• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bring back the good old days

Fair enough, I'm a realist (don't like being called a pessimist). I can live with optimism, it's blind faith that does my head in. I honestly think if you asked some fans to predict the table at the start of the season, some of their league tables would look like this:

1. Spurs played 38 won 38 drawn 0 lost 0 conceded 0

Years of supporting Spurs has taught me not to get ahead of myself.

Some go into each season EXPECTING it to look like that.

This has been a problem for years though and we still haven't found the solution despite multiple managers and different players, hence some of the frustration.

Agree. I think that the AVB is trying to bed in a system for breaking down teams that do this but it is (or the players in it are) taking a little longer to settle than we would have hoped.

I think that people calling for a return to 4-4-2 must be suffering from amnesia.

I don't think that we are playing particularly attractive football at the moment but I think that a lot of the complaining is over the top. I think that it is the sense of entitlement which really gets my goat. Teams that put ten men behind the ball are difficult to break down, the teams that usually finish above us have at least one world class attacking player to help break them down, we had one last season, we don't this (yet).

Milo - the main purpose is to win - that I agree and id rather win playing badly than lose playing well. However the two arent that mutually exclusive, you can play well and win - that combination AVB, in my view, has had time perhaps not neccessarily to perfect, but to improve upon.

We do - he is Erikssen and today AVB deemed fit not to use him from the start. You can also argue the way people go on about him Holtby too but if we cannot consider him good enough to go through Hull then why even have him? Thats another discussion and I digress. As far as im concerned, tactics plays a huge role in all this. You can have 11 world class players but if you drill them into trying to play a certain way that is so mechanical you run the risk that they dont fuly utilise their creative talents and skill.

I think we have an excellent group of players but theyre not being played to their strengths and you can see it on the pitch, its extremely rigid and hesitant.

My main point was that I consider the performances to be dull and damnright boring - thats not a negative remark, its an obvious point that is for all to see. Calling me negative for saying what we all see is not accurate nor a fair statement.

Agree. I think that the AVB is trying to bed in a system for breaking down teams that do this but it is (or the players in it are) taking a little longer to settle than we would have hoped.

I think that people calling for a return to 4-4-2 must be suffering from amnesia.

Last season was the start of a transformation, this season is about finishing it. It's ridiculous to expect a settled team from day one. I think it's still too soon to be expecting much more than what we're seeing. Don't think we've had a free midweek yet with EL qualifiers, EL group stage and COC and every time we get into some kind of rhythm it all gets disrupted by an international break.

One of the more disappointing aspects of AvB's tenure is that I honestly couldn't tell you what type of team we are. I know that there has been a lot of upheaval and everything takes time, but I don't know what our attacking shape or philosophy is supposed to be. He's been here long enough now despite all the changes that we should have some sort of identity. Its not like all the new signings are starting every week, the only one who regularly plays from all the new guys is Paulinho.

I don't think that is a controversial statement, and doesn't mean I'd rather see a return to the dark days of the mid 90's. I don't expect us to rattle 5 past Hull, or for us to beat every team in the bottom half of the table. I would expect us with our playing staff to average a goal a game from open play: some matches we don't even have a shot on goal for a whole half. That can't be good enough. If a couple of penalty decisions had gone the other way we would be struggling like hell at the moment.

If we don't start creating at some point in the not to distant future things are going to get messy quickly. And no, I don't mean in terms of 1992-2003 but in terms of our hopes and expectations in 2013.

Last edited:
The thing is i am probably in the negative group camp because i do not like our style of play but i do not think it is the fans that are worried by our style of play are expecting other teams to roll over. For me i would prefer it if we went out with a bit more pace and attacked other teams. But i have watched spurs for 40 odd years and it never really bothered me when we lose, i have seen it so many times.

I think people are more worried about our style of play, frankly i will give avb and the team more time because we have so many new signings, but im not sure why people think it wrong to point out what we are doing wrong.

Never understood this blind faith thing and not commenting on things that are not going well. If that is what should be done then is no real need for a forum is there?

Bang on some people react as if this forum is read by the players and AVB.
When Redknapp did **** wrong I pointed out what I thought. And I'll do the same for AVB even though I've much more time for him on a personal level.

We are a work in progress, so many new players and staff still settling in and we are still only 3 points off of top, that will do me thanks.

Last season was the start of a transformation, this season is about finishing it. It's ridiculous to expect a settled team from day one. I think it's still too soon to be expecting much more than what we're seeing. Don't think we've had a free midweek yet with EL qualifiers, EL group stage and COC and every time we get into some kind of rhythm it all gets disrupted by an international break.

Why have we gone into both international break on the back of defeats. Doesnt sound like we had an rhythm going in to them to me.

It comes down to this : does what you are watching entertain you? is it exciting? do you get that buzz when the game starts? do you still have that buzz whether we win or lose?

My answer to all these questions is No. I'm not feeling it at the moment, there is something not quite right with our play. Yes great we won but we're not creating many chances, stretching defenses or getting behind teams. It's all too slow, too predictable and pretty uninspiring. We need to move the ball quickly, pace more quickly, pass more accurately and MOVE!! Movement off the ball is the key and we are not doing it.

In Soldado we have a quality striker. His movement off the ball is very good but he is isolated. He is also not getting enough of the ball in the final third because we cannot stretch teams playing the current system.

Notice that I am being critical but not blasting the team or the manager. This is what I have noticed in our first 9 games of this season. I pay 1000s of pounds a year to watch Spurs so why shouldn't I say what I think. If you don't like what I am saying you're welcome to say why but don't have a go because you disagree - I used to do that but that's because I was in denial a long long time ago!

AVB has got it totally spot on away but is completely lost at home... He hasnt got a clue how to sort it out at home.

Hull looked more organized than us, and passed the ball better, and that says a lot...

One of the more disappointing aspects of AvB's tenure is that I honestly couldn't tell you what type of team we are. I know that there has been a lot of upheaval and everything takes time, but I don't know what our attacking shape or philosophy is supposed to be. He's been here long enough now despite all the changes that we should have some sort of identity. Its not like all the new signings are starting every week, the only one who regularly plays from all the new guys is Paulinho.

I don't think that is a controversial statement, and doesn't mean I'd rather see a return to the dark days of the mid 90's. I don't expect us to rattle 5 past Hull, or for us to beat every team in the bottom half of the table. I would expect us with our playing staff to average a goal a game from open play: some matches we don't even have a shot on goal for a whole half. That can't be good enough. If a couple of penalty decisions had gone the other way we would be struggling like hell at the moment.

If we don't start creating at some point in the not to distant future things are going to get messy quickly. And no, I don't mean in terms of 1992-2003 but in terms of our hopes and expectations in 2013.

Well said

Well said!!!

Some great posts on this page; we don't look like things are about to click.

Ideally I would love to see Lamela and Eriksen on the pitch as they are truly outstanding talents, but even that shouldn't be necessary... it is possible to set up all the other players into a cohesive unit with a good style and proven method of creating opportunities... but it looks to me like we just fanny about back and forth waiting for a bit of luck or a ricochet.

I agree with most of the postings on here. Lets go back to the good old days when we could count on Dean Austin, Ruel Fox, Andy Sinton, Chris Perry, Anthony Gardner and the like. I support this team when we had S*** like that playing every week and what we have now as far better. We haven't played well YET but we are still in touch with the top teams.

I'm sure most of the moaning is from people who have never kick a ball and have no understanding how to play the game apart from Football Manager or FIFA xxxx .

Lets get behind the team instead of all the moaning .

Don't forget how much better we'd be if we could just go back to good old English 4-4-2 with good old English wingers.

We should drop all that pansy European passing nonsense too, won't get anywhere with a team full of Carlos Kickaballs.

I was pretty surprised by the negativity on the board today. Really, really harsh comments (mainly aimed at AVB), both in terms of content and tone.

I was pretty surprised by the negativity on the board today. Really, really harsh comments (mainly aimed at AVB), both in terms of content and tone.

I think it's pure frustration, because we are close to being a successful team. Our home performances must improve (consider the last two home games v West Ham and Hull) and we have been saying that since last season too. Result today was great, 3 points is the maximum, but we can't rely on 50-50 penalties too many times to get us out of jail. The concerns about our attacking play are not unfounded.

I agree with most of the postings on here. Lets go back to the good old days when we could count on Dean Austin, Ruel Fox, Andy Sinton, Chris Perry, Anthony Gardner and the like. I support this team when we had S*** like that playing every week and what we have now as far better. We haven't played well YET but we are still in touch with the top teams.

I'm sure most of the moaning is from people who have never kick a ball and have no understanding how to play the game apart from Football Manager or FIFA xxxx .

Lets get behind the team instead of all the moaning .

Careful! Outbreak of logic here...don't want that...LOL...I'm with you mate.

All us "negative" fans want the team to lose just so we can come on here and slate the team. We don't want the team's style of play or performances to improve. We're bad fans simply for pointing out areas in which AVB or the team can work on such as a lack of goals and slow tempo.

Warning: the last paragraph may have contained some sarcasm.

Back