• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bring back the good old days

AVB has got it totally spot on away but is completely lost at home... He hasnt got a clue how to sort it out at home.

Hull looked more organized than us, and passed the ball better, and that says a lot...

I think there is some truth in this for sure...he will hopefully develop a more shackle-free approach to home games...I will say at least while he figures it out, we are still winning.

Don't forget how much better we'd be if we could just go back to good old English 4-4-2 with good old English wingers.

We should drop all that pansy European passing nonsense too, won't get anywhere with a team full of Carlos Kickaballs.

Yeah...I'd even say we should get some 'honest pros' who will 'give it a go' and 'run about a bit'...

Don't forget how much better we'd be if we could just go back to good old English 4-4-2 with good old English wingers.

We should drop all that pansy European passing nonsense too, won't get anywhere with a team full of Carlos Kickaballs.

I think the blame lies with our "Continental" Director of Football system. We can buy our own players, thank you very much. For example, that tall bloke at Stoke seems to go alright (for a big fella at least).

We're as bad as that lot down the road for thinking that everyone should roll over for them now. It is embarrassing.

This, Spurs fans have really got less likeable as the team has gotten better. The entitled, whining, never enjoy a moment view of the world is just ****ing tiresome.

Bring back the good old days where we'd lose 1-0 to Hull through an early free kick and then dominate all game but not score.

Or the days where it would be 0-0 until 88 mins and some journeyman would score his one goal of the season on the break.

Bring back the good old days where we'd lose 1-0 to Hull through an early free kick and then dominate all game but not score.

Or the days where it would be 0-0 until 88 mins and some journeyman would score his one goal of the season on the break.

Yes! This!

Yes! This!

Much better having something legitimate to moan about than winning another game with another clean sheet against another team intent on defending with all 11 players.

Some games are there to be won ugly, as more teams develop a fear of Spurs we will get more of these games. Same last season. Same the one before that. It's been a pickle for a while, breaking down this boring wall of away team. Hull don't concede many to 'good' teams. Or, anyone in fact. Maximum of 2 all season.

2-1 defeat to Everton, 2-0 to Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea - all away.

Much better having something legitimate to moan about than winning another game with another clean sheet against another team intent on defending with all 11 players.

Some games are there to be won ugly, as more teams develop a fear of Spurs we will get more of these games. Same last season. Same the one before that. It's been a pickle for a while, breaking down this boring wall of away team. Hull don't concede many to 'good' teams. Or, anyone in fact. Maximum of 2 all season.

2-1 defeat to Everton, 2-0 to Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea - all away.

Agree with all you say...look, I'd like to see more, and I believe that with some rejigging we can see more, but at least we're winning whilst working this stuff out.

AVB has got it totally spot on away but is completely lost at home... He hasnt got a clue how to sort it out at home.

Hull looked more organized than us, and passed the ball better, and that says a lot...

I can't agree with you on this.

Our passing and possession weren't bad, we just missed the final killer ball.

Last season it took us a while to get going. Admittedly Bale starting running riot around the 15 game mark and this season we won't have that level of impact from one player. I'm still hopeful that as AvB settles on his preferred starting XI we improve in terms of an attacking force. Our defending is general pretty good as reflected by the number of clean sheets.

Could be worse people!

Football is supposed to be entertaining and we are currently playing the worst football i have seen for a long time. I am not against AVB and i am still optimistic that we will come good but the football we play makes me sad.

This, Spurs fans have really got less likeable as the team has gotten better. The entitled, whining, never enjoy a moment view of the world is just ****ing tiresome.

No - you have got tiresome for being blinded and for interpreting posts in the way YOU want to interpret them.

How the **** is criticism considered whining? How the **** is criticism considered negative?

****ing hell. Are you one of those where in interviews suggest that you can handle criticism and use it to improve yourself? or do you state that its a negative? Because I very much doubt you consider it to be the latter but rather state the former.

Two things are happening. One is that we do now have a sense of entitlement - we believe that we are "entitled" to beat teams like Hull at home. The other is that much of our football is based on retaining possession by passing to players with their backs to the opponents goal, who just return the ball whence it came, rather than passing into space for players to run onto with pace.

So as fans we may need to support more (wasn't at the game so don't know if AVB is right), but if would make our job as fans a lot easier if AVB could get the wingers to use that pace a bit more.
Will be there on Wednesday and i'm sure the Lane will be rocking...

The results under AVB have been excellent to be fair and as long as he keeps producing those results, I'm happy. Would like to play better football but the result is the important thing.

However, I don't believe we will keep it going. For me, our defence looks better on paper than it actually has been this year and I honestly believe that the time will come when they are exposed and we'll see repeats of the 0-3 v West Ham. Against Arsenal, we were very, very lucky not to concede 3 or 4. I could be wrong but, watching the games so far this season, I can see it coming and we are so limp going forward that I can see our results deteriorating.

Like I say, I could be wrong. I hope I am and if we continue as we are for the rest of the season, I'll be happy enough. There isn't any sense of entitlement from me, I'm not whinging but I can see signs that we are in a false position.

But we did roll them over (kind of) because we beat them didn't we?

The points being made in here are that we seem to be struggling in the final 3rd. We have a quality striker who hardly gets a sniff at goal, our off the ball is pretty poor and we seem unable to fashion chances against teams who come to sit deep.

Are we really expecting too much to see a bit of guile, something special and some chances as well as some goals at home?

Football is supposed to be entertaining and we are currently playing the worst football i have seen for a long time. I am not against AVB and i am still optimistic that we will come good but the football we play makes me sad.
And herein lies the paradox. Arguably we are not the slickest machine at the moment but we are good enough to have our best ever start to a season in the premier league era, probably as far back as the 70s!
I want to finish as high as possible, and maintain progress, I'll take the slightly dull football for the time being, and trust AVB is as aware as we are that we don't quite click in the final third.

Hull was the first game of the season I have been to. There were two main things that I think we were lacking.

1. We missed Rose, Verts is just not going to be an attacking threat down the wing and offered almost nothing. As we were playing with walker and Verts as attackers, especially in the second half. We would have been better off brining on Lemela for him and going for it. This also begs the question why we got rid of BAE? He would have been great in a game like this as he has always been an effective attacking full back. This left us with Townsend on the other wing and he just got marked out the game as Verts lacked threat.

2. Movement. It was clear that holtby/ Erikson and Lennon/ Townsend lacked any desire to change it up and find space or pull defenders out of position. This is why we ended up passing back and fourth for large periods of the game.

Sort these out and I think we will be much more effective in attack...

Two things are happening. One is that we do now have a sense of entitlement - we believe that we are "entitled" to beat teams like Hull at home. The other is that much of our football is based on retaining possession by passing to players with their backs to the opponents goal, who just return the ball whence it came, rather than passing into space for players to run onto with pace.

So as fans we may need to support more (wasn't at the game so don't know if AVB is right), but if would make our job as fans a lot easier if AVB could get the wingers to use that pace a bit more.
Will be there on Wednesday and i'm sure the Lane will be rocking...

Good insights here. Although tbf we've always had a sense of entitlement at home to teams like Hull, it's just it's become even greater now.

There seems to be general dismay that we don't know how to break down teams that are well organised and determined to close us down in the middle of the park but almost by definition winning against these teams is going to be very difficult. Reality is, Premiership status is so intensively prized nowadays you don;t survive unless you are extremely well organised against the likes of us.

That said, it has to be conceded we are struggling up front. Soldado is an outstanding finisher but you cannot finish something that hasn't been started. I have faith that the likes of Eriksen, Holtby, Lamela and Chadli will eventually settle into their stride and start producing on a regular basis, meanwhile let's be grateful we are at least picking up the points.

Back