• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

Indeed, he did get done on a few occassions and was fortunate not to get sent off when tangling with Abraham - weird considering Swansea didnt even try and attack according to some.

That being said he is 21, and has all the attributes to be a complete defender and in fact in the few games Ive seen him in including vs Man U in cup final he looked incredibly solid so just put it down to being all part of the learning curve....

Fair play ;)

I'm insinuating nothing of the sort. I'm counterbalancing what has been nothing buy praise for him so far.

I'm commenting on parts of his game that need improvement, or they will cost us. And by the very next game he may sort them out, but as it stands I would be worried about him against better forwards in the system that we play.

...strength and pace don't seem elite for the premiership where they were perhaps in the Dutch league.

So what was that if it wasn't insinuating that he will not make it in the premiership?

So what was that if it wasn't insinuating that he will not make it in the premiership?

Saying that two of his attributes don't seem elite is hardly insinuating 'he won't make it' mate, especially when he explicitly said he was 100% not saying that.

It's seems impossible to have an interesting discussion about players' flaws / poor aspects of performance without people jumping on it as being over the top criticism.

For my part I thought Sanchez was really poor against Swansea for the very little he had to do, but am in no way reading anything into it after 2 games.

Well if you read it again... You will see I wrote 'not elite for the premiership' what I didn't write was ' not good enough for the premiership '

There is a world of difference in those two statements

Saying that two of his attributes don't seem elite is hardly insinuating 'he won't make it' mate, especially when he explicitly said he was 100% not saying that.

It's seems impossible to have an interesting discussion about players' flaws / poor aspects of performance without people jumping on it as being over the top criticism.

For my part I thought Sanchez was really poor against Swansea for the very little he had to do, but am in no way reading anything into it after 2 games.

Thanks for that. I thought it interesting that Olie choose to only quote one part of my paragraph as well. And yeah I totally agree only 2 games in.

Well if you read it again... You will see I wrote 'not elite for the premiership' what I didn't write was ' not good enough for the premiership '

There is a world of difference in those two statements

Ok, tell me.

Ok, tell me.

As I read it, saying certain attributes are not elite for the Premiership means that they aren't up there with the quickest or strongest in the league. But that doesn't mean the player isn't good enough for the league. For example, Toby's pace and strength aren't elite by Premier League standards (you could say Kyle Walker has elite level pace, Dembele has elite level strength). However, Toby is probably the best centre-half in the division.

I think he is exciting.

While clearly he isnt perfect (who expected such!?) its obvious the massive potential he has.

Ive no doubt he will mess up, it happens to all defenders - and especially rookie players - but I dont mind. Long term this guy looks like he could be something really special.

And, obviously, it would help him a lot to reaching that goal if we supported him ;)

I think he is exciting.

While clearly he isnt perfect (who expected such!?) its obvious the massive potential he has.

Ive no doubt he will mess up, it happens to all defenders - and especially rookie players - but I dont mind. Long term this guy looks like he could be something really special.

And, obviously, it would help him a lot to reaching that goal if we supported him ;)

I have never understood fans who think that players ( especially young ones) who move over here from a different country should fit in right away. Its a whole different way of life, food, pace and a more physical game and it can take some time for players to settle in. I have been lucky enough to have played in several countrys and there is nothing that comperes to the English game( its faster, harder and tougher) and it takes time.

As you say he has bags of potential but he has to adapt to our game ( and because of that Will make mistakes) but he will learn from them.

As I read it, saying certain attributes are not elite for the Premiership means that they aren't up there with the quickest or strongest in the league. But that doesn't mean the player isn't good enough for the league. For example, Toby's pace and strength aren't elite by Premier League standards (you could say Kyle Walker has elite level pace, Dembele has elite level strength). However, Toby is probably the best centre-half in the division.

That's exactly what I meant. And what that term of phrase actually means @Olle73

Jesus, the kid is 21 years of age, playing in a different country and a much faster game and there are some who are picking holes in him. I despair of fans on occasion. :(

Dude no one is picking holes in him. I am saying these are the things that I identify as concerns in his game. Because you know.... this is a football forum and want to talk about football.

Dude no one is picking holes in him. I am saying these are the things that I identify as concerns in his game. Because you know.... this is a football forum and want to talk about football.

Sorry Dude i did not relise you were a expert on players, You must be if you can judge a player ( playing in a new country and a much faster game) after just TWO games. Your words below suggest you know what your talking about if you can voice concerns or SERIOUS flaws in such a short time. :confused:

(What I am commenting on is the serious flaws i see in one of our players)

( I am saying these are the things that I identify as concerns in his game)

Sorry Dude i did not relise you were a expert on players, You must be if you can judge a player ( playing in a new country and a much faster game) after just TWO games. Your words below suggest you know what your talking about if you can voice concerns or SERIOUS flaws in such a short time. :confused:

Out of interest, what kinds of conversations do you come on a Spurs forum to have? What enjoyment do you get out of it?

Genuine question, not trying to be snide or sarcastic / rhetorical.

You disagree with what I stated?

You disagree with what I stated?

Well you have made a statement that you can see "serious flaws in one of our players", despite him only being 21 and playing only a couple of games in a different league which is much more physical and faster. Now i would say that is a BIG statement to utter, at best you have overestimated what flaws he may have so yes i could not disagree more with you.

I recall Toby in his early games for Spurs looking slightly shaky and giving away a seriously daft penalty at home to Stoke, costing us 3 points as a result.

He didn't turn out too bad now did he!!??!

Well you have made a statement that you can see "serious flaws in one of our players", despite him only being 21 and playing only a couple of games in a different league which is much more physical and faster. Now i would say that is a BIG statement to utter, at best you have overestimated what flaws he may have so yes i could not disagree more with you.

That's fair play and you have worked in the game which I haven't. So you would be in a better place to judge then I.

Out of interest if you were working in the game still and you were asked to write a report based on his games for us... would your report include some of the points that I raised? Seems to get too close? Seems rash, positioning not up to speed yet? While strong and fast neither at a elite level for the premiership

I'm 100% not saying he won't make it... I'm not even saying that he won't end up being the best CB in the world. What I'm saying as someone who likes talking about football and what I see in a player. Is that as it stands these are the flaws in his game that I have noticed over the extremely short period of time he has been a spurs player.

Jesus, the kid is 21 years of age, playing in a different country and a much faster game and there are some who are picking holes in him. I despair of fans on occasion. :(

Exactly, the kid has only been playing for us for a couple of weeks WTF? If ever there was a time to be optimistic and positive about a player it would be now

All players make mistakes, it's the ones that learn and don't keep making the same mistakes that become good players. It's going to be tough for a young player dealing with a new country, language and culture, unfortunately one of the worse things about our current culture is everything is judged in the extreme, it's either fantastic or crap.
I think he will benefit from having a coach who has a good record of working with young players and two excellent defenders to help him.

Back