• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2016/17 - Group E: CSKA Moscow, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco

That's extremely bad news. First of all it won't be the same, and secondly, we lose home advantage, which is vital in Europe.

That's extremely bad news. First of all it won't be the same, and secondly, we lose home advantage, which is vital in Europe.

According to the THST, this is the reasoning, and I think something similar was said by the club when they announced the works to the NE corner of the ground :
Building work around the ground meant that UEFA requirements for staging Champions League games could not be met. These requirements cover areas such as access and support for UEFA officials and the media, safety and parking. On top of that, the potential loss of 4,000 seats at White Hart Lane due to building work, together with the reduction in capacity imposed by further UEFA requirements, would mean that even accommodating our season ticket holders would have been difficult.

It also means fewer interruptions to the development by having to stop work for a Tuesday/Wednesday game, re-start, and then stop again for the weekend. And obviously it's not just stopping work, it's ensuring the ground is safely accessible. It wouldn't surprise me if this were also a big driver behind the decision. (I also wonder whether we agreed to the 3 Monday night games in a row last season under some agreement that we would have fewer such games next season, although that may be a bit far fetched).

I do agree that it is a shame that we won't be able to have these games at WHL. Hopefully with the bigger capacity at Wembley (and with affordable tickets) we can generate enough of an atmosphere to make it feel like home. And it's good practice playing there for the following season.

I think also playing at wembley a few times this season will familiarise ourselves with wembey as preperation for next season.

If nothing else it'll be interesting to see what kind of attendance figures we can achieve without the handicap of the Lanes capacity, what with our new 60k seater around the corner.

I'm disappointed. My favourite memories are being at the lane for our champions league nights, the atmosphere was dream like. Amazing. However for w positive spin, imagine the amount of people who will be able to get general sale tickets etc? That has to be a good thing.

I'm disappointed. My favourite memories are being at the lane for our champions league nights, the atmosphere was dream like. Amazing. However for w positive spin, imagine the amount of people who will be able to get general sale tickets etc? That has to be a good thing.
I certainly think so! Even I can actually be able to get a ticket now, without totally ruining my economy

Considering The Lane wouldn't meet CL criteria this is good news. And the lads will have to get used to playing on wide pitches more.

I've already seen one article today about how bad Arsenal did in Wembley in the Champion's League.

Their two CL wembley seasons were their first ever Champion's League seasons.
The two years before they went out of the UEFA Cup at the 1st round.
Their seeding was poor until they got to the final of the UEFA Cup after coming 3rd in their CL group the second season.

As far as I'm concerned they would have struggled regardless where they played.

I've already seen one article today about how bad Arsenal did in Wembley in the Champion's League.

Their two CL wembley seasons were their first ever Champion's League seasons.
The two years before they went out of the UEFA Cup at the 1st round.
Their seeding was poor until they got to the final of the UEFA Cup after coming 3rd in their CL group the second season.

As far as I'm concerned they would have struggled regardless where they played.

iirc they were drawn against some of Europe's deadliest forward partnerships as well

I think it will be a good thing, let's be honest we are not going to win the cup but the experience of playing at Wembley will help us for the following season ( assuming that is where we will play that season).

We have played at New Wembley 5 times and won just one game!

LC Final: 2-1 Chelsea (2008)
LC Final: 0-0 Man Utd, lost on pens (2009)
FA Cup S/F: 0-2 Portmouth (2010)
FA Cup S/F: 1-5 Chelsea (2010)
LC Final: 0-2 Chelsea (2015)​

That is depressing as f@ck, and yet people still call us a 'cup club'. Jesus.

Will probably help smooth the transition for when we play there in the league the following season - may have an adverse effect on next seasons CL campaign but if it helps with the full move then it'll be worth it

one would hope we'll making more money out of the fixtures than we would at home as well

I believe that was arsenals original reasoning

Reads like my record of watching Spurs at Wembley. Didnt have enough pts for the 2008 Final, but have been to the other 4 on the list, along with the Wembley Cup match v Celtic when we lost 2-0.
So all in all been to Wembley 5 times and seen us score one solitary Bale goal. Thinking it might be a good idea to stay away...then again I am there are other Spurs fans with a similar record I would guess.

As you say, for the last few years it has not been a happy hunting ground. Time that changed

The flip side is we have won ten or our seventeen trophies at Wembley, old and new.

1961 FA Cup
1962 FA Cup
1967 FA Cup
1971 League Cup
1973 League Cup
1981 FA Cup
1982 FA Cup
1991 FA Cup
1999 League Cup
2008 League Cup

Our all-time record at Wembley (excluding pre-season games):

FA Cup finals: P13 - W10, D2, L1