• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Berbatov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Potter reference - he was our Viktor Krum. Lazy gait maybe, oozed class no doubt - he looked at his sexy best with us, full head of hair, now it's just balding, but his feet, what he does with the ball, gawd blimey

Fans hate it when a player they have admired whilst wearing the shirt decided to move on ( to what they consider to be greener pastures) hence from that moment onwards they will believe any brick that is thrown towards those players.

Somehow they feel they have been betrayed and will besmirch any reputation to feed their anger.

Fans hate it when a player they have admired whilst wearing the shirt decided to move on ( to what they consider to be greener pastures) hence from that moment onwards they will believe any brick that is thrown towards those players.

Somehow they feel they have been betrayed and will besmirch any reputation to feed their anger.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not naive enough to believe that players want to play for Spurs above the likes of Real, United or Barca, or that every player that plays for Spurs loves the club like we do. I don't hold it against players moving on to better their careers. All I ask in return is that they are professional while they are here and give everything until they move on, not asking too much really considering how phenomally well paid they are.

We all witnessed Jol asking Berbatov to warm up and him just sitting there. And we have quotes from Woodgate and Hans Segers in relation to Berbs: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...tions-are-sending-wrong-message-Football.html

No one slated Van Der Vaart when he left. No one slated Carrick when he left.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not naive enough to believe that players want to play for Spurs above the likes of Real, United or Barca, or that every player that plays for Spurs loves the club like we do. I don't hold it against players moving on to better their careers. All I ask in return is that they are professional while they are here and give everything until they move on, not asking too much really considering how phenomally well paid they are.

We all witnessed Jol asking Berbatov to warm up and him just sitting there. And we have quotes from Woodgate and Hans Segers in relation to Berbs: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...tions-are-sending-wrong-message-Football.html

As you said earlier in this topic ( Berby ) has been done to death, there are as many reports that say the opposite of those you mention but it is just covering old ground to start another debate about them.

Exactly. I have no ill feeling toward VdV or Carrick, but the way Berbatov and Danchev went about engineering his exit was highly unprofessional and a slap in the face to the fans that supported him.

[h=1]Dimitar Berbatov's arrival at Fulham fires sense of style and adventure[/h] There is a part of every fan that loves him and the excitement surrounding the Bulgarian at Craven Cottage is palpable

Dimitar-Berbatov-008.jpg
Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov celebrates after scoring from the penalty spot against Arsenal. Photograph Tom Hevezi/AP

Dimitar Berbatov has the talent and he knows it yet it is the effortlessness that lifts him to the higher plane of cool. It is not that he does not try, as his detractors froth; rather, that he does not seem to. The Fulham striker is the non-conformist's hero, the player who glides through the blood and thunder of the Premier League on his terms. To him, the cloggers and the 110-percenters are losers. He is all about connoisseur's quality.
There is a part of every football fan that loves Berbatov, even those at Tottenham, who felt betrayed when he left them in 2008 to become Manchester United's record signing. And right now, there is no Fulham fan that does not love him dearly. If his purchase for a knockdown £5m from United on transfer deadline day had them dreaming, then the reality so far has been better.
Fulham are unbeaten in six league matches with Berbatov in the starting XI and, with his help, they have established themselves as the division's second-top scorers, behind United. He has contributed five goals but, more so, he has fired a sense of style and adventure at Craven Cottage.
It was evident in the 3-3 draw at Arsenal on Saturday, when Fulham recovered from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 before being pegged back. Berbatov, impish and incisive, was in the kind of touch that makes highlight reels and, as happens when everything clicks for him, he instilled worry in his opponents.
Arsenal's players did not dare to dive in on him for fear of being made to look foolish while the goalkeeper Vito Mannone, seemingly, did not dare to dive on Berbatov's penalty. The kick was prefaced by a broken stroll; the strike marked by nonchalance. It was his second goal of the afternoon.
Berbatov's self-belief has long since crossed the line into arrogance yet, with his Fulham honeymoon in full swing, nobody is picking holes. He has applied himself in training, he has attempted to integrate – the striker Mladen Petric is a friend – and he has smiled at the mickey-taking that has come his way.
On one level, Berbatov is an easy target; the shades are a key part of his sharp off-the-field look, as is the St Tropez-style promenading. But on another, it might feel wise to tread carefully. It is often said that Fulham's is a dressing-room without stars but, really, that changed when Berbatov arrived. The 31-year-old could conceivably be the highest-profile signing of the club's history. He responds, though, to sarcasm and acerbic wit. Put him on a pedal stool and he will take advantage.
Berbatov regularly gives the impression that he is too cool to speak to anybody. He does not do press – the interview request has gathered dust since the Tottenham days (hope is retained) – while he is contemptuous of Twitter. The Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale recently set the record straight over a fake Berbatov account. "I'm sat on the bus next to him and it's not real," he tweeted. Stockdale was asked if Berbatov might be persuaded to sign up. "No, and he is not interested, either." Berbatov on Twitter? As. If.
Berbatov has been "quiet" since he joined Fulham, according to his team-mate Chris Baird. "He is a quiet man," Baird said, "but, listen, when he comes on to the pitch, he is so clever. His experience really helps us, particularly the younger players. He is top-class. You give him the ball and you know he will do something special."
One story from his time at Tottenham sums up the ability and the attitude. Jamie O'Hara, who is now at Wolves, remembers Berbatov being in possession, with his back to him, about 40 yards away. "I was yelling for the ball," O'Hara said. "Berba dropped his shoulder and, without looking, he played a pinpoint pass right to my feet. After training, he said to me: 'I know where you are. You don't have to shout.'"
From Spurs Lodge, to Carrington, to Motspur Park, Berbatov has routinely dazzled in training. One of the biggest frustrations at United was his failure to replicate such brilliance on a consistent basis in matches. He came to be considered, in some quarters, as a prima donna; difficult and aloof. The talent was never in question but he was criticised for not buying into the collective United ethos.
That he lasted for four years at the club surprised some but, also, reflected Sir Alex Ferguson's awareness of the precious ability and his yearning to do everything to bring it to the fore. It had felt as though Berbatov were an Eric Cantona in the making when he signed but the hope would prove unfounded.
Ferguson preferred Michael Owen to him in his match-day squad for the 2011 Champions League final against Barcelona – a savage blow to Berbatov – and the Bulgarian's final season at Old Trafford was spent on the fringes, with one of the abiding images that of him finishing the Carling Cup tie at Leeds United at centre-half, stepping past opponents like a latter-day Franz Beckenbauer. Berbatov can only do things his way; even Ferguson could not bend him to his will.
Berbatov's single-mindedness had been evident at Tottenham. The devil with the face of an angel, as he was known at Bayer Leverkusen (that was never going to catch on here), always saw Tottenham as a stepping stone to an elite club and the manner of his departure to United left a sour taste. He came to be considered as moody and complex. One employee says he only ever saw him eat in the canteen with a plastic knife and fork.
So what? Berbatov does not care what people think, even on the laziness issue that has dogged his career. The critics are the company men, the face-timers, the non-smokers. They do not get it. Buckets of sweat do not embellish a performance. Martin Jol, the Fulham manager, who had Berbatov at Tottenham, gets it. "What do you want?" he said. "A player without quality who works hard? Or a quality player who hopefully works hard?"
Jol harnessed the talents of Bryan Ruiz behind Berbatov at Arsenal, and the Costa Rican was also breathtaking. You had to hand it to the Fulham manager. Forget false No9s, this was a false strike partnership but it appealed greatly, not least to Berbatov and his maverick sensibilities. These remain early days yet the excitement is palpable.

The Fulham striker is the non-conformist's hero, the player who glides through the blood and thunder of the Premier League on his terms. To him, the cloggers and the 110-percenters are losers. He is all about connoisseur's quality....=D>

Martin Jol, the Fulham manager, who had Berbatov at Tottenham, gets it. "What do you want?" he said. "A player without quality who works hard? Or a quality player who hopefully works hard?".....=D>

i actually wish we signed him now but i think i'm thinking short term and because Dempsey is so so brick. Berbatov is still a awesome player that definately would have offered us something different. Berbatov behind Ade? fudge me we would have looked awesome but Berbatov in a avb pressing team? he would have been benched after 2 games max.

Our team was so based around him that we used to regularly turn to brick whenever he was having an off day.
I'd hate to see us so dependent on one brilliant but unreliable player again.
We have been a much better team since he left.

i actually wish we signed him now but i think i'm thinking short term and because Dempsey is so so brick. Berbatov is still a awesome player that definately would have offered us something different. Berbatov behind Ade? fudge me we would have looked awesome but Berbatov in a avb pressing team? he would have been benched after 2 games max.

agree with everything here re: Berba...

Our team was so based around him that we used to regularly turn to brick whenever he was having an off day.

and agree with this too...but i have to admit, i'd love love love to have seen him play for us again, however short-term. i'm glad it didn't happen BUT, as a fan, i would've loved it...even though he did, indeed, waltz off and treat us poorly.

The Fulham striker is the non-conformist's hero, the player who glides through the blood and thunder of the Premier League on his terms. To him, the cloggers and the 110-percenters are losers. He is all about connoisseur's quality....=D>

Martin Jol, the Fulham manager, who had Berbatov at Tottenham, gets it. "What do you want?" he said. "A player without quality who works hard? Or a quality player who hopefully works hard?".....=D>

How about both? Ala Messi, Tevez etc?

he didnt win the CL, United won it the season before he signed iirc

but yeah, i dont think he regrets the Utd move at all. He played quite a lot, scored goals, earned lots of money, won trophies.

But with us he would have played more, would have scored a lot of goals, would have been the hero of the team and perhaps we would have been challenging nearer the top. Plus, he would have gone down in our history as one of our best ever players and what's more, and this is the really important part, he would have been named one of our Legends and had a lounge named after him! :D

Exactly. I have no ill feeling toward VdV or Carrick, but the way Berbatov and Danchev went about engineering his exit was highly unprofessional and a slap in the face to the fans that supported him.

And therein lies the rub

Yes, those are definitely within Fulham's transfer budget :)

Clearly, but that's not the point. I don't subscribe to the notion that the most talented players don't need to try. Maybe in home games you can get away with it, but you can't be carrying players in away games, everybody needs to dig in. I think it was either Brian Clough or Peter Taylor who said they only used to go to watch players in away games when they went scouting as you learn more about players in away games. Anyone can look good in home games to a certain extent.

You don't 'carry them' at all - different quality players have different style of play. Each one suited to a specific formation but by no means inferior to the other.

it was so based around him because he was by far the most talented player we had. Now we have Bale who is on another level, Lennon who is far better than then, Adebayor who is a big step up from keane, Dembele who is looking like being a top player.....even if Berba had an off day, we still have enough to cope and in fact do very well.

I think he would have been a very smart addition this summer to what we currently have.

You don't 'carry them' at all - different quality players have different style of play. Each one suited to a specific formation but by no means inferior to the other.

I thought that you were in favour of having a manager who would introduce a system and thought that this was required to take the team to the next level. One of the implications of putting the system first is that you need to have players who will fit it. Berbatov is undoubtedly a great player but I cannot see where he can fit into an AVB team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back