• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

Agreed, and even if anything he said wasn’t that shocking or whatever in isolation (although the Google thing definitely was disrespectful), the fact that he was giving these kind of interviews at all is breaking ranks from a tight knit unit and didn’t need to be done.
it was done with forethought and intention - but, again, if Poche has managed the situation, then I back the player. Still a lot to play for this season ...

Not sure I'd call either of those scenarios an outright strike tbf. Neither refused to play as such.

Modric struggled to come to terms with our point-blank refusal to sell as I suspect all but the most exceptionally committed would. He believed Levy had promised when he signed him that the club would let him go when a bigger club came in for him so it was not just a one-sided thing. After licking his wounds he carried on playing for another season and played a big part in helping us qualify for the CL that season.

As for Bale I believe there was more to it than what you have just cited. Levy was no doubt busy doing what Levy does best, leveraging the most outrageous deal imaginable. That took time and would have tinkled even the most angelic of saints right off.

For my part I have more sympathy with their stances than that of Berbatov which amounted to outright rebellion and refusal to play. That's what I call a strike.

Hmm, maybe not the level of Berbatov but Modric still refused to play in a competitive match for us because his "head wasn't right". Translated, I don't want to get injured and spoil my move to Chelsea.

Those players didn't claim to have to Google their teammates, and asked for a transfer to the top club in the world when they were at their absolute peak and far outpacing Spurs.

Rose insulted his teammates, insulted the club, bitched about a contract he'd only just signed and hadn't yet earned any of, all of this whilst getting paid to what appears to have been chomping Mars bars like a foie gras duck eats corn.

Didn't Modric also want to sign for Chelsea IIRC before he was sold to Real? He wasn't shy about going public either too. No understand word triffic, don't like chicken badge etc?

it was done with forethought and intention - but, again, if Poche has managed the situation, then I back the player. Still a lot to play for this season ...

Agreed. If Poch wants a line to be drawn, I’m fully happy with getting behind him for the season and have been doing so.

Hmm, maybe not the level of Berbatov but Modric still refused to play in a competitive match for us because his "head wasn't right". Translated, I don't want to get injured and spoil my move to Chelsea.
It could be you are right about that but given the dispute over his contract and what his understanding of the agreement was when he signed I'm still inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Levy is a past master at negotiations so it would not surprise me if Modric got hold of the wrong end of the stick. He was very confident at the time of his case, that is for sure. As a result his head was not right because from his perspective he felt badly let down by his employers. On a much more mundane scale I have been in a similar place with my employer and believe me when you are in that state of mind you really are no good to anybody. You're certainly in no state to give you're all to a company you feel has pulled a fast one on you to stop you furthering your career.

Obviously neither of us knows the full ins-and-outs, but I certainly would not rely totally on what I am fed by the media whose main aim is to make as much of a story as they can. Don't forget Cheatski would also have been working away in the background, putting out their slant on things to journos.

At the end of the day he earned my respect for overcoming his fury and doing his best for us once the season got going.

Didn't Modric also want to sign for Chelsea IIRC before he was sold to Real? He wasn't shy about going public either too. No understand word triffic, don't like chicken badge etc?
A club who had won the league a season ago and finished second that year. They'd just won an FA Cup and were CL regulars (quarter finals I think that year). He was one of the best midfielders in the world at the time and was wasting away at Spurs.

He was looking for a big step up and when he was told he wouldn't be allowed to sign for a rival just got on with his job and had his best season for us.

What he did is a very long way from what Rose has done. Let's bear in mind that Rose played a whole 8 matches under his new, more lucrative contract before he started acting like a clam about it.

Last edited:
A club who had won the league a season ago and finished second that year. They'd just won an FA Cup and we're CL regulars (quarter finals I think that year). He was one of the best midfielders in the world at the time and was wasting away at Spurs.

He was looking for a big step up and when he was told he wouldn't be allowed to sign for a rival just got on with his job and had his best season for us.

What he did is a very long way from what Rose has done. Let's bear in mind that Rose played a whole 8 matches under his new, more lucrative contract before he started acting like a clam about it.

Would you be cool if Poch decided he wanted to go to Chelsea at the start of next season and didn't fancy turning up for our first game as his "head wasn't right"? Just trying to establish what's acceptable and what isn't.

Rose was out for a long time but he had a good game against SCBC. He hasn't quite reached the heights that we know he can but it hasn't helped that Poch has chopped and changed the full backs so regularly. I'm confident he will get back to his best provided he is the first choice for the majority of games going forward. He's still a Spurs player for now so I have no reason not to root for him.

Not sure I'd call either of those scenarios an outright strike tbf. Neither refused to play as such.

Modric struggled to come to terms with our point-blank refusal to sell as I suspect all but the most exceptionally committed would. He believed Levy had promised when he signed him that the club would let him go when a bigger club came in for him so it was not just a one-sided thing. After licking his wounds he carried on playing for another season and played a big part in helping us qualify for the CL that season.

As for Bale I believe there was more to it than what you have just cited. Levy was no doubt busy doing what Levy does best, leveraging the most outrageous deal imaginable. That took time and would have tinkled even the most angelic of saints right off.

For my part I have more sympathy with their stances than that of Berbatov which amounted to outright rebellion and refusal to play. That's what I call a strike.

Yeah what does that muppet Levy think he's playing at, fudge the club keep the stars happy till they jump ship.

Would you be cool if Poch decided he wanted to go to Chelsea at the start of next season and didn't fancy turning up for our first game as his "head wasn't right"? Just trying to establish what's acceptable and what isn't.
Not now because the gulf between the teams has closed. I'd be fine if Barca or Bayern Munich wanted him and he left.

Rose was out for a long time but he had a good game against SCBC. He hasn't quite reached the heights that we know he can but it hasn't helped that Poch has chopped and changed the full backs so regularly. I'm confident he will get back to his best provided he is the first choice for the majority of games going forward. He's still a Spurs player for now so I have no reason not to root for him.
You have every reason to want things to go at least a bit badly for Rose. There has to be some kind of disincentive for the rest of the team, otherwise they'll all be doing it every time their greed exceeds their worth.

You have every reason to want things to go at least a bit badly for Rose. There has to be some kind of disincentive for the rest of the team, otherwise they'll all be doing it every time their greed exceeds their worth.

Poch has made him work to try and get his place back. Even now, I think that he is still second choice behind Davies.

Poch has made him work to try and get his place back. Even now, I think that he is still second choice behind Davies.
I think that's a bit weak if it's all that happens.

He was injured and scoffing Mars Bars for the best part of a year, the place would have needed winning back anyway.

I think that's a bit weak if it's all that happens.

He was injured and scoffing Mars Bars for the best part of a year, the place would have needed winning back anyway.

I'm happy that Poch will deal with it appropriately and keep it behind closed doors. He has been pretty unforgiving of dissent before.

I doubt that he would be anywhere near the first team if he was overweight. I think that it is most likely that he has hit the gym whilst out and only been able to work on his upper body because of where the injury was.

Tbh I think we've probably thrashed this to death now. We're obviously never going to agree, but no problem, let's just leave it there and move on.

I'm happy that Poch will deal with it appropriately and keep it behind closed doors. He has been pretty unforgiving of dissent before.

I doubt that he would be anywhere near the first team if he was overweight. I think that it is most likely that he has hit the gym whilst out and only been able to work on his upper body because of where the injury was.
I agree that he's been bulking his upper body - too much IMO. He needs to be a bit trimmer to be properly effective, I think.

The Mars Bar stuff is mainly tinkletaking, but the shape of his face shows he has been a good bit bigger recently, even if he's trimmed it a bit now.

I'm perfectly happy for Poch to deal with things internally - I'd prefer that over the alternatives. If it's restricted to just having to win his place back then it's a bit weak. Surely that's the default position for anyone returning from injury.

I agree that he's been bulking his upper body - too much IMO. He needs to be a bit trimmer to be properly effective, I think.

It's a common with players who are out for a while. It must be tough to be a professional sportsman who cannot train, so it is easy to understand the pull of the gym.

It's a common with players who are out for a while. It must be tough to be a professional sportsman who cannot train, so it is easy to understand the pull of the gym.
There's plenty of upper body cardio work that doesn't bulk.

Back