• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Clinton Njie

Very raw but the talent is there, would much rather see him coming off the bench then Townsend.
Definitely, and he has been ahead of Townsend in the pecking order. I have high hopes for him next season, just want him to use this season to adapt and get used to the rigours of the pace and intensity etc of this league...

I'd play him ahead of Townsend and Lamela on yesterday's showing
It was one game and why Lamela is getting stick is beyond me. He had an average game,but wasn't any worse than the majority of our forward thinking players. He should get ahead of Kane too then if that's your thinking, and Kane has been below par for a while now...

Definitely, and he has been ahead of Townsend in the pecking order. I have high hopes for him next season, just want him to use this season to adapt and get used to the rigours of the pace and intensity etc of this league...

Yep same here, I nearly lost it with some brain dead macaron in the ground yesterday when he started to slag him off after he had come on, he has just turned 22 and needs time to settle. I despair with some of our fans nowadays they are fudging idiots.

Yep same here, I nearly lost it with some brain dead macaron in the ground yesterday when he started to slag him off after he had come on, he has just turned 22 and needs time to settle. I despair with some of our fans nowadays they are fudgeing idiots.

"If your brains were dynamite there wouldn't be enough to blow their hats off.”

That's a different argument altogether. Fact is he was far from outstanding, if it was Townsend who had given the ball away quite a few times in one half due to a poor touch you wouldn't of said he was relatively outstanding....

You're completely missing the point of the post though. It has nothing to do with Townsend. He has years of PL experience now and it's obvious he isn't good enough. The point is that N'jie showed massive improvement compared to previous outings.

You're completely missing the point of the post though. It has nothing to do with Townsend. He has years of PL experience now and it's obvious he isn't good enough. The point is that N'jie showed massive improvement compared to previous outings.
I haven't missed the point of your post, I was just questioning it. I agree Townsend isn't good enough. My point in mentioning Townsend is that you are always critical of him,even when he hasn't had a bad game. Clinton made many basic mistakes which I have no doubt you would have happily pointed out if was Townsend,yet you labelled his performance relatively excellent which I was surprised at. You have kind of qualified what your assessment was based on but I still think was over the top. He was ok, and showed some promise but wasn't anything special at all. Anyway, I think we agree with the fundamentals - Townsend isn't good enough, and Clinton has good potential...

I haven't missed the point of your post, I was just questioning it. I agree Townsend isn't good enough. My point in mentioning Townsend is that you are always critical of him,even when he hasn't had a bad game. Clinton made many basic mistakes which I have no doubt you would have happily pointed out if was Townsend,yet you labelled his performance relatively excellent which I was surprised at. You have kind of qualified what your assessment was based on but I still think was over the top. He was ok, and showed some promise but wasn't anything special at all. Anyway, I think we agree with the fundamentals - Townsend isn't good enough, and Clinton has good potential...

I think it is fair to give N'Jie the benefit of the doubt over some basic mistakes given he is younger than Townsend and has much less experience so I'm not sure I agree with you. However, what I do find frustrating is that for some players with relatively similar levels of experience, basic mistakes are ignored or at best slightly commented on and for other players, a complete meal is made of them. Dembele and Lamela are perfect examples of this, and I know that were Townsend to put in a good performance, the same would be the case. However, Townsend hasn't so the criticism is fair.

My personal opinion is that I would love for Townsend to succeed. I also think that he does have the potential but it's tough. I think he is one of those players where everything needs to be in his favour to work, rather than him adapting to any given situation. I sometimes think that he is simply a 4-4-2 winger and nothing else. If he hugged the touchline and just bombed up and down it all day, he would be quite effective. But, how many teams play that way? We certainly don't, so he has to adapt to being an inside forward and also has to adapt to how we play.

In the second-half, Clinton played a very tight, very disciplined and very tactically 'smart' game, keeping things tight and doubtless curbing his natural inclination to burst onto anything that moved ahead of him. It showed a maturity I wasn't sure he currently had. Aside from his superb shot and the other chance he had, this was a side to his game which showed me he is able to do what Andros seems to find hard to do - keep things tight and be disciplined when necessary. I think he is going to be a really good player.

We should play N'jie more now. He's raw, but his pace in the scouser game created chances. He doesn't have to be perfect and if he makes mistakes in the forward positions he plays, it's not going to cost us.

We should play N'jie more now. He's raw, but his pace in the scouser game created chances. He doesn't have to be perfect and if he makes mistakes in the forward positions he plays, it's not going to cost us.

Well, in the Liverpool game he came on for Chadli and there was one instance after 5-10 mins when their RB pushed forward and created a 2 on 1 against Rose, whilst Njie was lingering on the half way line

Early days but from what I've seen I actually think he's better used as a CF given that (i) he doesn't really have the skills/trickery to play out wide and (ii) if he plays as a CF and used his pace to get past someone, then he's through on goal.

Well, in the Liverpool game he came on for Chadli and there was one instance after 5-10 mins when their RB pushed forward and created a 2 on 1 against Rose, whilst Njie was lingering on the half way line

Early days but from what I've seen I actually think he's better used as a CF given that (i) he doesn't really have the skills/trickery to play out wide and (ii) if he plays as a CF and used his pace to get past someone, then he's through on goal.

I saw that and grimaced BUT credit where it is due, he absolutely locked in second-half and was really strong as a team player as well as individual. I like this lad a lot.

I saw that and grimaced BUT credit where it is due, he absolutely locked in second-half and was really strong as a team player as well as individual. I like this lad a lot.

Absolutely agree. I think he just needs to get used to Poch's system and he will be a winner for us. That pace is electric!

He grew into the game imo and became more dangerous with time, which makes me wonder if he should be given more game time when brought on as a sub (which is going to be the majority of his games at this point).

I know it's still early and we haven't seen much of him, but how do you guys think he compares to Mané?

In the second-half, Clinton played a very tight, very disciplined and very tactically 'smart' game, keeping things tight and doubtless curbing his natural inclination to burst onto anything that moved ahead of him. It showed a maturity I wasn't sure he currently had. Aside from his superb shot and the other chance he had, this was a side to his game which showed me he is able to do what Andros seems to find hard to do - keep things tight and be disciplined when necessary. I think he is going to be a really good player.

I think he needs to be used in the middle. His footballing skills (by which I mean passing, crossing, control etc) are relatively poor compared to the standard of attackers in the top half of the PL but his pace is exceptional. So he'd be better off in the middle where he doesn't need to take half a dozen touches and also where if his pace means that he beats his marker, then he's through on goal

Back