• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Pandemics are never "due" - they don't come along on a schedule. You're basing your opinion on a fundamental misunderstanding of probability.

I'm just able to look at the bigger picture. It's a lovely idea to think that nobody will ever die ever again, but it's not realistic. So we have to take the least worst option here - and the answer is not spending every penny we (don't) have on low probability, low-medium effect events.

You ain't looking at the bigger picture, you just think you are.

Celebrated my 11 year olds birthday today, we've had a great day
Pressies by facetime with everybody, my Mrs made a lovely afternoon tea, pizza and now we're having a disco, been really good and she has enjoyed it

Pleased you had a good day, the kid isnt causing you problems anymore?

It’s not realistic for the country to run at a surplus in the NHS including space, staff and supplies for once every 100 years.
As Kandi has said, it's not once every hundred years, and we're not talking about space and staff. I doubt very much buying and storing enough PPE so we don't have to send our nursing staff in wearing bin bags is going to cost an insurmountable amount.

The concept is not that complex. And if they wanted to implement it they should have purchased or had made enough:
- ventilators,
- protective equipment for all front line staff,
- tracking and quarantine facilities,
- hospital staff and beds
- ICU beds

But most importantly made sure that immunity is actually possible and long term.

They done none of that. And that's what made herd immunity a no go.

Because any government that wont protect it's own people isnt worth brick.

And if they implemented it without taking the strategic planning and preparation that would be required to minimize what would still be huge losses then this whole country would be ripe for revolution

I absolutely agree with you here. I think my point was aimed at the general low understanding of how immunity and vaccines work amongst the population.

In terms of our prep for this being poor, it all boils down to how broken the NHS is, not just in terms of the cuts, but also in terms of how it spends what it does get. It's a beast that needs fixing.

I absolutely agree with you here. I think my point was aimed at the general low understanding of how immunity and vaccines work amongst the population.

In terms of our prep for this being poor, it all boils down to how broken the NHS is, not just in terms of the cuts, but also in terms of how it spends what it does get. It's a hunk of burning love that needs fixing.

I get the impression it is the admin side rather then the doctors and nurses that is the problem.

I get the impression it is the admin side rather then the doctors and nurses that is the problem.
Massively
They want to run it as business but like schools they think having expertise in the practical side e.g medicine or teaching means you can run the business
It’s changing but slowly
I know buying and come commercial and that side form what I’ve seen is antiquated and just incompetent

to add to that government people are quite gullible form what I’ve seen and take things on face value as the truth
Things you would naturally challenge in the private sector just get passed off

In terms of our prep for this being poor, it all boils down to how broken the NHS is, not just in terms of the cuts, but also in terms of how it spends what it does get. It's a hunk of burning love that needs fixing privatising.
Agreed ;)

As Kandi has said, it's not once every hundred years, and we're not talking about space and staff. I doubt very much buying and storing enough PPE so we don't have to send our nursing staff in wearing bin bags is going to cost an insurmountable amount.

Well it is because the others mentioned are not on this scale. And if we take the view that post SARS means there should have been a plan then that would have been on the administrations before Boris, not him.

You ain't looking at the bigger picture, you just think you are.
You've already stated that emotion is clouding your judgement, that immediately rules out any larger picture thought.

I understand it's not easy to think this way and that people feel uncomfortable that their lives are reduced to numbers, but that's the only way this kind of decision can be made.

We’ve been overdue a serious pandemic like this for some time. Scientists knew; Bill Gates was giving a TED talk on it a couple of years ago - our own government knew and had been war gaming it recently too. Unfortunately they chose to ignore all the lessons learned from that.

What we are doing at the moment is buying some time for a vaccine; getting to know more about the virus and therefore getting better at treating it, and limiting its spread; and working out the best way to try to let society function as well as possible while keeping the death rate as low as we can (clue: follow the South Korean model in the way we should have done from the start, if only our government hadn’t been so head-in-the-sand reactive in the early stages).

I like a lot of your posts but on this topic I can’t work out if you are on the wind up or just pretty stupid. I’ll choose to plump for believing the former. I always try to see the best in people. :D

Surely then if this plan should have been in place that it goes back further than a guy who is in power 2 months? Any failing on the NHS and planning surely spans more than one administration??

Surely then if this plan should have been in place that it goes back further than a guy who is in power 2 months? Any failing on the NHS and planning surely spans more than one administration??
It stems from the very concept of the NHS.

Look how well Germany is doing.

Back