• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

he offers penetration into the box, causing chaos in the opponents lines singlehandedly, and by default creating space for others.

no harm trying to be like bale, but there's a fine balance between trying (ambition) and wastefulness (pot shots).

he was involved in Sig's second goal at the weekend.....came inside with the ball, dragging defenders with him, laid it off to Eriksen who played in Paulinno who had acres of space to run into as a result of Townsend vacating the right hand side

I've actually seen a number of clever plays from him, including glimpses of vision like a few incisive first-time passes to Soldado that Soldado was just a micro-second short to react on. The issue with Townsend isn't his ability (and the same goes for Rose and Walker), it's the consistency and balance. He needs to display that kind of creativity and smart decision-making much more often rather than instinctively go for goal, because at the moment he's focused too much (perhaps understandably) on the shooting side.

he offers penetration into the box, causing chaos in the opponents lines singlehandedly, and by default creating space for others.

no harm trying to be like bale, but there's a fine balance between trying (ambition) and wastefulness (pot shots).

I agree. And I'd say that even Bale fell more on the "wastefulness (pot shots)" side of things until part-way through last season. Hopefully Townsend will go through a similar maturity/progression.

Would sell for a few bob. Not enough to his game, poor passer, poor crosser, poor shot, not actually that quick. Moves are always going to break down with him. Do not think he will get enough goals and assists and he is not a neat player like Lennon, who is also good defensively.

He might be ok against against weak teams and weak defenses, but ultimately is not going to be good enough. Sell him in Jan, lets not go 2 years to confirm what some of us know.

I was chuffed we sold Caulker, because that showed ambition, showed we are not going accept mediocrity.

He fits into the Hudd, Livermore, Caulker and Carroll category.

Were you up for letting Bale go to Forest when that was being talked about there was 'not enough to his game'? How about giving him some more time to play at this level and then make a judgement?

Let's give him time to adapt to a new team; I've always viewed him as the one from the youth that will make it (wasn't totally sure about Caulker tbh). I really like his attitude and for me it's like another great signing. Still young, a Spurs supporter and a local lad - ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Were you up for letting Bale go to Forest when that was being talked about there was 'not enough to his game'? How about giving him some more time to play at this level and then make a judgement?

In fairness I thought Bale displayed obvious class from his very first game, before his injuries and loss of confidence kicked in - not just pace but lovely technique and control, and I don't think Townsend has ever shown anything near his level yet. OTOH Townsend does have a better attitude and more courage than Bale did at that time.

I place Townsend in the Rose and Carroll category - I think they are clearly PL-level players of some sort, including Carroll, and they are young and eager enough to improve, but they don't quite have the cool intelligence, absurd prodigy-like experience, and technical rarity of our foreign imports like Eriksen. I am still happy to give them time though, and I think they'll end up playing the role that the likes of Welbeck and Cleverly play at United - very decent squad players who will have a brilliant game from time to time and who help maintain the connection to the fans, without being first XI mainstays.

In fairness I thought Bale displayed obvious class from his very first game, before his injuries and loss of confidence kicked in - not just pace but lovely technique and control, and I don't think Townsend has ever shown anything near his level yet. OTOH Townsend does have a better attitude and more courage than Bale did at that time.

I place Townsend in the Rose and Carroll category - I think they are clearly PL-level players of some sort, including Carroll, and they are young and eager enough to improve, but they don't quite have the cool intelligence, absurd prodigy-like experience, and technical rarity of our foreign imports like Eriksen. I am still happy to give them time though, and I think they'll end up playing the role that the likes of Welbeck and Cleverly play at United - very decent squad players who will have a brilliant game from time to time and who help maintain the connection to the fans, without being first XI mainstays.

Would not put him in the category of Welbeck, I think like Hudd and O'Hara he will end up at a Hull or a Wolves.

Lower PL team or Championship.Not as good as Jermaine Pennant . We need to up our game. Holtby, Lennon and Defoe should be the standard of squad players, not Townsend, Carroll, Caulker , O'Hara or Hudd.

It is an easy option to predict someone will flop. Law of averages say most do.

I am confidently saying Andros will have his breakthrough EPL game against Cardiff. If he doesn't then it will happen for him some time this term.

To say he has no pace is downright dumb

I think Townsend has more potential than Hudd or O'Hara, who seem to be dodged by injuries and a lack of aggression/focus as much as anything else. You could argue his directness, flashy dribbling, and sheer enthusiasm are carrying him more than actual technique or vision, but I think that's like a good many England-coached wingers out there (Redmond, Zaha, Moses, Sterling et al). (Harsh but you can tell I'm not a fan of English-style players ... :lol:)

Just because of his technical ability and maturity I expect Carroll to do better than any of them, if he can hold up physically - he is the kind of player who blossoms later in his career, and I think we'll be quite patient with him. Cleverley is already 24 and still feels like a youngster for Man Utd, while 23-year-old Rose was hardly a standout in our youth team but has held up his own quite well for us and Sunderland so far. I'm always happy to poach wonderkids like Halilovic but with these youngsters it's really just shooting blindly in the dark - I don't expect any to become world-class, but that doesn't mean the likes of Townsend aren't contributing to the cause.

I agree. And I'd say that even Bale fell more on the "wastefulness (pot shots)" side of things until part-way through last season. Hopefully Townsend will go through a similar maturity/progression.

yes and to progress from here its part Townsend and part AVB's responsibility. Bale naturally improved with time with more opportunites to roam under Redknapp, but you could see him applying himself better under AVB. All part of growing up, we have to be patient with Townsend and trust AVB that he knows how to expose and groom young talents.

Once everyone is available, I don't see Townsend even making the bench. A couple of decent performances against pub teams and his ability is being seriously over-stated.

Once everyone is available, I don't see Townsend even making the bench. A couple of decent performances against pub teams and his ability is being seriously over-stated.

dont be so sure....I dont see anyone saying he is the next Messi, but he is a young player that is improving all the time. AVB mentioned this yesterday, that he is surprised by Townsend's rapid development. I think its simply up to Townsend to make it difficult for AVB to leave him out

That's possible, if at any point this season we have absolutely no injuries and no suspensions.

Part of what being a squad player is all about, if he keeps developing and keeps pushing himself then he might change that too.

Considering his good performances for QPR last season in the Premier League and his fairly good performances this season against PL opposition I think "pub teams" is somewhat harsh.

Would sell for a few bob. Not enough to his game, poor passer, poor crosser, poor shot, not actually that quick. Moves are always going to break down with him. Do not think he will get enough goals and assists and he is not a neat player like Lennon, who is also good defensively.

He might be ok against against weak teams and weak defenses, but ultimately is not going to be good enough. Sell him in Jan, lets not go 2 years to confirm what some of us know.

I was chuffed we sold Caulker, because that showed ambition, showed we are not going accept mediocrity.

:ross:

He is 22 not 18, he has been out on loan about 9 times already. It is simple, if he starts getting a lot of assists and goals no one can argue, if he doesn't "some will say, but he does other things and he has potential give him time" . Then eventually , they will realise/admit that he is not good enough and then soon after he will go and join Hudd and Livermore at Hull or somewhere like that.

Not good enough, if he starts scoring and gets assists I will change my mind .

He is 22 not 18, he has been out on loan about 9 times already. It is simple, if he starts getting a lot of assists and goals no one can argue, if he doesn't "some will say, but he does other things and he has potential give him time" . Then eventually , they will realise/admit that he is not good enough and then soon after he will go and join Hudd and Livermore at Hull or somewhere like that.

Not good enough, if he starts scoring and gets assists I will change my mind .

He has had 9 loans and steadily got better, moving to a better club each time. He has just moved from playing for QPR at the bottom of the PL to playing for us at the top. He is on a steady upward curve and to shoot him down when he has not shown any signs of plateauing as of yet is nonsensical and I believe most of the board would share this sentiment.

You are entitled to your opinon but methinks you are talking complete and utter tosh

AVB:

Meanwhile, Villas-Boas admitted he has been pleasantly surprised by the form of Andros Townsend this season, who has taken his chance in the team following an injury to Aaron Lennon.

"He came very motivated to do well after his loan," added the Spurs boss. "He was jumping for an opportunity. That opportunity arose due to Lennon's injury and he took it. Sometimes a player on the fringe of the first eleven doesn't do enough to break into the team, but he has taken the opportunity.

"He is very explosive in his game, through changes of pace and his dribbling ability. He is difficult to control with his change of pace. He has developed a lot in the last year, on loan at QPR and with us. Hopefully he can develop into a top player."

Back