• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Berbatov

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish he had never signed for Manchester United :(

I wonder how he feels about that move now. I can understand why he moved but he could have been a Premiership Legend of all time had he stayed with us and now his reputation is less so due to the time he spent on the bench at Old Trafford.

I guess in life you take chances, you try to see what you are capable of and that's what he did but, if only he had stayed with us! The goal near the start when he dummied the keeper, after dummying the defender, his close touch was sublime. I doubt we will see a striker of his calibre, at our club, for a long time to come.

I said the other day that we ought not to romanticise about former players but somehow, to me, he's different. I would rather have him back at his best than any other player in the past ten years, perhaps King would push him for that top spot but Berbatov would edge it due to the joy he brought from watching him play.

How interested do people think he would have been in working the back line in the way that AVB seems to expect of his strikers?

You mean the way he worked his back line off against Arsenal on Saturday?

Or the way Demspey, the grafter has been working off his back line every week which contributes so much to our team?

Workrate is completely relative to the specific player and is not an absolute in the slightest, imv

Last edited:
You mean the way he worked his back line off against Arsenal on Saturday?

Or the way Demspey, the grafter has been working off his back line every week which contributes so much to our team?

Workrate is completely relative to the specific player and is not an absolute in the slightest, imv

I've only seen the highlights of the Fulham Arsenal game so it is a bit difficult for me to comment. Did he spend ninety minutes running across the face of the defence and going down blind alleys to create space for others? Because that is what I see AVB instructing his strikers to do.

Where are people suggesting that we would play Berbatov. I pick up on the Dempsey hate, are people suggesting playing him behind a striker in 4-2-3-1, in the lone forward position or as one of a front 2 in 4-4-2?

I think the answer to that question depends on the opposition. In fixtures against sides of lower quality I would play 442, against the too sides he could play as lone striker. I think the biggest weakness with that formation for us now is that we have no player who is great at what VDV did last season.

I almost question, and I KNOW I'm going to be mocked for this, whether Huddlestone could play that role. If the role is dictated by supplying the right pass and shooting at goal then I can imagine him playing some wonderful through passes for our striker, that is if he can get his passing game back together, it was sorely missing against Emirates Marketing Project.

We could then play Parker, when fit, alongside Sandro. As we would only be employing 451 against the top sides I think this would add further defensive grit whilst retaining a player who can continue to supply the striker with top passes. The biggest question and the ammunition for others will, I'd imagine, be Hudddlestone's lack of mobility.

Anyhow this thread is about Berbatov and I've just walked hopelessly off topic, sorry.

I've only seen the highlights of the Fulham Arsenal game so it is a bit difficult for me to comment. Did he spend ninety minutes running across the face of the defence and going down blind alleys to create space for others? Because that is what I see AVB instructing his strikers to do.

He didn't chase down dead balls like a headless chicken all game but his quality on the ball, creativity and desire for involvement in the final third made all the difference for them upfront. Running around, chasing balls all game is by no means the criteria of a great/sucessful/useful player and I'm sure AVB would recognise and acknowledge that (especially bearing in mind Hudd's pressing game and his regular involvement recently and his preference of Gallas who's been utterly brick for weeks over Dawson his is faster and more athletic). I don't hate Dempsey in the slightest - simply gave you an example of running around a lot to little effect while other players (Ibrahimovic, Berbatov, Sheringham, Gomez,etc.) can have a higher impact on the game through different application.

Where are people suggesting that we would play Berbatov. I pick up on the Dempsey hate, are people suggesting playing him behind a striker in 4-2-3-1, in the lone forward position or as one of a front 2 in 4-4-2?

He's a versatile unit who can play in number of positions but lately Jol seems to be utlising him as no.10 having recently stated he longer sees him as a 'pure' no. 9. He can fit in any of the formations you mentioned above with ease.

Last edited:
He didn't chase down dead balls like a headless chicken all game but his quality on the ball, creativity and desire for involvement in the final third made all the difference for them upfront. Running around, chasing balls all game is by no means the criteria of a great/sucessful/useful player and I'm sure AVB would recognise and acknowledge that (especially bearing in mind Hudd's pressing game and his regular involvement recently and his preference of Gallas who's been utterly brick for weeks over Dawson his is faster and more athletic). I don't hate Dempsey in the slightest - simply gave you an example of running around a lot to little effect while other players (Ibrahimovic, Berbatov, Sheringham, Gomez,etc.) can have a higher impact on the game through different application.

He's a versatile unit who can play in number of positions but lately Jol seems to be utlising him as no.10 having recently stated he longer sees him as a 'pure' no. 9. He can fit in any of the formations you mentioned above with ease.

I think you are misunderstanding what I mean. My question was about work off the ball which I think is something that AVB is asking his strikers to do.

You will hear no argument from me on Berbatov's quality, he is one of the best players that I have seen in a Spurs shirt.

I simply feel if AVB had a player of that ilk (workrate if you wish) - he would be prepared to re-align some of his tactical approach since the output would be far greater than the 'compromise'

Will never happen though

If we could have had that one overlapping season of Modric and Berbatov......

I wish he had never signed for Manchester United :(

I wonder how he feels about that move now. I can understand why he moved but he could have been a Premiership Legend of all time had he stayed with us and now his reputation is less so due to the time he spent on the bench at Old Trafford.

I guess in life you take chances, you try to see what you are capable of and that's what he did but, if only he had stayed with us! The goal near the start when he dummied the keeper, after dummying the defender, his close touch was sublime. I doubt we will see a striker of his calibre, at our club, for a long time to come.

I think at the end of his career he'll look back and see the League winners medal, the Champions League medal etc. Yes he wasn't Man Utd's star player, but he did play a fair bit an as a chapter to his career I'm sure he'll be proud of it. Basically the opposite of his time at Spurs, so with both chapters I think he'll feel great.

I think at the end of his career he'll look back and see the League winners medal, the Champions League medal etc. Yes he wasn't Man Utd's star player, but he did play a fair bit an as a chapter to his career I'm sure he'll be proud of it. Basically the opposite of his time at Spurs, so with both chapters I think he'll feel great.

he didnt win the CL, United won it the season before he signed iirc

but yeah, i dont think he regrets the Utd move at all. He played quite a lot, scored goals, earned lots of money, won trophies.

Apologise for what in particular? Being wanted by Manchester Utd? Or for the fact Levy wanted top dollar hence the protracted soap opera?

We've been over this before. His refusal to play for the club was well documented, as was his decision to just sit on the bench and not move when Jol asked him to warm up at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. In the end, you believe what you want to believe I suppose. But I don't know why managers are held to such high standards when it comes to their behaviour/conduct, but players are allowed to almost do as they please and the fans will always forgive them if they have enough talent.

Is that the same Jol who Berbatov apparently got sacked and conspired against :)lol:) - the same one who recently refuted all that as pure flimflam and went through great lenghts to sign him at Fulham (breaking wage caps, etc.), while Berbatov himself confirmed it was a 'dream come true' playing for an old friend and someone who 'understands him'.

Well, forgive if I don't take those 'well documented' stories as gospel.

Is that the same Jol who Berbatov apparently got sacked and conspired against :)lol:) - the same one who recently refuted all that as pure flimflam and went through great lenghts to sign him at Fulham (breaking wage caps, etc.), while Berbatov himself confirmed it was a 'dream come true' playing for an old friend and someone who 'understands him'.

Well, forgive if I don't take those 'well documented' stories as gospel.

I could dig out quotes from former Spurs players and employees but it would be worthless as you clearly refuse to believe any negative story about your hero.

No - I refuse to believe a-contextual twisted quotes and PR-edited press release scape-goat statements from agenda driven individuals.

In any case - his transfer to Fulham and subsequent interviews from both Jol and himself finally thrashed half of those to pieces. Once and for all.

No - I refuse to believe a-contextual twisted quotes and PR-edited press release scape-goat statements from agenda driven individuals.

In any case - his transfer to Fulham and subsequent interviews from both Jol and himself finally thrashed half of those to pieces. Once and for all.

just because he has moved to Fulham and everything now is ok doesnt mean that there were no problems between Jol and Berba whilst they were at Spurs

big players can easily have run ins with the best of managers....Fergie has his fair share of confrontations with the likes of Beckham, keane, Ince, Yorke, Rooney etc. Is it so unbelievable that Jol and Berba could have had one or two spats but they were eventually sorted out??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back