• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Blade runner" shoots girlfriend

Something that I have not heard mentioned at all is that, whether or not he intended to kill Reeva, he clearly intended to kill whoever was in the toilet. He could have called the police, could have run away, could have said "come out with your hands up," etc. But he fired four shots through a door into a small space not knowing who was in there or why. Therefore, he had the mental state for premeditated homicide, regardless of who the victim was.

No doubt he will rely on self-defense then. But in many places, it is not valid self-defense unless you (a) believe you are in imminent threat of danger yourself and (b) only use an appropriate amount of force given the situation (e.g., if someone nicks your wallet and is running away, you may not shoot him with a rocket launcher). If someone was hiding in Pistorious' loo, he'd typically have to show that he couldn't run away, barricade the intruder in, etc. Even if it wasn't murder, it could still well be a lesser charge of something like reckless homicide.

But I don't know the law in South Africa. Arcy, do you know what the standards are for use of a lethal weapon in self-defense down there? Are you automatically entitled/justified to use lethal force against any intruder in your home? Same even if they are unarmed?

A couple of questions, maybe Arc could answer them:

1. How on Earth was this cop allowed to carry on doing his job with 7 murder charges against him? And why has it only just come out now?

2. What's the split in South Africa as to whether people think he is guilty or not?

As others have mentioned, could be another OJ. The racist cop Mark Fuhrman was a big factor in OJ's acquittal, as was the mishandling of key pieces of evidence. How can people get off on such technicalities when it's obvious they are guilty. Not saying this is the case with Pistorius. I really don't know what to believe. I'm leaning towards thinking he's guilty, maybe 60-40.

Well he is in the unusual position he can put is feet up at home without going home.

On Jurgen's point, there isn't going to be a friendly jury decision like OJ as they don't have jury trials in SA. The judge makes the decision and will be far less likely to let side issues influence him.

Now we hear that Pistorius's brother is about to stand trial for a homicide, on top of cop for attempted murder last week. Is there anyone in South Africa not on such a charge? Arc, is there something youd want to tell us?

Something that I have not heard mentioned at all is that, whether or not he intended to kill Reeva, he clearly intended to kill whoever was in the toilet. He could have called the police, could have run away, could have said "come out with your hands up," etc. But he fired four shots through a door into a small space not knowing who was in there or why. Therefore, he had the mental state for premeditated homicide, regardless of who the victim was.

No doubt he will rely on self-defense then. But in many places, it is not valid self-defense unless you (a) believe you are in imminent threat of danger yourself and (b) only use an appropriate amount of force given the situation (e.g., if someone nicks your wallet and is running away, you may not shoot him with a rocket launcher). If someone was hiding in Pistorious' loo, he'd typically have to show that he couldn't run away, barricade the intruder in, etc. Even if it wasn't murder, it could still well be a lesser charge of something like reckless homicide.

But I don't know the law in South Africa. Arcy, do you know what the standards are for use of a lethal weapon in self-defense down there? Are you automatically entitled/justified to use lethal force against any intruder in your home? Same even if they are unarmed?

:-k:-"

I was watching some of the trial earlier, it's my favourite buttplug, he's guilty as hell. His lawyers are reduced to trying to badger every witness, tried to convince one - a neighbour - that it was not Reeva she heard screaming but Oscar because he sounds a bit girly when he screams.

I was watching some of the trial earlier, it's my favourite buttplug, he's guilty as hell. His lawyers are reduced to trying to badger every witness, tried to convince one - a neighbour - that it was not Reeva she heard screaming but Oscar because he sounds a bit girly when he screams.

These defence lawyers on the whole are nothing more than lying ****s

He's brilliant at his job though - well worth the £3,500 a day he's getting paid - I'm certain he'd get him off if it was a jury system, he manages to throw a single seed of doubt in every tesimony. I don't think the judge will buy it though.

It just doesn't add up. Who wakes up in the middle of the night, thinks there's an intruder, and unloads a gun into a locked bathroom?

Clearly an excuse. Was it he was trying to frighten her, while she sat on the loo - that he was just shooting through the door to freak her out - or was he trying to kill? I think he will go down. Clearly a bit of a gun nut.

Does anyone buy or know of anyone who buys, that he did not mean to kill her?

It will be interesting to hear why the prosecution think he did it and attempting to press him into a rage. But really there is no defence here.

I thought I read at the time that Reeva was not meant to be there or was at home, thats why he didnt know who it was, now he saying he shot to protect himself and Reeva.
So if you hear someone in the bathroom and your wife/girlfriend/partner is not there, do you fire a gun into a room without checking first?

I thought I read at the time that Reeva was not meant to be there or was at home, thats why he didnt know who it was, now he saying he shot to protect himself and Reeva.
So if you hear someone in the bathroom and your wife/girlfriend/partner is not there, do you fire a gun into a room without checking first?

it's such a weird one.

is it possible that he assumed Reeva was in the bed? i guess so.

is it possible he thought there could be an intruder? certainly, i would have thought.

he's apparently drawn a gun on a friend visiting unexpectedly one evening, and had also drawn a gun at the sound of washing machine, mistaking it for a unknown person. so he's relatively easily freaked. and he's got no legs, so he feels vulnerable.

i want to believe he didn't mean it, but it's just so odd. who knows until you're in that position.

i think they might just be able to sow enough doubt, but even then he's still on for culpable homicide / manslaughter.

I have totally forgotten this but what would the motive be for him killing his girlfriend?

As far as im concerned, obviously without knowing the full facts, I dont think he meant to kill. Then again S Africa is a fairly dangerous place no? So people are wary and always on the lookout. The reason I dont think he meant to kill is I think he seriously though (albeit foolishly) that his Girlfriend was somewhere else int he house hence his shooting aimlessly into a bathroom etc.

The thing is if you take 'beyond reasonable doubt' into contention then there is doubt therefore he will go free.

Back