• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Heard on the radio this morning that Poch was talking down speculation of Eriksen going to Barca. The radio station is fairly reputable so I thought I’d best Google News Eriksen to see what’s happened.

So there’s a Daily Star report linking Eriksen to Barca and I click into that to see if there’s any substance. Apparently we’re willing to let him go for £54 million (Has Levy had a bang on the head???).

The next story which was linked was “Messi wants Alli at Barca and Spurs are open to offers”. fudge me I thought, surely a paper couldn’t have two completely flimflam stories on the same day and must have some substance for saying Spurs are open to offers. Lo and behold, there’s not even the obligatory “a source close to the club” flimflam or even the slightest rationale for Spurs being open to offers.

The next story is “Kane tells Spurs he wants to go to Madrid”. Surely not three in a row?? This one was just as spurious. A few quotes from Kane about how happy he is at Spurs but he wouldn’t dismiss the idea of going abroad at some stage.

So the same paper thinks we are going to lose Eriksen, Alli and Kane imminently. And they say the reason Alli is going to Barca is because we won’t deal with Real despite saying in the next breath that Kane is going to Real.

It really is about time that paper had a good long, hard think about refusing ink.

Heard on the radio this morning that Poch was talking down speculation of Eriksen going to Barca. The radio station is fairly reputable so I thought I’d best Google News Eriksen to see what’s happened.

So there’s a Daily Star report linking Eriksen to Barca and I click into that to see if there’s any substance. Apparently we’re willing to let him go for £54 million (Has Levy had a bang on the head???).

The next story which was linked was “Messi wants Alli at Barca and Spurs are open to offers”. fudge me I thought, surely a paper couldn’t have two completely flimflam stories on the same day and must have some substance for saying Spurs are open to offers. Lo and behold, there’s not even the obligatory “a source close to the club” flimflam or even the slightest rationale for Spurs being open to offers.

The next story is “Kane tells Spurs he wants to go to Madrid”. Surely not three in a row?? This one was just as spurious. A few quotes from Kane about how happy he is at Spurs but he wouldn’t dismiss the idea of going abroad at some stage.

So the same paper thinks we are going to lose Eriksen, Alli and Kane imminently. And they say the reason Alli is going to Barca is because we won’t deal with Real despite saying in the next breath that Kane is going to Real.

It really is about time that paper had a good long, hard think about refusing ink.
Sounds like you gobbled up their clickbait in one fell swoop!

No chance when they succeed in generating traffic with such inventions.:rolleyes:

To be fair, they're getting *really* clever with how they word their clickbait. Just a glance at Newsnow confirms that - it's chock-full of headlines like 'Spurs secure American talent' or 'Done! Spurs win the race to secure signature of tricky wonderkid winger'.

Clicking into them will reveal that it's a) some American goalie in the academy, and b) Anthony Georgiou signing a contract until 2020.

Time was when such news was prosaic and freely given - now it's all part of the game of trying to get you to click on their pages. :p

See, I get that he was probably emotionally drained from taking his country to the World Cup entirely by himself. I get that.

But if he were playing under Ferguson, would Fergie have allowed that to be an excuse for not giving his all in a derby, or for appearing tired, jaded or second to everything?

Poch takes a lot of inspiration from Fergie - they have lunch together, talk frequently and apparently are pretty engaged with each other on a professional basis. And Poch wants 100% commitment from his players, all the time - almost to excess.

Thus, in a situation like this, the next time a player's international commitments get in the way of his club commitments, maybe some hard decisions need to be made. Either unceremoniously drop that player if you feel he isn't up to it, or tell him 'give the same energy against Arsenal that you did against goddamn Ireland'.

Eriksen is our jewel - a creative playmaker with a monstrous work rate and an eye for a pass that almost none of our other players have (save for maybe Lamela). But he is *our* player, too - he is Denmark's, but he is ours as well. And if we want to be a 'big' club, we have to start regarding ourselves as big enough to demand complete commitment from our players, whether or not they go away and perform great exploits on international duty.

See, I get that he was probably emotionally drained from taking his country to the World Cup entirely by himself. I get that.

But if he were playing under Ferguson, would Fergie have allowed that to be an excuse for not giving his all in a derby, or for appearing tired, jaded or second to everything?

Poch takes a lot of inspiration from Fergie - they have lunch together, talk frequently and apparently are pretty engaged with each other on a professional basis. And Poch wants 400% commitment from his players, all the time - almost to excess.

Thus, in a situation like this, the next time a player's international commitments get in the way of his club commitments, maybe some hard decisions need to be made. Either unceremoniously drop that player if you feel he isn't up to it, or tell him 'give the same energy against Arsenal that you did against goddamn Ireland'.

Eriksen is our jewel - a creative playmaker with a monstrous work rate and an eye for a pass that almost none of our other players have (save for maybe Lamela). But he is *our* player, too - he is Denmark's, but he is ours as well. And if we want to be a 'big' club, we have to start regarding ourselves as big enough to demand complete commitment from our players, whether or not they go away and perform great exploits on international duty.
I strongly believe that L'Arse are a better team than the Republic of Ireland and also think that Eriksen has his better games for us when the players around him play better. Most of the team against The Goons were sub-par and Erikesen is not, and at this point is not the type of midfielder who can play to his full potential without the supporting cast playing their roles. There are other players who would kick on from that performance and tear into the next team they play, that is not Eriksen now, unfortunately.

He had ( for him) a poor game and to suggest it has something to do with his game mid-week is guesswork. ALL players have poor games ( thankfully for us he does not have many).

He had ( for him) a poor game and to suggest it has something to do with his game mid-week is guesswork. ALL players have poor games ( thankfully for us he does not have many).

But he couldn’t pull every up to a level if there all playing poorly and getting over run

I strongly believe that L'Arse are a better team than the Republic of Ireland and also think that Eriksen has his better games for us when the players around him play better. Most of the team against The Goons were sub-par and Erikesen is not, and at this point is not the type of midfielder who can play to his full potential without the supporting cast playing their roles. There are other players who would kick on from that performance and tear into the next team they play, that is not Eriksen now, unfortunately.

I wish it was, though. He was a national hero after his hat-trick against Ireland. If he'd carried that form into this game, we would have had a much easier time of it. :(

Poch takes a lot of inspiration from Fergie - they have lunch together, talk frequently and apparently are pretty engaged with each other on a professional basis. And Poch wants 400% commitment from his players, all the time - almost to excess.

I don't think that Fergie would've picked him for the game. The two games for Denmark would've left Eriksen quite drained I would imagine, especially considering how much was riding on them. It is no surprise that he was below his best on Saturday IMO.

I don't think that Fergie would've picked him for the game. The two games for Denmark would've left Eriksen quite drained I would imagine, especially considering how much was riding on them. It is no surprise that he was below his best on Saturday IMO.

Fergie would've had someone of similar level ready to come in to replace him.
We don't - imagine the inquest if we'd lost 2-0 with Eriksen starting on the bench. No-win situation for Poch. Drained or not, I thought Eriksen was very poor on the ball and his work-rate way below par.

Back