• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Chel$ki Rumour

Ancelotti won them the first double in their entire existence for over a decade and was sacked less than 12 months later!
One of the most ridiculous decisions I've seen in football - Abramovich is a fudging control freak. It's not like Ancelotti did disastrously last season, he finished second in the league and lost out to a superior Man United team in the quarter finals of the Champions League. The sensible thing to do would be to show support for his manager, give him the funds necessary to get rid of the old guard and turn the club into contenders again. If Roman wanted someone to revamp Chelsea - then why did he appoint someone who controlled a notoriously 'aged' AC Milan team for close to a decade?

As we all know managers don't get enough time to stamp their authorities on clubs nowadays. AVB should be in charge next season if Abramovich wants Chelsea to move forward. The squad still needs a lot of improvement, which can only be achieved through time, support for the manager and a number of transfer windows to get the right personnel in.

No manager can have a club operating in their fashion within one season, it takes at least a few seasons for everything to fall into place. Arguably Spurs were fully stable and operating in the way Harry sees us to over the course of the last summer transfer window. There was still some players there that needed to be shifted, as the club's stature was evolving beyond a level at which the likes of Crouch and Palacios would have a prominent role within the first team.

i see you favour the latest hot things from abroad

Very risky imv.

Who do you favour then? Assuming that people that seem like the lowest risk options and most people's preferred choices like Mourinho aren't available.

There will always be a risk whoever is brought in.

One of the most ridiculous decisions I've seen in football - Abramovich is a fudging control freak. It's not like Ancelotti did disastrously last season, he finished second in the league and lost out to a superior Man United team in the quarter finals of the Champions League. The sensible thing to do would be to show support for his manager, give him the funds necessary to get rid of the old guard and turn the club into contenders again. If Roman wanted someone to revamp Chelsea - then why did he appoint someone who controlled a notoriously 'aged' AC Milan team for close to a decade?

As we all know managers don't get enough time to stamp their authorities on clubs nowadays. AVB should be in charge next season if Abramovich wants Chelsea to move forward. The squad still needs a lot of improvement, which can only be achieved through time, support for the manager and a number of transfer windows to get the right personnel in.

No manager can have a club operating in their fashion within one season, it takes at least a few seasons for everything to fall into place. Arguably Spurs were fully stable and operating in the way Harry sees us to over the course of the last summer transfer window. There was still some players there that needed to be shifted, as the club's stature was evolving beyond a level at which the likes of Crouch and Palacios would have a prominent role within the first team.

I agree fully. Although the decision to let go/inability to work with Mourinho was probably an even worse decision. Oh, and The FA going for McLaren instead of Hiddink. And The Irish FA hiring Steve Staunton.

It seems very difficult to hire the right manager, and when clubs do make a choice they should give them time to settle in and do their thing, if not it seems almost impossible to progress unless silly money is available. One of the reasons it's so important to hang on to a successful manager once you find one...

One of the most ridiculous decisions I've seen in football

I agree.

It's notable I think that of the high profile Italian managers in this part of the world recently - Capello, Mancini, Trappatoni, Ancelloti - he was the one with the best English, and by some distance. That speaks very well of him. Ancelloti's a smart cookie who Chelsea should have been delighted to have. Idiots.

I was sorry he jumped to PSG so early...I think he'd have walked into the Spurs job in the Summer if he wanted it. That said, surely he knew the Spurs job would be available in the Summer, so maybe he didn't want it or was simply offered too much by PSG to turn them down.

I agree.

It's notable I think that of the high profile Italian managers in this part of the world recently - Capello, Mancini, Trappatoni, Ancelloti - he was the one with the best English, and by some distance. That speaks very well of him. Ancelloti's a smart cookie who Chelsea should have been delighted to have. Idiots.

I was sorry he jumped to PSG so early...I think he'd have walked into the Spurs job in the Summer if he wanted it. That said, surely he knew the Spurs job would be available in the Summer, so maybe he didn't want it or was simply offered too much by PSG to turn them down.

Money talks definitely. Shame he has joined the money-fluffy bunnies cuddling boat as he would've been great if Redknapp leaves. I used to follow his Parma team back in the days of Buffon, Cannavaro, Sensini, Ze Maria, Chiesa, Crespo, Thuram, Bennarrivo and Appoloni!

Money talks definitely. Shame he has joined the money-fluffy bunnies cuddling boat as he would've been great if Redknapp leaves. I used to follow his Parma team back in the days of Buffon, Cannavaro, Sensini, Ze Maria, Chiesa, Crespo, Thuram, Bennarrivo and Appoloni!

That's some line-up!

How would that work, for example, with Spurs current players? is the second bank of 3 spread the width of the pitch? Wasn't there something called the penguin formation back in the 60's that set up very narrow (so called the penguin as it had no wings!).
ok mate I'm gonna try and explain this as best I can without actually lining up the formation being that I'm on my phone. Bieslas when Argentina and Chile manager

Ffs i posted by accident. Biesla plays 3 cb's , 2 wing backs and a dm, an attacking mid, attacking left mid/winger , attacking right mid/winger and striker. 3 CBS obviously lined up symmetrically , dm and wing backs lined up symmetrically , no cm so that space on the pitch is free, attacking mid centre in natural attacking mid position behind striker, the 2 attacking wingers a bit further up but just below the striker. So for us it would be Friedel, Kaboul, Dawson, King, Parker , Walker, Ekotto, Vdv (playing attacking mid), Bale, Lennon,Ade. When it came to the 2 attacking wingers , one was told to bomb forward and back but the other one is instructed to literally stay up and hardly ever track back... Literally just help the front man (that was Sanchez for chile)

He's changed it up a tiny bit for Athletico but that's only because they have such a special talent like Muniain.

Just out of curiosity, is Bielsa really that locked to that one formation? I was under the impression that he was a manager willing to mix it up and although the formation you describe seems like his favourite he seemed to go for whatever fit his team and that he was quite good at just that. Getting a lot out of the players at his disposal, not needing specific players to make it work.

I'm not Bielsa expert though so it could easily be that I'm wrong...

Ivanovic admits massive unrest in the squad. Chelsea's season could be about to implode.

I actually think Arsenal will be the biggest threat to us finishing third, TBH. Unless Van Persie gets injured.

With dressing room unrest, Terry injured, CL exit looking likely and the notoriously impatient russian lurking in the background, I can see their season crumble. And a $50 million bid for Modric in the summer - not that there's any reason for him to join them now, except for the money.

Just out of curiosity, is Bielsa really that locked to that one formation? I was under the impression that he was a manager willing to mix it up and although the formation you describe seems like his favourite he seemed to go for whatever fit his team and that he was quite good at just that. Getting a lot out of the players at his disposal, not needing specific players to make it work.

I'm not Bielsa expert though so it could easily be that I'm wrong...
At Bilbao he's changed his formation tbh. They had a bad patch and he switched it up which has worked. At chile though he stuck with that formation and pretty much the same at Argentina. They were utter garbage in the 2002 world cup under him.

Jose Mourinho return is possible – but he has to say sorry to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich

There are 18 million reasons why it might be hard for Jose Mourinho to return to Chelsea this summer if – and it is still an if – Roman Abramovich decides he wants to part company with Andre Villas-Boas and go back for the self-styled “Special One”.

“It’s possible,” said one source, who knows about these kind of things, in a text message when contacted on Thursday which, in itself, is a significant shift of what was thought about Mourinho’s prospects not so long ago. Then it was believed hell would freeze over first.

There has undoubtedly been some rapprochement between club and former manager, starting last summer following the sacking of Carlo Ancelotti, when Mourinho’s name was mentioned but they decided to go for Villas-Boas who, it was hoped, would be like his fellow Portuguese but without the abrasive edge.

Certainly relations are not as ice cold as they were when Mourinho challenged Abramovich to sack him in September 2007 — and the Russian billionaire did.

Mourinho has made no secret that he wants to return to the Premier League when he leaves Real Madrid, and that could well happen this summer, but as much as he might consider Tottenham Hotspur should Harry Redknapp go — had they a new stadium on stream, it would help — and as much as he still has a romantic notion about Liverpool and an interesting bond with Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, Chelsea are in his system.

And how it would appeal to Mourinho’s sense of mischief — and maybe revenge — to succeed Villas-Boas, his former prot?®g?®, the mini-Mourinho who had the temerity to ask for more responsibility then branched out to be a manager in his own right. The two no longer speak.

But then there are is the ?ú18million in compensation that Mourinho wrung out of Abramovich, including ?ú10million to exclude him from working in England for a period. That was to put off Spurs, and it worked, but it was a high price to pay for Abramovich, even if he has since wasted many more millions compensating managers he has sacked.

So here’s the rub. Maybe if there is a vacancy and Mourinho does want to return he might have to do something that he would find difficult: apologise to Abramovich for leaving five years ago with that lorry-load of cash. The owner indulges in generous payouts. But he does not readily forgive. Could Jose say sorry?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9102140/Jose-Mourinho-return-is-possible-but-he-has-to-say-sorry-to-Chelsea-owner-Roman-Abramovich.html

Roman Abramovich forces Andr?® Villas-Boas to explain Chelsea selection

• Manager admits owner asked questions after Napoli defeat
• Abramovich wanted to know team selection 'thought process'

Andr?® Villas-Boas has admitted he had to offer an explanation for his controversial team selection to the Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, following the comprehensive first-leg Champions League defeat by Napoli on Tuesday.

The chaotic loss in Italy served to intensify the pressure on the Portuguese, with the oligarch's faith in Villas-Boas's "project" having been steadily eroded by a run of four wins in 14 games. Rafael Ben?¡tez has been sounded out by intermediaries claiming to represent Chelsea, with discussions having centred on whether the Spaniard would be willing to take up the reins at Stamford Bridge until the end of the season, though the former Liverpool manager is understood to be seeking a longer-term arrangement.

Ben?¡tez's immediate availability – together with that of Fabio Capello – is unsettling, particularly now that it has emerged that the Chelsea hierarchy sought to find out why the likes of Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Michael Essien and Fernando Torres began the game at Stadio San Paolo on the bench, much to the players' frustration.

The club's technical director, Michael Emenalo, delivered the owner's query to Villas-Boas. "He was disappointed with the result and asking questions about how we set up the team, which were duly explained," said the manager. "I spoke to the people close to the owner to transmit the message, people like Emenalo. That is the normal way we communicate. [Abramovich] just wanted to know the thought process. It was the selection I felt was right, so there are no regrets."

The manager said his employer had not indicated whether he approved of the selection. Abramovich offered an extravagant expression of faith in Villas-Boas by paying some ?ú13.5m to recruit him from Porto last summer and the manager has previously benefited from the owner's unswerving support, only for the recent slump, which has cast Chelsea outside the Premier League's top four on goals scored, to test that conviction. "The problem is results lead you into doubt," said Villas-Boas, adding that Abramovich's challenge is to hold his nerve. "Are you able to live with that climate of doubt and believe in the person or the project? Or do you think the person is not the right one?"

That hinted at a challenge to the owner in the wake of suggestions that contact has been made with Ben?¡tez on some level. The Spaniard's agent, Manuel Garc?¡a Quil??n, stressed that there had been "nothing official" from Chelsea but confirmed his client's priority is "to coach in the Premier League". Sources close to Ben?¡tez believe there is a willingness on Chelsea's part to recruit him.

Villas-Boas said of Ben?¡tez: "I have never met him but we share a common friend and we were supposed to have a dinner together a few months ago. We couldn't go ahead with it but it would be an honour to have dinner with him some day as he is one of the most successful managers in the world."

The Portuguese insisted that instigating the overhaul of the squad required at Chelsea demands a manager boasting his energy and vision, and dismissed as "ridiculous" the notion that, at 34 and with only 20 months of top-flight management behind him before arriving at Stamford Bridge, he lacked the experience to succeed in the task.

"Last year you had all the experience in the world [in Carlo Ancelotti]," he said. "And which direction did he go? Out. Experience can be great because you can remember what you did before, but also there is a time for freshness, dynamism and new ideas."

The process of reinvention will inevitably be painful and will have implications for some senior members of the playing staff such as Lampard, who has been reduced to a bit-part role at the club this season. The manager conceded that the England international was unhappy at his degraded status but said the midfielder may have to become used to life as a squad player "for the benefit of the team", even if Villas-Boas insisted he was hopeful the 33-year-old would remain at the club next season.

Lampard has entered the final 18 months of his contract and is understood to be resigned to leaving if Villas-Boas is retained, with a potential reunion with Ancelotti at Paris St-Germain having been mooted.

One veteran whom Villas-Boas would like to start regularly is John Terry, though the club captain will be out for four to six weeks after undergoing an exploratory arthroscopy on his knee on Wednesday. "We will badly miss him," added the manager. "It is a massive, massive loss. He is a leader and has been a great performer even through adversity."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/23/roman-abramovich-andre-villas-boas-chelsea

just out of curiosity, if AVB were sacked, how many on here would be for appointing him our next manager? He's trying to implement a fast, fluid pressing game at Chelsea, and his signings have been decent, all things considered. Courtois, De Bruyne, Lukaku...young and with potential. He'd be itching to prove himself after failing at Chelsea, and our squad is far more suited to the type of game he's trying to inculcate, I.e a high line, fast movement from back to front and one-touch football. Plus, like someone mentioned, our players aren't as egotistic as Chelsea's, not by a long shot, so perhaps it's an option?

I found this thread and thought it was quite interesting reading, people debating whether AVB would be sacked from Cheat$ki and whether Mourinho would ever go back to them... funny how some people are SOOOO sure of themselves, and wrong.

Back