• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

Been really impressed with him since he arrived but he's looked a bit shaky in the last few games. His decision making in particular. Still I guess I shouldn't forget how young he is and accept that he's still getting used to the league.
I think yesterday he started poorly and then perhaps let it affect him a little mentally. Experience is king with central defenders, Sanchez will get better and better as he gains this.

Been really impressed with him since he arrived but he's looked a bit shaky in the last few games. His decision making in particular. Still I guess I shouldn't forget how young he is and accept that he's still getting used to the league.
I agree. He's young and going through a mini-bad patch -- and of course mistakes at CB tend not to go unnoticed. For example he misjudged a sliding clearance on Sunday, in difficult conditions, and scored an own goal. He made the right decision in going for that clearance, as it could have turned into something close to a tap-in for Gabiaddini (I think), but the execution was marginally off. That's a failure in execution -- there are other examples that I can't think of right now where he's made the wrong decision, e.g. getting caught on the wrong side, but far fewer than I'd expect of a young defender in his first season here.

Also, Opposition managers/forwards wouldn't have had a plan for him earlier in the season but they'll know all about him now. Which angles to run, how much worse he is on his left foot, etc.

I agree. He's young and going through a mini-bad patch -- and of course mistakes at CB tend not to go unnoticed. For example he misjudged a sliding clearance on Sunday, in difficult conditions, and scored an own goal. He made the right decision in going for that clearance, as it could have turned into something close to a tap-in for Gabiaddini (I think), but the execution was marginally off. That's a failure in execution -- there are other examples that I can't think of right now where he's made the wrong decision, e.g. getting caught on the wrong side, but far fewer than I'd expect of a young defender in his first season here.

Also, Opposition managers/forwards wouldn't have had a plan for him earlier in the season but they'll know all about him now. Which angles to run, how much worse he is on his left foot, etc.

The only iffy (if we’re being extreme) games he has had are when we have played in extreme weather and probably weather he has never experienced before

Swansea and SCBC were two days with shocking conditions and not conducive to good football

O.G aside he made some great tackles yesterday

True, including one brilliant block from a player advancing into the box and picking his spot, vital moments.

Yes, indeed. It's true that in addition to his unfortunate og (he was after all doing his best on a dodgy surface to prevent a goal) he also looked a bit out of sorts early on. Maybe one of those suffering from the effects of a bug? Who knows.

But the really good thing was he did not allow his head to go dowm, on the contrary he improved as the game progressed until eventually he redeemed himself with that great block late on.

Gotta like the guy, he gives of his best every game, he always looks composed and in control yet stays humble and you always feel confident when one-on-one he is equal to the challenge.

He is only going to get better with experience too.

He did the right thing yesterday. As someone said yesterday (Scara?) he also likely did not trust Vorm enough to allow him to claim. It was rank bad luck.

He did the right thing yesterday. As someone said yesterday (Scara?) he also likely did not trust Vorm enough to allow him to claim. It was rank bad luck.
Yeah. I think we need our centre backs to be brave in those situations and go for the clearance more often than not instead of letting the ball go past them too often. The occasional mistake will happen, but I think overall that's better than being too cautious in those situations.

Could perhaps be argued that by positioning himself slightly deeper he's in a better position to block that passing lane, leaving others to deal with a potential cut back. But again it's a close thing in a close call quick situation.

He a young player with a lot to learn, I don't get carried away with transfer fees as they often weigh heavy on young shoulders, unfortunately despite taking the tinkle out of every other clubs fans and their reactions to set backs we have our own groups of "fans" who want to hit the panic button at the slightest dip in form. So far this season I've seen negative views on all but Kane, Vertonghen and Alderweireld, and they get some stick now and then. It's incredible we are challenging in the league and Europe given we are struggling with such a poor group of players. Sure Stop! Hammer time, but the "Chicken Little" mentality is pathetic.

I've been impressed with him. He could be better on the ball and he tends to rely too much on blocking a player off from the ball rather than taking possession of it himself (cf the sending off), plus he is not as strong as he seems to thinks he is; other than that, he seems to have most of the tools.

Would not trade him for any CB in the premiership in the similar age bracket. Taken to the premiership like a duck to water.

Under the tutelage of alder and vertonghen he is only going to get better ... scary if you think about it.

Reminds me of a thoroughbred horse... no Bojack horseman here hahaha.

The false dawns of players like stones, mangala, Zouma, Keane etc should tell you everything in the player that we have

He a young player with a lot to learn, I don't get carried away with transfer fees as they often weigh heavy on young shoulders, unfortunately despite taking the tinkle out of every other clubs fans and their reactions to set backs we have our own groups of "fans" who want to hit the panic button at the slightest dip in form. So far this season I've seen negative views on all but Kane, Vertonghen and Alderweireld, and they get some stick now and then. It's incredible we are challenging in the league and Europe given we are struggling with such a poor group of players. Sure Stop! Hammer time, but the "Chicken Little" mentality is pathetic.

This.

Would not trade him for any CB in the premiership in the similar age bracket. Taken to the premiership like a duck to water.

Under the tutelage of alder and vertonghen he is only going to get better ... scary if you think about it.

Reminds me of a thoroughbred horse... no Bojack horseman here hahaha.

The false dawns of players like stones, mangala, Zouma, Keane etc should tell you everything in the player that we have

And this.

I wouldn't say Stones has had a false dawn, potentially overhyped yes but he's been playing pretty well although does make the odd mistake. Will clearly be a top level defender in the coming years. He's also been unfortunate that Kompany hasn't been around to learn of.

Seeing the money that Laporte has gone for who is 3 years older and never played outside of his own country or for his country, it makes the Sanchez deal look even better

Back