• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I crashed off the Eriksen bandwagon after the Brighton game and would have been (and still would be ) happy never to see him in our shirt again.
Yesterday he was ineffectual/ineffective.
But... it seemed he was being asked to play a far more defensive role than usual. Stuck out on the right, he often seemed in a right back position, with Aurier further infield.
That’s not Eriksen’s strength and he struggled at times but he was sticking to instructions it seemed.
I did notice the time when Poch was talking to him on the touch line. I didn’t think he was disagreeing at all. My thought at the time was it was a good sign that Poch chose Eriksen to relay his message.
I can sort of understand with hindsight why he started but he should have been taken off early second half.
I don’t think we will see him starting many more times but yesterday he at least showed he was willing to try the job allocated to him, albeit not very successfully.
He’s still in my bad books though.

I don't think he was sticking to that position though, in the first half (didn't see the 2nd) their full backs had so much space to run into it was a joke. The commentators kept pointing it out as something to address. They could pretty much run mid way into our half anytime they wanted without even coming across any of our players.

By the way, yeah yeah “since we lost Walker” and “stats back it up” Raz, but do the “stats” also mention home games as Wembley, the promise of only one season there turning to nearly two, the crowd literally staying away for the final dozen or so “home” games, the failure of the club to do what the bloke asked for even partially with the staff, etc? No “stats” for that fella. Still, this “limited” manager got us to a CL Final repeated top 4 placings.

I get that you want him gone, and if it was just that I’d certainly agree to disagree, but your continually distorted framing of him presented as some sort of “facts” is a step beyond for me.

In closing this comment, I want to both be clear about (and potentially apologise for) any perceived personal slight. Not at all intended. I am sure we would get on famously if we were to meet, so please know that when I engage in these discussions, it is on the basis of debate only.

The internet makes personalising these things hard, so again, offered in the spirit of (admittedly fierce!) debate but not intended as personal towards you at all mate.

Mate, not taking it personal, no issues there, but clarity/opinion again

- I have no issue with Poch the man, or the things he did for us at a critical time in the club's progress.

That said, I think it's putting history into clarity, not re-writing

- Poch's peak was the last season at WHL, unbeaten at home, genuinely (for a little while) threatening the order of things and looking like we could make the next step
- Since then (and yes, with all mitigations/circumstances accepted) it has been a gradual downhill on every stat imaginable for what is now the 3rd season.
- All of us, gave it slack because of circumstances and because we believed Poch had an answer forthcoming

Looking back, it's clear to me at least, he doesn't have an answer

- His developing players myth .. who is better under Poch? Hugo, Jan, Toby were already at that level, Lamela, Lucas, Eriksen have not improved, Rose was his poster child but has regressed, Walker I'd say yes, Dele good first season and has regressed, Kane? Sanchez, Foyth, Winks? any of these guys have really come on?
- His tactics seem to never adapt to players, we keep trying to recreate that Rose/Walker model with a DM that can fall back to cover without having the personnel
- Golas scored, conceded, home/away wins, points, positions, it has all gotten worse from that peak to where we are setting negative records.
- We have had the almost moments, in the league, in domestic cup SF/Finals, in the CL, in everyone he has failed. Somehow we couldn't figure out how to win ugly, scrape won, tactically outthink the opponent, just stay in it long enough to give ourselves a chance, not once?
- And to one of your points, what is Poch doing different? it seems he has degenerated to a end stage Redknapp/Jose with "give me players" as the only idea

Just to push the point again (not just for you)

- I don't want Poch gone, I want what's best for Spurs regardless of what that means for Poch

History suggests, results suggest the best thing would be to make the change as quickly as we can. The odds of "he might turn it around" just doesn't make sense from a risk/reward/probability perspective.

But he has asked for it and not received the support. Instead, he was told earlier in the year that like it or not, he would have Amazon cameras up his arse. Nice.
If we all got everything we asked for, minimum wage monkeys could do our jobs. Managing within constraints is just what people do.

His developing players myth .. who is better under Poch? Hugo, Jan, Toby were already at that level, Lamela, Lucas, Eriksen have not improved, Rose was his poster child but has regressed, Walker I'd say yes, Dele good first season and has regressed, Kane? Sanchez, Foyth, Winks? any of these guys have really come on?

Your dislike of Poch is causing you to belittle every aspect of his management. I think you are very wrong on this point.

Eriksen- we paid £11 million for an exciting prospect, by no means the finished article. Up til last season he was one of the hottest midfielders around with the assists/goals record you felt could be assigned to peak Lamela. Poch brought him on.

Kane, most people, including AVB, had written this guy off now he is a world class centre forward.

Dele, again an exciting, young prospect bought from MK Dons, Poch established him as a PL player and England regular.
Winks, he brought him into the team and made him an England international.

Dembele, Rose and Lamela have all improved under him and that is before you consider the Southampton players, Lallana, Rodriguez Nathaniel Clyne and Schneiderlin. Hell he even made Dejan Lovren look good for a while.

If you have less financial resources than all your rivals, if you are not buying established world class stars, if you are competing with and bettering those rivals, it must follow that you are getting the most out of your players.

Last edited:
As are Liverpool and man for man we are closer to the group below than the two above.

We were 2nd best team on paper in the last year at WHL but since then we have regressed (on paper) whilst those around us have strengthened
Disagree.

Ndombele alone is better than all the midfielders Victimpool can put out put together.

Back