• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Berahino in January for £25m?

Berahino in January for £25m?

• Yes

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters
they pay him to do a job, he needs to suck it up and be a pro, if he wants to leave then his best move is to not extend his contract though imo
Agreed. Play as well as he can but refuse a new contract. That ensures that he will hold all of the aces when it comes to January or next Summer. Playing well this season also might result in Berahino getting a move to a bigger club than us and receiving even higher wages.

I do not believe in coincidences and it is no coincidence that practically every window we get "news" of Levy tinkleing off a club. WBA this year, Southampton last, Lyon with Lloris, Seville with Fazio, Sporting with Dier, Seville again with Ramos and the list goes on. People will say that Levy is just doing this for the best interest of the club, which I can understand. But why is it always US that get the bad publicity? Hundreds of transfers are done every window but it is consistently US that are held up as untrustworthy and cheapskates. Don't the chairmen of other clubs also look out for their own? So why don't we see the same headlines about them? Even Chel53a came out smelling sweeter in their pursuit of Stones. Why, then, is it always us that get the bad press? Is it possible there is a wholesale Fleet Street agenda against us?

Interesting point. It's a shame that the transfers where there is success aren't mentioned. Of course the one co-incidence is that the other side complained about something or other. The other co-incidence is that Levy is our chairman. However, I think if you look at the circumstances a bit deeper, you could argue that there are other very separate factors that lead to the complaining. We've done Southampton and WBA to death, but I just want to clarify a few things:

Lyon with Lloris - You failed to mention this year Aulas' comments about what a pleasure it was doing business with us. By the by, Aulas has a history of complaining about everyone who buys their best prospects including Chelsea. So the co-incidence here could be argued to be Aulas.

Sporting with Dier - None of the ire was directed at Spurs but rather Dier's representatives and father -->http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ric-Diers-departure-to-Tottenham-Hotspur.html

Sevilla with Ramos - They were upset of an apparent illegal approach. The thing with manager "transfers" is that they cannot effectively stop a manager from leaving, but instead have to relent. They were unhappy we tapped up Ramos, so much like Southampton are annoyed at the fact they lost a manager to us. In the end it was settled amicably with them saying they were happy with the agreement.

Seville with Fazio - We paid the buy out clause, they felt that the buy-out clause was only for domestic transfers only. That was the problem and I think it was mostly directed at Fazio for appearing with us before they had received the money. In order for a transfer to go through and be official, both clubs have to submit the registration, so I wonder just how genuine this is.

We should have course say "screw them" and erect an "us and them" bunker attitude but would that be useful? If we really want to improve, we need to buy players. And after the Bale money debacle, players from Premier clubs offer a lower risk element. However, if our reputation as untrustworthy transfer partners precedes us, then we should not be surprised to find doors closing shut in our faces...

Money talks and if they don't want to do business, screw them is a perfect response. Southampton don't want to do business with us because they see us as direct rivals. WBA because Peace wanted to have his drama and make everything public. We have bought from other english clubs this transfer window and previous windows without so much of a whimper of discomfort but that doesn't fit the narrative. Almost every top 10 club in this league will have an example of someone being tinkled off that they have bought a player.

For all it's worth, I believe that Levy left it late, thinking he held all the cards in the poker game and believing he could bully Peace to accept the move on our terms. But he failed to read both the circumstances as well as his opponent, who just pulled out the royal flush at the very end to win the game. As for Levy walking away, how can you square that circle when we were throwing desperate offer after offer past the eleventh hour? To me, it just confirms that Levy got caught with his pants down!

Well, I don't think there is anything that anyone can say to persuade you otherwise. You've obviously made up your mind. Forget that transfers in general take a long time, forget that our first bid went in on 18 August. That first bid does not signify the first time that you have made contact or negotiating. So why let facts get in the way. We have managed to sign a number of players this window before the deadline, but Levy decided that for Berahino he wanted a bit of excitement. You know, he just really wants to screw things up for bricks and giggles.

As for Levy walking away. Ultimately he did. He wanted to get a deal done because he wanted the player. Surely that's what we want him to do? If he was desperate he could have offered £50m but he didn't. He bid to his maximum and then walked away.

I do accept that in any transfer you win some and lose some but no amount of sweeteners can disguise the fact that the Berahino affair was a total shambles from start to finish. If posters like Milo think that is OTT, I have no problem; I equally think that some of the posts in this thread belie a groupie mentality, if not extremely condescending

The Berahino transfer saga was a complete shambles, but to lay the blame at Levy's door is unfair. It was a shambles because it was enacted in public for which there was no Spurs involvement. What is OTT is to assume that just because there are a group of people that just so happen to agree on a viewpoint that is contrary to your own that there is a "groupie mentality" and that they are condescending. Please point it out specifically, as for me I will just assume that I have been condescending which is not my intention.

I just hope that Levy learns a lesson from this farce especially that, in business, the last thing you want is to antagonise the people who you want to deal with. I am not holding my breath, though...

I don't think you should hold your breath and I don't think Levy has anything fundamental to particularly learn. His way of working has been successful, and he's not the problem. He's working within his means and if that tinkles people other clubs off, then there's not a lot you can do. It may stop being able to do further business with those clubs, but it also may not. Until we see evidence of this, I don't think it is a problem. Yes, there are going to be things that he could have done better. No one is perfect and I don't see the consistency that you do in clubs having a problem in dealing with us.

The only difference being that Everton said he was not for sale from the start and Stones is on a much longer contract. His value will increase further as he matures whereas beyond January (assuming he will not sign a new contract) Berahino's value will only plummet.

In the case of Berahino, it was obvious that WBA not only wanted but were expecting to sell. Why buy BOTH Rondon and Lambert in advance, when Pulis is pretty fixed in his one striker game plan? And why should Peace had to "take it personally"? The guy has sold players before - even important ones; he sold Shane Long when he had no replacement lined up... Why didn't he take it personally with Southampton then?

There is no doubt in my mind that we would have concluded the Berahino deal if we had gone about it in a different, more cooperative and proactive manner. And probably even for the final 25 mill we ended up offering...

Oh come on, no doubt? All of the things you are saying in the second paragraph are the points why Levy thought a deal could be done. However, I think the only obvious thing is that Peace had a very different valuation of the player than we did, so we could have got it done if we paid significantly more than we were prepared.

As an aside, it is obvious that Peace had taken it personally. If he, as you suggest, would have been happy with £25m but didn't accept our final bid of that amount because of the manner in which the business was done, he has obviously taken it personally.

Oh come on, no doubt? All of the things you are saying in the second paragraph are the points why Levy thought a deal could be done. However, I think the only obvious thing is that Peace had a very different valuation of the player than we did, so we could have got it done if we paid significantly more than we were prepared.

As an aside, it is obvious that Peace had taken it personally. If he, as you suggest, would have been happy with £25m but didn't accept our final bid of that amount because of the manner in which the business was done, he has obviously taken it personally.
And perhaps rightly so.... £25 million with 30 minutes of the window left leaves them no time to invest in other players. A £25 million price had been talked about in the press for weeks, I can only assume that had been released by WBA and/or Berahino's agent. It seems that we eventually met that price, just WAY too late. It was a game of brinksmanship that Levy lost. He has done the same before and won, although usually when selling as opposed to buying - and perhaps he should learn from that?

And perhaps rightly so.... £25 million with 30 minutes of the window left leaves them no time to invest in other players. A £25 million price had been talked about in the press for weeks, I can only assume that had been released by WBA and/or Berahino's agent. It seems that we eventually met that price, just WAY too late. It was a game of brinksmanship that Levy lost. He has done the same before and won, although usually when selling as opposed to buying - and perhaps he should learn from that?

But if that were the case, then the original point about it being obvious that he was for sale because of Rondon and Lambert being the replacements does not hold true.

I will wait to pass judgement, but Son looks a Lamela replacement - not a Kane alternative. This sudden "promotion" to a striker (coincidentally at the same time as missing out on Berahino), when he has been playing midfield in Germany all his career, is strange to say the least.

As for icing on cakes... Levy does not spend £22 or £25 mill on any icing; if it was just icing, he would not have gone back with two or three offers past the eleventh hours. I think you are rather deluding yourself there. We were desperate for Berahino - the way things panned out on deadline day fit in more with that picture...

To quote Son himself (admittedly the copy is from Wikipedia but the quote is referenced):

Son is known as a versatile attacker due to his ability to use both feet equally well; although he often played the role of a second striker with Hamburg, he can play either as a second striker as well as even a first striker. Son has confirmed this, saying, "I don't care where I play. The main thing is I'm in the game. I can play as a second striker or behind. What the coach says, I'll do. I don't have a favorite position. I'll be anywhere and always on the throttle." Other strengths of Son include his explosive pace, dribbling abilities, composure in front of goal, and hard-working nature.

Not convinced we 'promoted' him. Seems like he considers himself a striker/forward rather than a midfielder. Presumably based on something and not just the playground everyone wants to be a goal-hanger concept. Perhaps he has been used deeper/wider because of his versatility? Perhaps we will play him wide but use his ability to cover/support Kane when needed.

For all it's worth, I believe that Levy left it late, thinking he held all the cards in the poker game and believing he could bully Peace to accept the move on our terms. But he failed to read both the circumstances as well as his opponent, who just pulled out the royal flush at the very end to win the game.
I don't think that's an accurate analogy.

It would be more accurate to say that Levy held all the cards only to see Peace eat the river card, set fire to the pot, make a dirty protest on the wall and begin a thorough appraisal of the taste of all the windows in the room.

Levy was playing poker and playing it well, only to find out Peace was playing Pat-a-cake.

Seeing as they had already bought the strikers to replace him makes your point mute.

No it doesn't. If they stay up, they get 120m. If he gets only 6 goals all season, that keeps them up. Then peace would be 100% correct in his stance

No it doesn't. If they stay up, they get 120m. If he gets only 6 goals all season, that keeps them up. Then peace would be 100% correct in his stance

If you read my post you would see I was replying to someone who said it was to late to spend the money we offered, seeing as they had already bought two strikers there was no need to buy a replacement for him.

Is the new TV deal 120m a year? That sounds a bit high

In fairnesss I was using a figure quote by someone on this site, so don't know the validity, it's been widely quoted though that whoever finishes bottom next year gets the same money as the champs do this year.

If you read my post you would see I was replying to someone who said it was to late to spend the money we offered, seeing as they had already bought two strikers there was no need to buy a replacement for him.

I did read the post in question, just don't agree with your conclusion. If they couldn't strengthen in other areas (because of lack of time), then it was better for them to keep him, especially considering he can play in multiple positions (which is one of the reasons we wanted him I suspect)

I did read the post in question, just don't agree with your conclusion. If they couldn't strengthen in other areas (because of lack of time), then it was better for them to keep him, especially considering he can play in multiple positions (which is one of the reasons we wanted him I suspect)

I never said anything about keeping him or not, its more in answer to this.

What is the point in selling with 30 minutes of the window left?.... There is no time to spend the money.

You disagree fine but it still does makes the point mute ( imo).

Seeing as they had already bought the strikers to replace him makes your point mute.

Actually they were after a couple of wingers judging by their message boards; once it was too late for them to do that business, I guess Peace decided he would go down with the ship...

I never said anything about keeping him or not, its more in answer to this.

What is the point in selling with 30 minutes of the window left?.... There is no time to spend the money.

You disagree fine but it still does makes the point mute ( imo).

But they had no time to spend the 25m, so peace thought I may as well keep him and if his goals keep us up then even if his value drops by 15m in a year, I would have done the right thing.

Actually they were after a couple of wingers judging by their message boards; once it was too late for them to do that business, I guess Peace decided he would go down with the ship...

Well fans are all the same across the board( especially message boards) and they/we ( some of us anyway) will always want another player no matter how many we signed, so I would not take to much notice of that.

Back