• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

My take on one reason he may have chosen to go public is because someone - i.e. Madrid - has said ‘we want you, but not at the prices Spurs want, so can you put some pressure on them?’

That’s not based on anything, just as some have said, Eriksen strikes me as one of the more intelligent footballers. I’m not convinced the interview was said without good reason. It’s possible it was to drum up / flush out interest though, as some have said though.

We shall see!

My take on one reason he may have chosen to go public is because someone - i.e. Madrid - has said ‘we want you, but not at the prices Spurs want, so can you put some pressure on them?’

That’s not based on anything, just as some have said, Eriksen strikes me as one of the more intelligent footballers. I’m not convinced the interview was said without good reason. It’s possible it was to drum up / flush out interest though, as some have said though.

We shall see!

What does his public statement achieve, that sitting with Levy and explaining he wants out - and will sit out his deal if he doesnt get a move, doesnt?

Because it would certainly add the requisite pressure to Levy/the clubs end of things.

To my mind, the thing it achieves - is publicity. And why would you need publicity if you already had a buyer and a means to push the move?

If he gets a move to Madrid, I’m sure he’ll think it’s worked out well.

Otherwise, I’d be a bit baffled how he’s played it and would tend to agree with you.

By all accounts there hasn’t been a peep from Madrid and nothing in the papers - they’ll usually attach their name to someone to ramp up the pressure a bit on their side but....nothing. Unless they are absolutely desperate to give Levy a taste of his own medicine I’m pretty sure they would have moved on him already if they were that keen. It’s a knock down price for a player who thinks he’s good enough to be a galactico...where’s the loss? Unless he isn’t that good in their eyes?

By all accounts there hasn’t been a peep from Madrid and nothing in the papers - they’ll usually attach their name to someone to ramp up the pressure a bit on their side but....nothing. Unless they are absolutely desperate to give Levy a taste of his own medicine I’m pretty sure they would have moved on him already if they were that keen. It’s a knock down price for a player who thinks he’s good enough to be a galactico...where’s the loss? Unless he isn’t that good in their eyes?

You may be right or it might be as someone posted above - they are waiting for the last minute to give Levy a take it or leave it offer. There are 3-4 plausible explanations here and we’re all just guessing. However, I think it highly unlikely that someone as bright as Eriksen would have played it like this and now be refusing a salary hike all in the hope that Madrid or Barca come in for him based on nothing more than his desire to play there. That would make him incredibly stupid and that’s something he’s never struck me as.

It was reported Zidane wanted Pogba, Perez wanted Eriksen. And also that they had spent too much already and needed to sell before buying.

Theres plenty of complication at their end, before they even get dealing with Spurs.

And while I think hes a player that offers good value now, next summer he is an absolute no brainer. Real arent desperate for him, why spend £50m+?

I doubt these things are “last minute” if there’s anything there, they’ve been in discussions for some time. Multi million pound (euro) deals take time

You may be right or it might be as someone posted above - they are waiting for the last minute to give Levy a take it or leave it offer. There are 3-4 plausible explanations here and we’re all just guessing. However, I think it highly unlikely that someone as bright as Eriksen would have played it like this and now be refusing a salary hike all in the hope that Madrid or Barca come in for him based on nothing more than his desire to play there. That would make him incredibly stupid and that’s something he’s never struck me as.

I honestly think Eriksen thought he was doing the ‘right thing’ by releasing a statement saying that a move would be nice, but Spurs aren’t the worst option in the world. And I imagine that is what has lead to the bemusement at Spurs, because you usually do that if you actually have interest.

I feel like his agent has screwed up, miscalculated, and tried to use the playbook the big names use to get their client’s moves but didn’t really know what he is doing. And I think Eriksen thought he was doing the right thing by not going balls out with a ‘get me out of here’ plea, but it just made it worse.

If it’s true that he has his heart set on one club, maybe two, he’s done well to make it difficult for his current club to plan without him, without interest.

And I’m still not convinced he gets his dream move on dream money next summer. It may well happen, but a poor season with us where he is being managed out of the team means his dream clubs may well move on to shinier objects next summer. Real really wanted Hazard, had been linked with him for years, and made it happen. If these clubs view Eriksen as a punt without an obvious first 11 slot, there’s an argument to say they’d rarher give a squad place to a player they are developing.

Again, not saying it won’t work out well for him, but I think he’s played a dangerous and poor game and handled the whole thing badly.

Its win win for Eriksen.He just sits tight for a year and gets his big payday.Even if he gets a 20mill signing on fee who ever signs him is still up.We were slow in offering big pay rises and in the end Eriksen who maybe 2 years ago would have signed an extension sees no value in signing now when in a year he hits the jackpot.We either play him fully or discard him fully not this mess we have now.This only want to go to one club etc has made it easier for him to stay for another year.It also means we will probably have no money for next summer.

I agree, rip the band aid off

Agreed too. This half way house muddling through is no good for anyone, particularly a Manager like Poch. We’d only get a few weeks of respite before January and then that speculation starts up again while he talks with other clubs.

I think you will find he is going nowhere while we have control over the situation.

If that’s the case, I think we might be making a mistake.

Poch is clearly struggling with the situation, it almost certainly isn’t the sum total of our current issues but it’s not an insignificant factor, save MP’s brain cycles for more productive outcomes.

We haven't had control of the situation for a long time

(Sigh)...I meant as it sits right now. Today. And I am simply saying that I don't believe we would sell if we got a last minute bid. That's all. I am simply saying that in my opinion, as it stands right now, I believe Sept 3rd has arrived early.

he won't be sold in jan as he can make a pre -contract agreement with anyone in Europe so why would they pay if he can get him for free 6 months later.As for Dybala it was never and never will happen price was around £65mill plus maybe 30mill for image rights we arent spending £95mill on him or anyone.

If that’s the case, I think we might be making a mistake.

Poch is clearly struggling with the situation, it almost certainly isn’t the sum total of our current issues but it’s not an insignificant factor, save MP’s brain cycles for more productive outcomes.

Nope.
He knows.
I suspect that maybe the reason we have not seen much of him consistently is because he does not want teams in the fence about making a bid to see this influential player hitting stride right now.
I suspect that if you asked him, he would happily take a season more with him regardless, as we will need top 4 to make sure that we can put the plans in place to buy his replacement/another creative midfielder - Lo Celso is an option IMO not a replacement.
What does his public statement achieve, that sitting with Levy and explaining he wants out - and will sit out his deal if he doesnt get a move, doesnt?

Because it would certainly add the requisite pressure to Levy/the clubs end of things.

To my mind, the thing it achieves - is publicity. And why would you need publicity if you already had a buyer and a means to push the move?

Bale was staying another season and they ("reportedly"!!!) told Bale to push for it otherwise there was no guarantee they'd be back in a year.

Back