• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

Well personally i would keep Davies ( if he is happy to stay), Rose has earned the num one spot but imo Davies is also a good player and has never let us down when called upon. The bonus is he can also play in a back three set up ( which he did well for Wales) and can fill in at CB if needed.

Of course it will depend on if he is happy to give it a couple more years, as said above he is only 23 so he will have plenty of time to progress.

Davies is a very decent player but he isn't as dynamic as Rose and doesn't have that explosiveness

If we could trade him up/down and get in a rapid young lad with potential too (Sessegnon for example) then it makes sense for all parties

I wouldn't sell him for the sake of it as he is avery good player

Davies is a very decent player but he isn't as dynamic as Rose and doesn't have that explosiveness

If we could trade him up/down and get in a rapid young lad with potential too (Sessegnon for example) then it makes sense for all parties

I wouldn't sell him for the sake of it as he is avery good player

The only problem with Sessegnon replacing Davies as back up to Rose is that he is only 16, i have heard good things about him and he may be one for the future but to be back up to Rose just now at 16 is not really good for him or us.

As i have said Davies is not Rose but he is as good a back up that we are likely to find and at 23 who knows how good he could become. I would have no problem with bringing Sessegnon in but i can not believe he is good enough ( yet) to be considered a starter if Rose is absent.

The only problem with Sessegnon replacing Davies as back up to Rose is that he is only 16, i have heard good things about him and he may be one for the future but to be back up to Rose just now at 16 is not really good for him or us.

As i have said Davies is not Rose but he is as good a back up that we are likely to find and at 23 who knows how good he could become. I would have no problem with bringing Sessegnon in but i can not believe he is good enough ( yet) to be considered a starter if Rose is absent.

Agreed. That seems too young to be the primary backup for Rose. Though if he really is a fantastic talent he might just be the right age as a longer term replacement for the left back position. But paying significant money for 16 year old talent hasn't really been our strategy in recent years and I think we have our reasons for that.

We have Jan/wimmer and KWP who plays their too

Of course, however i have not seen enough of KWP to say how good or not he is ( and i thought he was more of a right back?), and i would hate to split the pairing of Jan/Toby up as for Wimmer well i think at a push he could play there but why would we sell a player who is better in that posistion ( Davies) to allow a part time full back to play.

As i said earlier Davies is a good player ( and only 23) and IF he is willing to stay and fight for a place i see no good reason we should not allow him to do that.

Of course, however i have not seen enough of KWP to say how good or not he is ( and i thought he was more of a right back?), and i would hate to split the pairing of Jan/Toby up as for Wimmer well i think at a push he could play there but why would we sell a player who is better in that posistion ( Davies) to allow a part time full back to play.

As i said earlier Davies is a good player ( and only 23) and IF he is willing to stay and fight for a place i see no good reason we should not allow him to do that.

Honestly... id keep him no probs but dont think its best for him

Wimmer has shown nothing to suggest he can do a good job there while playing Jan there means breaking up the best central defensive partnership in the league. As for KWP I need to see him play at this level before I can comment on him

Wimmer has shown nothing to suggest he can do a good job there while playing Jan there means breaking up the best central defensive partnership in the league. As for KWP I need to see him play at this level before I can comment on him

Again not gonna disagree. Just highlightinb they can play there

Could be. Ben Davies is still only 23 though - how much did Danny Rose improve in the last 3 years since he was 23? And although Trippier is the same age as Rose and Walker at 26 he's had his share of regular first team football at a smaller club. This is only his second season with us and I'm guessing he would have to step down to perhaps a relegation candidate to be guaranteed regular football? He might be happy with a couple more years as a backup perhaps with a chance to win a trophy - something he might not otherwise get to experience. I have to say I'm very happy with both as backups at the moment. We managed to pick up both with PL experience fairly cheaply as well. I imagine we might have to pay more if we're looking to replace them and similarly get experience and a good PL level in.

Eh. The problem with being Trippier's age and a PL player is that you start to want to force yourself into your national team setup - especially at a club like Spurs, I can imagine it would be a bit depressing to see all your team-mates head off to international duty on the breaks (including your competitor for an RB slot) while you're entering the prime of your career with naught to show for it but a spot as a backup RB. Assume that a move to any new club brings with it a period of adjustment - all the more reason for Trippier to move now, so that he can get that iffy period out of the way and hit his stride by the time he turns 28-29, so that he can at least attempt to get a few caps via a regular starting spot for a PL club. Same goes with a possible move down to a lower club and then (if he performs well) a move back up to a bigger club when he's 28-29 - if that is to remain a possibility, he needs to leave while he's still 26-27 so he can impress at said lower club for at least a couple of seasons prior to the move back up.

Davies is younger, but the same dilemma presents itself to him - he probably has a better grip on the LB/CB role at Wales than Trippier does on the RB slot for Engand, but he has competitors (Neil Taylor for the LB slot, a range of players for that LCB position), and he isn't getting any younger. He's 23-24 now, so maybe if he moves back down to a lower club and gets regular football, he can move back up at 25-26 and then (if he continues performing well) move even higher up at 27-28 to conclude his career with a period spent playing for another Spurs-sized club (or perhaps an even bigger one). All of which would guarantee his selection for Wales more than sitting on the bench at Spurs would.

And then, of course, there are the wages and sponsorship deals to consider - more time spent playing regular first-team football would lead to higher wages over the medium term than sitting as a backup RB at Spurs, with our considerably strict wage policy. And the exposure would help both of them secure more lucrative sponsorship deals.

I'd like it if both of them stayed - there isn't much wrong with them as backups, although I wouldn't like to rely on either for too long a period. But there are reasons why there tends to be a regular churn of backup players at most clubs, and at a club of our size (fairly high up on the football ladder), the concerns laid out above are the chief reasons for that squad churn, imo. Part of the business - and I think it's probably safe to expect that our backups won't stay at the club for more than 2-3 years in most cases.

Last edited:
Eh. The problem with being Trippier's age and a PL player is that you start to want to force yourself into your national team setup - especially at a club like Spurs, I can imagine it would be a bit depressing to see all your team-mates head off to international duty on the breaks (including your competitor for an RB slot) while you're entering the prime of your career with naught to show for it but a spot as a backup RB. Assume that a move to any new club brings with it a period of adjustment - all the more reason for Trippier to move now, so that he can get that iffy period out of the way and hit his stride by the time he turns 28-29, so that he can at least attempt to get a few caps via a regular starting spot for a PL club. Same goes with a possible move down to a lower club and then (if he performs well) a move back up to a bigger club when he's 28-29 - if that is to remain a possibility, he needs to leave while he's still 26-27 so he can impress at said lower club for at least a couple of seasons prior to the move back up.

Davies is younger, but the same dilemma presents itself to him - he probably has a better grip on the LB/CB role at Wales than Trippier does on the RB slot for Engand, but he has competitors (Neil Taylor for the LB slot, a range of players for that LCB position), and he isn't getting any younger. He's 23-24 now, so maybe if he moves back down to a lower club and gets regular football, he can move back up at 25-26 and then (if he continues performing well) move even higher up at 27-28 to conclude his career with a period spent playing for another Spurs-sized club (or perhaps an even bigger one). All of which would guarantee his selection for Wales more than sitting on the bench at Spurs would.

And then, of course, there are the wages and sponsorship deals to consider - more time spent playing regular first-team football would lead to higher wages over the medium term than sitting as a backup RB at Spurs, with our considerably strict wage policy. And the exposure would help both of them secure more lucrative sponsorship deals.

I'd like it if both of them stayed - there isn't much wrong with them as backups, although I wouldn't like to rely on either for too long a period. But there are reasons why there tends to be a regular churn of backup players at most clubs, and at a club of our size (fairly high up on the football ladder), the concerns laid out above are the chief reasons for that squad churn, imo. Part of the business - and I think it's probably safe to expect that our backups won't stay at the club for more than 2-3 years in most cases.

I agree with most of that. I just think there's a decent chance that the pros of staying will outweigh the cons for one or both of them come the summer.

Rose needs to pick up a tactical booking against Saints so he misses Watford and is back for Chelsea. He is too valuable to miss the Chelsea game.

Cynic that I am, I think that is why Costa and Kante got themselves yellows in their last game - so they will be available against us.

Rose needs to pick up a tactical booking against Saints so he misses Watford and is back for Chelsea. He is too valuable to miss the Chelsea game.

Cynic that I am, I think that is why Costa and Kante got themselves yellows in their last game - so they will be available against us.

Rose had his when we played them last time

Currently it's Victor, Verts and Walker running the tight rope

Rose had his when we played them last time

Currently it's Victor, Verts and Walker running the tight rope

thanks for that, I had forgotten. It was one of the reasons we didn't win that game. Then Verts and and/or Walker need to take the plunge against Soton as I wouldn't want to be without both of them against Chelscum. Victor we can always cover with Dier.

thanks for that, I had forgotten. It was one of the reasons we didn't win that game. Then Verts and and/or Walker need to take the plunge against Soton as I wouldn't want to be without both of them against Chelscum. Victor we can always cover with Dier.
Indeed, it is time we smartened up in this respect.
However, I would wait until the 75 min rather than the 26th min, as Costa got his yellow and Kante was let off by the ref.
You can bet whoever the ref is in the Southampton match will show us no leniency.

Back