• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Welbeck info

He would've heard about it late, as an option, when his primary targets weren't going to happen. He would've sanctioned it. Low-risk gamble for him comparatively-speaking. I think it's a steal. I'm disappointed that once again, we didn't do the deal, but I remain convinced that Poch's prime prime target has always been Rodriguez, that he feels he can get him in Jan and that's why Wellbeck was to be a loan. I suspect that when a purchase price was on the table we balked. Personally, I think it's a mistake, but in Poch I trust...

I remember reading somewhere on the day after the Welbeck signing that it was indeed a signing Arsenal made over Wenger's head. I think wherever I read that mentioned lots of Gooner ITKs on twitter saying as much.

In the summer a Gooner I know also sent me some document snapshot that basically said that Gazidis and the board had made arrangements with the Puma sponsorship deal that meant that Wenger had less control over how the money was to be spent. The board have apparently gotten really frustrated with Wenger's tendancy to dither on transfer targets: last summer he apparently sanctioned the attempts to buy Higuain and Gustavo only to change him mind back and forth during later negotiations before both players were snapped up by other teams.

I think it is very plausible that Welbeck was bought by the board instead of Wenger. For him to come out with a quote like "if I was in the country on the day he wouldn't have joined" is not just a slip of the tongue imo. Wenger is VERY media-savvy and he would have known how that would have come across. Plus he has hardly said a word about the signing for over a week; something very rare I think....

i'm wondering if its more of a dig at the board, not "i wouldn't have signed Welbeck" but "if i'd have been in England we would have got one of the other deals done"

i'm wondering if its more of a dig at the board, not "i wouldn't have signed Welbeck" but "if i'd have been in England we would have got one of the other deals done"

...so then the question would straight away be "well why weren't you in England instead of swanning off to do some charity game then??"

I also believe they wanted to be absolutely sure we didn't get him. Two birds - one stone. I think they are keenly aware that we could catch them.

LVG is spot on about Welbeck. If he's not of the standard for an average Utd team then Arsenal are welcome to him. Good business by Utd. I see Welbeck at Arsenal being like Bent at Spurs. Of course, only time will tell.

LVG is spot on about Welbeck. If he's not of the standard for an average Utd team then Arsenal are welcome to him. Good business by Utd. I see Welbeck at Arsenal being like Bent at Spurs. Of course, only time will tell.
I disagree, Welbeck is a significantly better player than Bent and has a lot more to his game.

it was strange Wenger was out in Rome on a charity do,on the last day of the transfer window,he must have said if he came available that he would take him,i presume on loan.

He must have had a phonecall to say the only way they were going to have him was to buy him,since Giroud is out till Xmas he had no other option with transfer clock ticking down.

it was strange Wenger was out in Rome on a charity do,on the last day of the transfer window,he must have said if he came available that he would take him,i presume on loan.

He must have had a phonecall to say the only way they were going to have him was to buy him,since Giroud is out till Xmas he had no other option with transfer clock ticking down.
An Arsenal supporting mate of mine had said that he had been out of the country on the last day of the last few windows.

I disagree with that as well Welbeck is a very poor player IMO. Very poor and I'm glad we didn't sign him.
I think that he clearly has more to his game than Bent. Imagine Bent being played wide and being forced to work for the team. I would agree that Welbeck is far from proven but the components are there, the question is can he take advantage of this chance.

that can be your opinion, but even then, he's still way ahead of bent, like every other pro footballer ever

I wouldn't want to compare him to Bent not sure why that even cropped up? It's also the opinion of quite a few so I'm not alone he really is poor.

I think that he clearly has more to his game than Bent. Imagine Bent being played wide and being forced to work for the team. I would agree that Welbeck is far from proven but the components are there, the question is can he take advantage of this chance.

We'll have to see but not sure what this obsession with comparing him to Bent is? Is it that they simply aren't very good?

Anyone know if there is a vine clip or youtube of the Arsenal fans cheering when its announced he wasn't signing for Arsenal whilst live on SSN outside the ground.

To be honest the Bent comparison was tounge in cheek, but my point was that I dont think he will be a success at Arsenal in the long term.

We'll have to see but not sure what this obsession with comparing him to Bent is? Is it that they simply aren't very good?

Scores two goals for England and look at all the fuss over him :lol: Been talking about it on talksport all week too. Funny how people almost ignore Welbeck and Heskey's games when they don't score, but in the rare games they do score they highlight as to why they makes them such good players.

It's an interesting viewpoint. Personally I disagree, but in terms of a comparative purchase in recent times it's a decent one, although Bent was banging them in for Charlton. Irony is there is a striker I did not want at all, and here is one I would've loved to see…we shall, as you said, see mate...EDIT. I think the comparison made sense with regards to when they were each bought. Not stylistically perhaps, but it made sense to my aging brain.

Back