• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Clinton N'Jie

We don't know who our targets are or were or how far down our list N'jie is.

If we had wanted any of the players that Villa signed, I have no doubt that we would have won that battle. Do you? Really?

i didnt say that we wanted the players Villa signed, just that they targeted them and got the deals done.

Yes........because they weren't waiting on other targets. Self evidently.

and are flush with the Benteke/Delph money and probably went straight in with high offers - kind of like what we done the summer we sold Bale

Yes........because they weren't waiting on other targets. Self evidently.

or they simply Villa made quick decisions because their targets for each position were much of a muchness and thought lets make offers and see which are accepted and go with them. So in Tottenham's case, if all summer we have been chasing one of Martial, Werner and Njie then surely by now we could have got one of them in. We tried for Martial and he knocked us back very early in the summer, so quickly just move onto the other two.

look, right now im past caring who we sign or when we sign them, if we sign Njie, Mbop or NDubz or whoever on Sept 1st then thats just the way it is.

All this talk about what other teams are doing just smacks of a "keeping up with the Jones'" type mentality. How have Liverpool signed so many players? How have Aston Villa, of all teams, managed to secure so many signings. Why have we not signed more than the players we have already signed?
The players that Aston Villa have signed are highly rated? Great. Capoue, Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela and Chiriches were highly rated as well so let's repeat history and sign players like them! Perhaps we just don't rate them as much as Aston Villa, and we don't think they will improve our team.

If you believe that our club is dithering in the transfer market and only using ITK, press articles and the fact we have only signed 4 players so far, that's fine. We are fishing in a pool of player that will improve us. We finished fifth. That pool of player that we are after is the same pool of player that the CL teams are after and we are at the bottom of that food chain, so we have to wait and be patient. We will miss out on targets because we will be outbid. Aston Villa are looking for mid-table quality PL players. We don't dabble in that market unless it is to get squad players. I think we need to have a dose of realism in that we're shopping in places where we cannot really afford. So we will have to wait for that special offer, display model, end of season sale or surprise sale. Yes, we could go to the pound shop and show how rich we are to make ourselves feel better, but who's the fool then?

The only clubs to buy their way into the Champions League spots are Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and now Man United in getting back there. We have zero chance of spending the same amount of money as them to do it. Our path is very different.

and are flush with the Benteke/Delph money and probably went straight in with high offers - kind of like what we done the summer we sold Bale

the French market is full of cheap players, Villa didnt spend much on each target

All this talk about what other teams are doing just smacks of a "keeping up with the Jones'" type mentality. How have Liverpool signed so many players? How have Aston Villa, of all teams, managed to secure so many signings. Why have we not signed more than the players we have already signed?
The players that Aston Villa have signed are highly rated? Great. Capoue, Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela and Chiriches were highly rated as well so let's repeat history and sign players like them! Perhaps we just don't rate them as much as Aston Villa, and we don't think they will improve our team.

If you believe that our club is dithering in the transfer market and only using ITK, press articles and the fact we have only signed 4 players so far, that's fine. We are fishing in a pool of player that will improve us. We finished fifth. That pool of player that we are after is the same pool of player that the CL teams are after and we are at the bottom of that food chain, so we have to wait and be patient. We will miss out on targets because we will be outbid. Aston Villa are looking for mid-table quality PL players. We don't dabble in that market unless it is to get squad players. I think we need to have a dose of realism in that we're shopping in places where we cannot really afford. So we will have to wait for that special offer, display model, end of season sale or surprise sale. Yes, we could go to the pound shop and show how rich we are to make ourselves feel better, but who's the fool then?

The only clubs to buy their way into the Champions League spots are Chel53a, Emirates Marketing Project and now Man United in getting back there. We have zero chance of spending the same amount of money as them to do it. Our path is very different.

not true. Njie and Werner are not wanted by CL teams, neither were Wimmer, Alderweireld and Trippier. We are fishing in the mid level cheap market. we are looking for cheap back ups for Kane, Mason and Chadli.

Clinton - a popular name when I were a lad in the 80's. Like Barry, criminally underused now :D

went in high... relative to their value

is what i meant

not really

Amavi, rated as one of the best left backs in europe cost 9 mill. Gueye a very consistent box to box mid cost 7 mill. Veretout and Ayew cost 10 mill each, Ayew had just as good a season as Njie last season in terms of goals and assists.

they targeted the areas they needed strengthening and got the players in without overpaying. Thats what i was saying, the French market is good value for mid level cheap buys. its why we like to go shopping there ;)

not true. Njie and Werner are not wanted by CL teams, neither were Wimmer, Alderweireld and Trippier. We are fishing in the mid level cheap market. we are looking for cheap back ups for Kane, Mason and Chadli.

And we managed to secure Wimmer, Alderweireld and Trippier so 3 out of 5. There are so many factors that could be delaying the signings of Njie and Werner so I am going to write down a few:

Njie - plays for Lyon who we have history with. The Chairman delayed the sale of Lloris, so we know he likes to negotiate. Also, Lacazette may potentially be moving, in which case they may want to keep Njie. If only one of them is allowed to leave, they will want to be ensuring they extract the maximum value from whoever is interested to ensure they get the best deal. This will take time, and unless someone comes in with a really high offer, logic would say keep playing people off against each other until you know you have extracted the most out of them. Then of course there is the player himself. He could be holding out for a CL team and won't want to move to Spurs until he realises that none of these CL teams want him. There's a long time left of the transfer window for these teams to make themselves known;

The same arguments could be applied to Werner who is apparently one of the brightest prospects in Germany.

Now if, as you say, we are looking for cheap back ups, I really don't understand the urgency and frustration with not getting these players in! They're only backups and we have till 1 September to sign people.

The only clubs to buy their way into the Champions League spots are Chel53a, Emirates Marketing Project and now Man United in getting back there. We have zero chance of spending the same amount of money as them to do it. Our path is very different.

Good post, the grass is always greener elswhere according to some.

or they simply Villa made quick decisions because their targets for each position were much of a muchness and thought lets make offers and see which are accepted and go with them. So in Tottenham's case, if all summer we have been chasing one of Martial, Werner and Njie then surely by now we could have got one of them in. We tried for Martial and he knocked us back very early in the summer, so quickly just move onto the other two.

look, right now im past caring who we sign or when we sign them, if we sign Njie, Mbop or NDubz or whoever on Sept 1st then thats just the way it is.

Or no other club at a comparable or higher level than Villa was interested in the players they bought? We tend to operate at a higher level in the transfer market and therefore meet with much stiffer competition.

Excellent post.

We don't know who our targets are or were or how far down our list N'jie is.

If we had wanted any of the players that Villa signed, I have no doubt that we would have won that battle. Do you? Really?
I think it is reasonably clear that Martial was our first choice target, after that though I haven't got a Scooby!

Well, we've signed Wimmer, Alderweireld and Trippier. Nice and early too. Earlier than Villa made their signings. QED.

As to N'jie and Werner, perhaps they are not wanted by other top teams. I couldn't say. But perhaps....and this is the point that I think you are ignoring......perhaps neither is or was our first choice or anything like? Perhaps there are other players at a higher level that we have been chasing, and maybe still are?

I think N'jie will work out. If we sign Berahino as well, we will be quite well set for the season.

Why wait till two days before start of season is my argument !!! If these were targets like manager said said they had back in June or may even why wait ?? These players are not top top players with huge huge restating so very gettable and in relative terms not that expensive so how come they not in ?? It's all about the money with Spurs ... And it was always akwAys be last minute with levy in charge ..

Why wait till two days before start of season is my argument !!! If these were targets like manager said said they had back in June or may even why wait ?? These players are top top players and in relative terms not that expensive so how come they not in ?? It's all about the money with Spurs ... And it was always akwAys be last minute with levy in charge ..

I am not trying to be narky here but how do you think we should approach a transfer window? What do you think that we should do if a target or their club is waiting to see if any other clubs come in? What balance should we strike between bringing in players and moving on ones that we do not want? Given that 90% of all clubs transfer business is done in the last few days of the window, how fair is it to be complaining about our dealings when there is three weeks to go?

Back