• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

Easiest prediction in the world that Trump would get the nomination. He completely owns the Republican Party at the moment. Will be the same until he eventually dies. Then one of his idiot sons will most likely run.

Looks like Trump will be the Republican candidate by default with everyone dropping out and his only remaining opponent being a female.

DeSantis obviously endorsed him.
I guess killing all those people with Covid wasn't a winning strategy.

No matter how awful this evil weirdo tried to be to win over the maga crowd he doesn't have the cult of personality that Trump has. In fact he has no personality at all, and has no idea at all how to interact with other humans. Hopefully, this is the end of his political career.

No matter how awful this evil weirdo tried to be to win over the maga crowd he doesn't have the cult of personality that Trump has. In fact he has no personality at all, and has no idea at all how to interact with other humans. Hopefully, this is the end of his political career.

Are you claiming he's human?

I don’t have the stats in front of me and maybe my memory isn’t great, but for some reason I always thought Florida did ok during the pandemic. It was New York that had the most deaths from my recollection. Florida also has a lot of old people which would contribute to high number of covid deaths. I’m not trying to stick up for DeSantis btw, but I remember Florida was one of the first states to open things up again.

I don’t have the stats in front of me and maybe my memory isn’t great, but for some reason I always thought Florida did ok during the pandemic. It was New York that had the most deaths from my recollection. Florida also has a lot of old people which would contribute to high number of covid deaths. I’m not trying to stick up for DeSantis btw, but I remember Florida was one of the first states to open things up again.

Not judging DeSantis's performance either as don't really remember but Florida has the advantage over New York, for example, of greater median wealth, lower levels of poverty and lower % of non-white demographic - all of which were key drivers of Covid this side of the Atlantic so not sure political performance was necessarily the key (beyond Trump's tinkle poor leadership and recommendations to drink bleach or take known to be meaningless medication).

DeSantis started out fine but he went from vaccine advocate to skeptic in the middle of the pandemic for political reasons. Opened up everything early under the guise of 'freedom' and so the mortality rate shot up. They were calling him death santis by the end.

A federal appeals court on Tuesday rejected Donald Trump’s broad claim that he is immune from prosecution for alleged criminal acts he committed as president in trying to overturn the 2020 election in a chain of events that led to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

"It would be a striking paradox if the President, who alone is vested with the constitutional duty to 'take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed,' were the sole officer capable of defying those laws with impunity," their decision said.

Biden kept calling Macron Mitterand today/lastnight
The Bloke doesn't know what day it is and he is head of the most powerful nation on the planet

A federal appeals court on Tuesday rejected Donald Trump’s broad claim that he is immune from prosecution for alleged criminal acts he committed as president in trying to overturn the 2020 election in a chain of events that led to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

"It would be a striking paradox if the President, who alone is vested with the constitutional duty to 'take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed,' were the sole officer capable of defying those laws with impunity," their decision said.

I can't see Scotus taking this up. This is about as obvious a ruling as there is.

I can't see Scotus taking this up. This is about as obvious a ruling as there is.
It's the right decision but the SC can still quite easily land either side of this decision, depending on what takes their fancy.

Whilst there's a solid conservative majority, this will be the first real test of whether there's a solid pro-Trump majority on the court.

It's the right decision but the SC can still quite easily land either side of this decision, depending on what takes their fancy.

Whilst there's a solid conservative majority, this will be the first real test of whether there's a solid pro-Trump majority on the court.
There have been previous tests and they have not ruled with him. In fact they ruled against Trump on immunity for civil cases not that long ago. I'm thinking they'll punt on this.

There have been previous tests and they have not ruled with him. In fact they ruled against Trump on immunity for civil cases not that long ago. I'm thinking they'll punt on this.
When they ruled on the civil cases they made clear that this part of the constitution was not what they were ruling on (specifically because Trump was not acting in his role as President when he did that).

They intentionally avoided ruling on this and made it clear they were not doing so. If they were definitely going to rule against Trump here, why not do it then?

When they ruled on the civil cases they made clear that this part of the constitution was not what they were ruling on (specifically because Trump was not acting in his role as President when he did that).

They intentionally avoided ruling on this and made it clear they were not doing so. If they were definitely going to rule against Trump here, why not do it then?
The same argument was made by Trump then as now so I suspect the same outcome. They will deny the stay and it will revert back to the courts ruling. Or they may grant a stay and then deny cert which is probably the next most likely outcome according to some legal interweb folk. Or scotus may take arguments and decide to rule with the courts. Ruling Trump is immune is the least likely outcome though even without that ruling it may delay things past the election which would be bad.

Back