• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Berahino in January for £25m?

Berahino in January for £25m?

• Yes

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters
We need to see how Son and Clint get on

That's something I just don't get

People have said we havent strengthened yet we signed 6 players and two have yet to even pull in a shirt... And we're failing already (not you by the way, just some fans)

These two could conceivably play this weekend against a sunderland side who look relegation fodder all ready (but that can change quickly) and look world beaters and the same doom mongererers will be talking about winning the league

You can't judge a transfer window one week after it closes and you never know all the facts as fans as to what goes on

What you do know is who your left with in the squad and what we need to do is give them a chance to play the game they were brought for

I voted no, not because I wouldn't like the player to sign, but because I think Peace has just made his mind up Levy's not having his way. The reason we didn't sign Berahino in the summer window was that Levy's one-eyed financial imperatives dictated that Peace MUST give in to the buyer's terms. His only logical course was to give in, because the player hadn't signed a new contract, and therefore Albion were going to be approaching the dreaded walk-away-on-a-free scenario, when they'd already signed replacements. It was a no-brainer. Trouble was, though, Peace didn't feel like giving in.

Exactly the same imperative will apply in January, as far as Levy's concerned, ceteris paribus, and once again, the only possible course of action in his eyes will be for Peace to cave, so he'll be low-balling again. In the meantime, however, Peace's attitude will have had time to harden even further. That there will be other suitors looking to bargain on fresh terms is a virtual certainty, and Berahino may even be persuaded to sign that new contract with the release clause, if he's offered enough of a sweetener, and he believes Peace when he tells him Spurs aren't going to win this one, whatever happens. He isn't ever coming here now, IMO.

Last edited:
definitely not, not because of the player but look what business swansea did with Ayew and Gomis, they didn't cost 25m, I'm surprised Levy would sanction this after what happened with soldado

I voted no, not because I wouldn't like the player to sign, but because I think Peace has just made his mind up Levy's not having his way. The reason we didn't sign Berahino in the summer window was that Levy's one-eyed financial imperatives dictated that Peace MUST give in to the buyer's terms. His only logical course was to give in, because the player hadn't signed a new contract, and therefore Albion were going to be approaching the dreaded walk-away-on-a-free scenario, when they'd already signed replacements. It was a no-brainer. Trouble was, though, Peace didn't feel like giving in.

Exactly the same imperative will apply in January, as far as Levy's concerned, ceteris paribus, and once again, the only possible course of action in his eyes will be for Peace to cave, so he'll be low-balling again. In the meantime, however, Peace's attitude will have had time to harden even further. That there will be other suitors looking to bargain on fresh terms is a virtual certainty, and Berahino may even be persuaded to sign that new contract with the release clause, if he's offered enough of a sweetener, and he believes Peace when he tells him Spurs aren't going to win this one, whatever happens. He isn't ever coming here now, IMO.

West Brom will be happy to let him walk for free if he scores enough goals this season to keep them in the prem and the £120m that comes with it from the new TV deal.

If Berahino cannot score against top opposition ....hes not worth buying.
Defoe had the same problem. Score tons against smaller teams .but as soon
as he was put under pressure against a decent defense he faded away.

This is the difference between someone who can create their own goals
and those that cant. ie .... Berbs, Soldado.Soldado being the latter.

A super strike does not make a super player!

definitely not, not because of the player but look what business swansea did with Ayew and Gomis, they didn't cost 25m, I'm surprised Levy would sanction this after what happened with soldado

Gomis is a good buy, but Ayew is rumoured to be on an Ade type deal, signing bonus and stupid wages (100K+)

I did; from what i read he gave opinions based on statements by Poch and our club's actions.
What he wrote seemed no more 'made up' than anything else written in this thread...

Fare enough, but we all must realise opinion is fine as long as it does not later get used as fact to criticise or underpin critcism.

and those that cant.
ie .... Berbs, Soldado.Soldado being the latter.

Part of what people miss with the Berahino issue is

- We were looking for an effective second striker

You don't break the bank for someone who won't even be guaranteed a starting 11 spot, for 25M+ he would have to be genuine option to replace Kane as starter.

and those that cant. ie .... Berbs, Soldado.Soldado being the latter.

I think it's unfair to lump Defoe in with Soldado. Defoe scored loads of goals for Spurs.

Last season Berahino scored against Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea (2), Southampton and Swansea.

That is 2 of the top 4 and 5 of the top 8.

From what I saw of him he is the sort of player who could score against any team, he is a very good finisher.

Part of what people miss with the Berahino issue is

- We were looking for an effective second striker

You don't break the bank for someone who won't even be guaranteed a starting 11 spot, for 25M+ he would have to be genuine option to replace Kane as starter.
I think he is that. His goalscoring record for England under 21s is just as good as Harry Kane's. However the beauty with Berahino is that he would've made a great number 9 with Kane dropping back to number 10 and also been able to complement Kane at 9 by playing as a wide forward from either the right of the left. It is pretty clear the the manager wanted Berahino as his alternative option for the number 9 role, unfortunately the chairman did not deliver however.

I think he is that. His goalscoring record for England under 21s is just as good as Harry Kane's. However the beauty with Berahino is that he would've made a great number 9 with Kane dropping back to number 10 and also been able to complement Kane at 9 by playing as a wide forward from either the right of the left. It is pretty clear the the manager wanted Berahino as his alternative option for the number 9 role, unfortunately the chairman did not deliver however.

Do you really see Berahino scoring 30 goals in a season with a club outside the top 4? I don't.

And regardless of if he has that upside, that isn't what we are looking for, its clear Kane is #1, any incoming player plays with or covers for Kane. That means there has to be a cap on the cost.

Honestly however, I don't think 30M would have bought him, WBA (like Everton with Stones) decided to make it an ego thing ... they were likely never going to sell.

Are you a wind up? Can you not post without patronising?

I had to apologise for my OTT sarcasm last night it was uncalled for.

I have a pet hate of people using their opinion as fact that later is used as a basis to criticise someone or something.

We must try to get behind the team we all love!

Last edited:
Do you really see Berahino scoring 30 goals in a season with a club outside the top 4? I don't.

And regardless of if he has that upside, that isn't what we are looking for, its clear Kane is #1, any incoming player plays with or covers for Kane. That means there has to be a cap on the cost.

Honestly however, I don't think 30M would have bought him, WBA (like Everton with Stones) decided to make it an ego thing ... they were likely never going to sell.
Berahino scored 20 goals last season for a club battling relegation. You could also ask whether Kane would've been able to score 20 goals at a club like WBA where chances are far less frequent. Look at Kane and Berahino's respective records for England under 21s (where they get to play alongside players of the same ability).

Why on earth does there have to be a cap on the cost of buying a goalscorer, probably the most valuable of all players? If we had a number 9 who cannot play as the number 10 or were buying a new number 9 who couldn't play from the wide forward positions then you might have a point. Remember also that Berahino is only 21 so still has lots of potential upside.

I disagree that £30 million wouldn't have bought him.... Perhaps it wouldn't if made in desperation with 30 minutes of the window left with Pullis having no time to spend any of the windfall on strengthening other areas, however if even £25 million was offered at a decent point of the transfer window then I think the player would've gone and Pullis would've been happy to have then spent half of that on other reinforcements.

Just buy him FFS. The extra £5m required to secure his signature would be paid for by better results (league placing and cup revenue) and exposure/advertising and hype around the club (rather than a stagnating club) and a decision to tile the interior walkways of the new stadium in a different type of tile (or some other completely irrelevant little detail in a huge project).

Just buy him FFS. The extra £5m required to secure his signature would be paid for by better results (league placing and cup revenue) and exposure/advertising and hype around the club (rather than a stagnating club) and a decision to tile the interior walkways of the new stadium in a different type of tile (or some other completely irrelevant little detail in a huge project).

This why fans and financial decisions are best kept apart. £5m is still a brick load of dosh no matter which way you cut it*.

*This does not apply all teams in Europe. You all know their names.

This why fans and financial decisions are best kept apart. £5m is still a **** load of dosh no matter which way you cut it*.

*This does not apply all teams in Europe. You all know their names.
*Not to WBA either apparently (or Peace specifically). He's just thrown away that amount of money at least for his club with his behaviour during this transfer.
If a club the size of Spurs can't push the boat out by 5mil in support of our manager then would be disappointed to say the least.

I see posts saying that if Berahino stays he may score the goals with keeps them up and the added TV money that comes with it. That point is made on the false premise that no else would score enough goals to keep him them up, which I don't buy. This transfer was more about Peace's ego than anything else and for me Levy gets a complete pass on this one (not all of them just this one ;))

Don't think Levy does "push the boat out" anymore after the likes of Lamela and Soldado are still fresh in the memory.

Back