• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

Angry right wingers in not understanding what someone means shocker!

Saying someone is the reason why there's high funding towards a cause that requires it, is not saying they're the root cause of the problem.

Nothing worse than faux outrage from confused snowflake gammons.

I don't think it's faux outrage, I think it's very real outrage. Whether it's justified outrage is another matter.
Who's "fault" it is one thing, what actually struck me is that he appears to say 6bn dollars a month in tax payers money. I stand to corrected on the monthly part, but that's how I hear it.
That not only seems like a huge amount of money, but a huge amount of money from tax from a country that funds it's health "care" through insurance.
My understanding of American health care is extremely sketchy so maybe I'm missing something and if so I stand to corrected (again).
Even 6bn dollars (sorry can't find the dollar sign) per year sounds to me excessive.

I don't think it's faux outrage, I think it's very real outrage. Whether it's justified outrage is another matter.
Who's "fault" it is one thing, what actually struck me is that he appears to say 6bn dollars a month in tax payers money. I stand to corrected on the monthly part, but that's how I hear it.
That not only seems like a huge amount of money, but a huge amount of money from tax from a country that funds it's health "care" through insurance.
My understanding of American health care is extremely sketchy so maybe I'm missing something and if so I stand to corrected (again).
Even 6bn dollars (sorry can't find the dollar sign) per year sounds to me excessive.

The details might not be technically correct, who knows, but the idea is to take a clip out of context to make out that is an offensive comment. Now the link itself has been amended when you play the video to state that the comment was in reference to the setting up of the Elton John foundation. To me the more money put in to fighting disease / illnesses the better. It used to be a death sentence to have aids because the meds were costed too high to be feasible for anyone except the elite. Not sure if you've seen Dallas Buyers Club but worth a watch if you'd rather see a Hollywood adaptation then reading the history itself but it was fudged up.

JGL says it is a horrific comment but doesn't care to explain why. He doesn't usually expand on his nonsense when he's asked to clarify something anyways. Marky as usual pedals some RW flimflam that gets fact checked because it is misleading. I don't see either of them coming back to admit what one has posted about and the other agreed with was total gonad*s.

The details might not be technically correct, who knows, but the idea is to take a clip out of context to make out that is an offensive comment. Now the link itself has been amended when you play the video to state that the comment was in reference to the setting up of the Elton John foundation. To me the more money put in to fighting disease / illnesses the better. It used to be a death sentence to have aids because the meds were costed too high to be feasible for anyone except the elite. Not sure if you've seen Dallas Buyers Club but worth a watch if you'd rather see a Hollywood adaptation then reading the history itself but it was fudged up.

JGL says it is a horrific comment but doesn't care to explain why. He doesn't usually expand on his nonsense when he's asked to clarify something anyways. Marky as usual pedals some RW flimflam that gets fact checked because it is misleading. I don't see either of them coming back to admit what one has posted about and the other agreed with was total gonad*s.

Re the clip and it's posting , the unfortunate thing is that this is now politics and how it operates.
That is the playbook now.
No policy, long term vision or joined up thinking, it's all headlines, a new and better headline every day to distract from the fact that yesterday's headline was at best not followed through and at worst disastrous.
Don't sell your vision, throw mud at the opposition.
The politicians of the most powerful country in the world are squabbling over "laptop's", "hush money" and other pretty pathetic "scandals" as the world descends into chaos.
In this country despite a government "of the hated tories" being in power for over a decade and making a huge arse of it it's still not clear that they won't win the next election.
In Scotland the ruling party are being investigated for fraud, the former FM is under suspension of misleading parliament (several times), the FM previous to the former FM is taking her and the SNP to court for misfeance, this list really is endless so I'll cut it here, but again it's not certain they will lose the next election.
It doesn't seem to be much different the world over.

Yes money for the the ill should be a priority, that doesn't mean it should not be accountable.
6bn in one area is 6bn not being spent somewhere else.
If some of that 6bn is being spent irresponsibly, and let's remember that is what government excells at, that is money that could save someone else's life.
Now I suspect that in the excitement and chaos of the event Biden has either got his time frame or bn/mn mixed up, no big deal, it happens.
But I would like to think someone somewhere is saying "can we check that?.
If not that for me is a far bigger issue than someone mixing up their facts in a situation like that.
I have seen dallas buyers club, great film.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, waiting to go to the dentist 😋

Re the clip and it's posting , the unfortunate thing is that this is now politics and how it operates.
That is the playbook now.
No policy, long term vision or joined up thinking, it's all headlines, a new and better headline every day to distract from the fact that yesterday's headline was at best not followed through and at worst disastrous.
Don't sell your vision, throw mud at the opposition.
The politicians of the most powerful country in the world are squabbling over "laptop's", "hush money" and other pretty pathetic "scandals" as the world descends into chaos.
In this country despite a government "of the hated tories" being in power for over a decade and making a huge arse of it it's still not clear that they won't win the next election.
In Scotland the ruling party are being investigated for fraud, the former FM is under suspension of misleading parliament (several times), the FM previous to the former FM is taking her and the SNP to court for misfeance, this list really is endless so I'll cut it here, but again it's not certain they will lose the next election.
It doesn't seem to be much different the world over.

Yes money for the the ill should be a priority, that doesn't mean it should not be accountable.
6bn in one area is 6bn not being spent somewhere else.
If some of that 6bn is being spent irresponsibly, and let's remember that is what government excells at, that is money that could save someone else's life.
Now I suspect that in the excitement and chaos of the event Biden has either got his time frame or bn/mn mixed up, no big deal, it happens.
But I would like to think someone somewhere is saying "can we check that?.
If not that for me is a far bigger issue than someone mixing up their facts in a situation like that.
I have seen dallas buyers club, great film.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, waiting to go to the dentist 😋

What time was the dentist appointment, 2:30? Thank you I am here all week, hope it goes well!

I don't know man, the outrage is intentional in my view. With as much disrespect intended as possible to the two above posters, they've jumped at the chance to react to something that fits their agenda. Have you seen @markysimmo on here exclaiming disgust at the uncountable vile things that Trump says and stands by? Nope. But he'll share things that are slanted to make Biden look bad. If you're dumb enough, anything is outrageous, I'm sure at a trump rally that Biden clip could be used to get people really whipped up despite it being baseless.

If either of the above posters are genuinely worried about homophobia (which is what is implied in the clip if you're a macaron who wants to believe that), perhaps they could do some campaigning to help fight the archaic rules preventing Lesbian couples get the sake access to IVF treatment that hetero couples get, but i doubt that's as interesting as being able to overreact to something.

Posting clips from the Twitter handle "bgatesisapsycho" is a surefire sign of someone going a bit too far down the rabbit hole to expect them to do anything actually positive i guess. It's all about the point scoring / culture wars of getting everyone fuming at each other I guess as you allude to. It's terrifying how people can just pick and choose what to be influenced by if it suits rather than being able to analyze something critically.

Maybe I'm way off base, and Marky will take a break from immigrant bashing and provide an eloquent statement explaining how I've misunderstood the context of the clip and his reason for posting it. I am all ears.

Biden said 'this month' not 'a month'...let me be very blunt. AIDS and HIV was only taken seriously in the US once governments back in the late 80s/early 90s determined it was not just a 'gay' disease. Yes, appalling I know, but true. Once it was clear HIV was affecting the entire population - because HIV is, and never was, a disease with prejudice that only attacks certain communities - then America woke the fudge up. I'd say that people like Magic Johnson did more for HIV awareness than can ever be quantified. Many good people dies unnecessarily. I lost friends back in the late 80s because treatments were both obscure, hard to access, and through the roof expensive.

I am delighted to see that amount being spent (I'd wager in a year) and if it helps further arrive at a point of conclusion and 'end' for the disease, then fantastic. As you said, the 'health care' is via a private system that is profit-based to the point that inefficiencies which still yield profit are vastly preferrable to actually fudging looking after people in both the preventative systems and the reactive systems, so Biden giving 6 billion to this is incredible, as it simply would not happen any other way (save private donation from whacko billionaires, and they all mostly seem pre-occupied with playing Thunderbirds or Star Trek).

As for the clip, it is out of context. Sadly, Biden is easily taken out of context these days. Anyone who actually believes he was intoning a negative sentiment here clearly does not understand that. Either that, or there's a malevolence to it.

Biden said 'this month' not 'a month'...let me be very blunt. AIDS and HIV was only taken seriously in the US once governments back in the late 80s/early 90s determined it was not just a 'gay' disease. Yes, appalling I know, but true. Once it was clear HIV was affecting the entire population - because HIV is, and never was, a disease with prejudice that only attacks certain communities - then America woke the fudge up. I'd say that people like Magic Johnson did more for HIV awareness than can ever be quantified. Many good people dies unnecessarily. I lost friends back in the late 80s because treatments were both obscure, hard to access, and through the roof expensive.

I am delighted to see that amount being spent (I'd wager in a year) and if it helps further arrive at a point of conclusion and 'end' for the disease, then fantastic. As you said, the 'health care' is via a private system that is profit-based to the point that inefficiencies which still yield profit are vastly preferrable to actually fudging looking after people in both the preventative systems and the reactive systems, so Biden giving 6 billion to this is incredible, as it simply would not happen any other way (save private donation from whacko billionaires, and they all mostly seem pre-occupied with playing Thunderbirds or Star Trek).

As for the clip, it is out of context. Sadly, Biden is easily taken out of context these days. Anyone who actually believes he was intoning a negative sentiment here clearly does not understand that. Either that, or there's a malevolence to it.
Although the clip can be interpreted negatively it is fairly obvious what the intention was, even if he said it a little clumsily. To attribute a malicious intent is disingenuous, to say the least.

As you mention Star Trek, I have to say I was a little disappointed to see Captain Kirk go up to space with one of those aforementioned billionaire whackos, but at least his experience engendered the epiphany that there is no place like home. Not that he should have needed that experience to understand something that obvious.

Also Trump was just fined €360mil. That's made my night.

What time was the dentist appointment, 2:30? Thank you I am here all week, hope it goes well!

I don't know man, the outrage is intentional in my view. With as much disrespect intended as possible to the two above posters, they've jumped at the chance to react to something that fits their agenda. Have you seen @markysimmo on here exclaiming disgust at the uncountable vile things that Trump says and stands by? Nope. But he'll share things that are slanted to make Biden look bad. If you're dumb enough, anything is outrageous, I'm sure at a trump rally that Biden clip could be used to get people really whipped up despite it being baseless.

If either of the above posters are genuinely worried about homophobia (which is what is implied in the clip if you're a macaron who wants to believe that), perhaps they could do some campaigning to help fight the archaic rules preventing Lesbian couples get the sake access to IVF treatment that hetero couples get, but i doubt that's as interesting as being able to overreact to something.

Posting clips from the Twitter handle "bgatesisapsycho" is a surefire sign of someone going a bit too far down the rabbit hole to expect them to do anything actually positive i guess. It's all about the point scoring / culture wars of getting everyone fuming at each other I guess as you allude to. It's terrifying how people can just pick and choose what to be influenced by if it suits rather than being able to analyze something critically.

Maybe I'm way off base, and Marky will take a break from immigrant bashing and provide an eloquent statement explaining how I've misunderstood the context of the clip and his reason for posting it. I am all ears.
I tend not to interact with anyone who is very set in their one-sided beliefs. Open the debate and open your mind, always be willing to accept that you or your sources could be wrong.
Issues are seldom how they are portrayed and almost never as simple as they are portrayed. I like to explore, learn and absorb.

Any clip of Biden would get a trump rally riled up, that's the people that are attracted to that clown.
It's not that different on the other side, that is what depresses me the most, the real issues are being lost.

Maybe I'm being nieve but I struggle with how that is homophobic, it really is a stretch in my opinion.
But then they are all tieing themselves in knots with who is what and who is more this than the other.

Let's be honest Steph the rich have always looked at diseases as being bred by or in the lower classes and their only responsibility is to protect themselves.

The clip really is Clutching, I've seen a whole lot worse go without comment. At the end of the day they are human and when they make an honest gaff, as this obviously is, we shouldn't be hanging them out to dry. And as someone who does not hold politicians in high regard (although I think I hide it well 🙂) I don't think that's so hard to do.

Although the clip can be interpreted negatively it is fairly obvious what the intention was, even if he said it a little clumsily. To attribute a malicious intent is disingenuous, to say the least.

As you mention Star Trek, I have to say I was a little disappointed to see Captain Kirk go up to space with one of those aforementioned billionaire whackos, but at least his experience engendered the epiphany that there is no place like home. Not that he should have needed that experience to understand something that obvious.

Also Trump was just fined €360mil. That's made my night.

It's a lame attack, any sensible person would laugh at both the gaff and the poor attempt of trying to make anything out of it.

Re the super rich.
Bezos, musk, Branson et al, what gets me riled up isn't the rockets and balloons (symbols?), if they want to do that fine.
What gets me is when you watch programs like the post master scandal drama and they couldn't raise the money for a class action, or a recent report about the roof of Jane Austens house needing £200k for repairs.
Or the many cases that get to press of kids needing a life saving treatment.
Yet these guys sit on their hands.
OK they can't solve everything, and it wouldn't need to be a truly altruistic act, would at least take the edge off them ripping us off so that's a bit of a win for them, but it would make up for some of it.
Have your toys and gizmos, your mega yacht and private islands, but remember your responsibilities as well.

It's a lame attack, any sensible person would laugh at both the gaff and the poor attempt of trying to make anything out of it.

Re the super rich.
Bezos, musk, Branson et al, what gets me riled up isn't the rockets and balloons (symbols?), if they want to do that fine.
What gets me is when you watch programs like the post master scandal drama and they couldn't raise the money for a class action, or a recent report about the roof of Jane Austens house needing £200k for repairs.
Or the many cases that get to press of kids needing a life saving treatment.
Yet these guys sit on their hands.
OK they can't solve everything, and it wouldn't need to be a truly altruistic act, would at least take the edge off them ripping us off so that's a bit of a win for them, but it would make up for some of it.
Have your toys and gizmos, your mega yacht and private islands, but remember your responsibilities as well.
The trick is that they get you talking about altruism. Giving some of their vast fortunes away is nothing more than reputation washing. The failure of the system is how they make their money. Their avoidance of tax and the monopolies they control are the real issues.

If any of the left-leaning billionaires (and there are not that many) wanted to change the rules of the game they could, easily, given their vast wealth but they all seem more concerned with ego-stroking vanity projects instead of addressing the fundamental problems. Would they want to change the ground rules? I think not. It has made them rich too.

Last edited:
The problem is Biden can do the job, but people don’t see what goes on behind the scenes, you know, where the actual running of the country takes place. It’s this sideshow stuff that everyone sees that gets people’s attention that will probably be Biden’s undoing. As I’ve said before, I think Trump is going to win and the only hope is that he dies before the election. My honest opinion is any kind of ban against him running again would cause a lot more harm than good with his crazy cult like fans most likely storming the capital or worse. If he dies of natural causes then there can be no talk of conspiracies or the establishment trying to stop his base from voting for their man.

I tend not to interact with anyone who is very set in their one-sided beliefs. Open the debate and open your mind, always be willing to accept that you or your sources could be wrong.
Issues are seldom how they are portrayed and almost never as simple as they are portrayed. I like to explore, learn and absorb.

Any clip of Biden would get a trump rally riled up, that's the people that are attracted to that clown.
It's not that different on the other side, that is what depresses me the most, the real issues are being lost.

Maybe I'm being nieve but I struggle with how that is homophobic, it really is a stretch in my opinion.
But then they are all tieing themselves in knots with who is what and who is more this than the other.

Do you feel like you have much authority to decide what is homophobic and what isn't?

I don't want to be a dingdong but you've got all the info needed to piece it together especially with the added context from Steff. The idea that what Biden says is outrageous is because if you misinterpret it, suggests that it's the fault of a gay bloke that so much taxpayer's money needs to be put in to the fight against aids. It ties on with the notion that its an illness that only affects gay people. Many people still believe it is a punishment sent by GHod to punish sinners but they aren't as open in sharing that view. The types that bitch and moan about not being able to say anything these days often fall in to that category.

Even if someone has made their mind up I do appreciate that people's beliefs and opinions are transient, as long as they have the ability to be open minded. Like you with your "trans people have diplomatic immunity in regards to crime" notion, you seemed very certain of something and then after a little chat you essentially backed down from that absurd idea but that's a whole other rabbit hole.

What's notable is that neither JGL or Marky have come to explain where the outrage lies. It's easy to post misleading clips to get people worked up, but like a daily mail headline, you can usually pick it apart with a bit of rational thought and reason, but you have to want to do it I guess, ignorance is bliss as they say.

Do you feel like you have much authority to decide what is homophobic and what isn't?

I don't want to be a dingdong but you've got all the info needed to piece it together especially with the added context from Steff. The idea that what Biden says is outrageous is because if you misinterpret it, suggests that it's the fault of a gay bloke that so much taxpayer's money needs to be put in to the fight against aids. It ties on with the notion that its an illness that only affects gay people. Many people still believe it is a punishment sent by GHod to punish sinners but they aren't as open in sharing that view. The types that bitch and moan about not being able to say anything these days often fall in to that category.

Even if someone has made their mind up I do appreciate that people's beliefs and opinions are transient, as long as they have the ability to be open minded. Like you with your "trans people have diplomatic immunity in regards to crime" notion, you seemed very certain of something and then after a little chat you essentially backed down from that absurd idea but that's a whole other rabbit hole.

What's notable is that neither JGL or Marky have come to explain where the outrage lies. It's easy to post misleading clips to get people worked up, but like a daily mail headline, you can usually pick it apart with a bit of rational thought and reason, but you have to want to do it I guess, ignorance is bliss as they say.

I don't see how what Biden says can be interpreted as being homophobic, I think we are talking at cross purposes.
The donated money is not being donated because Elton John is gay, it's being donated because Elton John is a campaigner.
There loads of non gay people who have campaigned as well, his sexuallity is coincidence.

The trick is that they get you talking about altruism. Giving some of their vast fortunes away is nothing more than reputation washing. The failure of the system is how they make their money. Their avoidance of tax and the monopolies they control are the real issues.

If any of the left-leaning billionaires (and there are not that many) wanted to change the rules of the game they could, easily, given their vast wealth but they all seem more concerned with ego-stroking vanity projects instead of addressing the fundamental problems. Would they want to change the ground rules? I think not. It has made them rich too.
It is just reputation washing, but I could live with it a little easier if they at least paid some of their dues.

I don't see how what Biden says can be interpreted as being homophobic, I think we are talking at cross purposes.
The donated money is not being donated because Elton John is gay, it's being donated because Elton John is a campaigner.
There loads of non gay people who have campaigned as well, his sexuallity is coincidence.

I mean, I've explained it once I don't know how else to word it. To certain people (mainly bigots), the gays are blamed for aids. So if you say a gay person is responsible for the need to have so much money put in to that cause, that would be furthering the stereotypical view that the gays are responsible for the issue. Do you understand that? And please understand that I'm not in agreement with that stance but I am noting how the quote / clip has been misused. Most sane people aren't outraged at the idea of money being put towards research / awareness/ prevention of diseases / illnesses.

I understand that Elton John is gay mate, but thanks for clarifying that. What you overlooked mentioning is your qualifications/ experience pertaining to how you've been appointed as the judge of what is or isn't homophobic, I'm genuinely curious on that point.

So how does Trump now finally having a date for this first court case impact things? Is he screwed or will this amount to nothing in the big scheme of things?

I mean, I've explained it once I don't know how else to word it. To certain people (mainly bigots), the gays are blamed for aids. So if you say a gay person is responsible for the need to have so much money put in to that cause, that would be furthering the stereotypical view that the gays are responsible for the issue. Do you understand that? And please understand that I'm not in agreement with that stance but I am noting how the quote / clip has been misused. Most sane people aren't outraged at the idea of money being put towards research / awareness/ prevention of diseases / illnesses.

I understand that Elton John is gay mate, but thanks for clarifying that. What you overlooked mentioning is your qualifications/ experience pertaining to how you've been appointed as the judge of what is or isn't homophobic, I'm genuinely curious on that point.

I really don't know where you are going with this, I think you are totally misreading what I'm saying.
Bidens speach is being portrayed as homophobic, it very clearly isn't, twist as much as they want, and they're trying, it is still a very weak argument.
It's desperation.

I really don't know where you are going with this, I think you are totally misreading what I'm saying.
Bidens speach is being portrayed as homophobic, it very clearly isn't, twist as much as they want, and they're trying, it is still a very weak argument.
It's desperation.

You said you couldn't see how it was being (mistakenly) portrayed as homophobic, it's been explained in plain terms by myself (twice now) and Steff once.

Telling me that "The donated money is not being donated because Elton John is gay, it's being donated because Elton John is a campaigner." is just about as unnecessary as telling me that Elton John is gay. These are things you don't have to tell me, I wasn't aware that "straightsplaining"* was even a thing so that's a new one for me! If that's not a pre existing term I deserve credit for that one. Fortunately we both agree that Elton John is not personally responsible for the aids crisis, it's only took 5 back and forths to make that clear. Despite that since the first post was made I've made it abundantly clear in terms of my posts of how the clip has been misused which is why I have been criticizing the poster and JGL in the first place.

What an odd interaction, still not sure if you're trying to play dumb for whatever reason but let's move on.

So, is Trump dead or in jail yet?

*I can explain this one if you like but I'd rather not have to, it's actually very funny if I say so myself. I guess a mere mention of a heteronormative society would have folks feeling very personally called out!

You said you couldn't see how it was being (mistakenly) portrayed as homophobic, it's been explained in plain terms by myself (twice now) and Steff once.

Telling me that "The donated money is not being donated because Elton John is gay, it's being donated because Elton John is a campaigner." is just about as unnecessary as telling me that Elton John is gay. These are things you don't have to tell me, I wasn't aware that "straightsplaining"* was even a thing so that's a new one for me! If that's not a pre existing term I deserve credit for that one. Fortunately we both agree that Elton John is not personally responsible for the aids crisis, it's only took 5 back and forths to make that clear. Despite that since the first post was made I've made it abundantly clear in terms of my posts of how the clip has been misused which is why I have been criticizing the poster and JGL in the first place.

What an odd interaction, still not sure if you're trying to play dumb for whatever reason but let's move on.

So, is Trump dead or in jail yet?

*I can explain this one if you like but I'd rather not have to, it's actually very funny if I say so myself. I guess a mere mention of a heteronormative society would have folks feeling very personally called out!

No please read what I've written, you've actually quoted what I've written and then applied something totally different to it.
Biden speech is NOT HOMOPHOBIC, it is stretch to make out it to be.
The only explaining I am doing is to clear up your misrepresentation of my posts.

No please read what I've written, you've actually quoted what I've written and then applied something totally different to it.
Biden speech is NOT HOMOPHOBIC, it is stretch to make out it to be.
The only explaining I am doing is to clear up your misrepresentation of my posts.

Jesus fudging Christ pal, I understand and agree that it's not homophobic. Stop telling me brick I already know as it's rather annoying, you're wasting your time and mine.

You have said you haven't understood how it could be portrayed as homophobic and I've tried to explain it to you as have others. I agree that it is a stretch to make it out to be, that's been my whole point all along.

I've not misrepresented your posts in anyway, nor suggested anything you've said is offensive. Just a bit dense in the way you can't seem to grasp how the clip is being twisted, I can't help that it seems so it is what it is.

Back