• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

This board was overwhelmingly in favour of him being moved on last January. There have been very few people who have been speaking up for Lennon over the last few years.

Stuff like that happens all the time on here. Everyone wants rid of player X then when we inevitably go on a bad run, 'PLAYER X IS THE ANSWER, OUR MANAGER IS SO STUPID!' Same as the current chat that for some reason Dembele is the answer in midfield.

This board was overwhelmingly in favour of him being moved on last January. There have been very few people who have been speaking up for Lennon over the last few years.

I've always been a Lennon fan, he has to take some of the blame, but really feel we need to rethink if we let him go.

Townsend is not working, and in general our right side is a massive problem right now, whatever we do next season is a risk, Lennon could mitigate some of that risk and given the right push (his best days have been when he has competition for his spot), could really help the side with pace/width/workrate

Well don't count me as one who wanted Lennon shipped out. He suffered from injuries, a lack of consistent game time and a succession managers who didn't know how best to utilise him in our system. He was always a better bet than Townsend, who offers the team NOTHING!

Speak for yourself....

I don't think anyone can argue that Lennon hasn't fulfilled the massive potential he had, and perhaps it's down to a lack of commitment bad/attitude as well as injuries and weak muscles. I will be upset if he goes as he's given me so many great memories over the years, but if it's best for the club then perhaps it's time.

HOWEVER. Given the number of games we have to play this season, competing in three competitions, if we are to let Lennon go without a replacement brought in then that's an absolute fudgeing fallacy of a decision. He hasn't hit top form for a while, but I've never seen Chadli, Townsend or Lamela look as good as Lennon in top form in English football. I can't recall any performances from Lennon I'd have given a 3 out of 10 or less, whereas I certainly have with each of the other three. He's a good option to have, and it's not like we're brimming with talented wingers, so even if he fudgeed Poch's daughter or something I still can't get my head around letting him go if nobody is coming in...

Absolutely no idea why we've let him go. Three competitions to play in, only three wingers in the squad. Let's just do a quick comparison:

Chelsea - Hazard, Willian, Cuadrado
Emirates Marketing Project - Nasri, Silva, Navas, Milner
Man Utd - Di Maria, Januzuaj, Valencia, Young, Mata
Arsenal - Sanchez, Walcott, Cazorla, Wellbeck
Southampton - Tadic, Mane, Elia (and Rodriguez if he ever gets fit)
Liverpool - Sterling, Lallana, Markovic

Tottenham - Chadli, Lamela, Townsend.

SPOT THE fudgeING DIFFERENCE!

Utter madness to weaken a position in the squad we're already very weak in. Lennon was still arguably our best winger and we've loaned him to a rival without getting in a replacement. I don't know what's happened off the pitch but it must be particularly bad to want to get rid of him like this.

Kaboul is now the only member of the 2008 cup winning side left. Great.

I wasn't necessarily adverse to letting him go if we got a replacement brought in (eg - Mirallas as a swap deal). But to let him go on loan just like that? Crazy. Not only does he offer a different tactical opton, but he's still probably our best winger! Really could have done with him in the last few games...

Speak for yourself....

I wasn't necessarily adverse to letting him go if we got a replacement brought in (eg - Mirallas as a swap deal). But to let him go on loan just like that? Crazy. Not only does he offer a different tactical opton, but he's still probably our best winger! Really could have done with him in the last few games...

I agree that Lennon's pace has been missed recently, but let's look at this another way:
Poch strictly plays inverted wingers, and Lennon has never been capable on the left. He is not in Poch's plans.

What sense does it make to confine one of our most loyal players to the bench/stands for another 6 months, declining in value the entire time?

Instead, rewarding a decade of loyalty by giving him desired and deserved playing time was the smart choice.

And it has worked. He's got lots of game time and a couple of goals, boosting his exposure and transfer value. Let's face it, he wasn't going to get us into the CL on his own.

Now all parties stand to benefit.

P.S. On the replacement comment - I expect that would have been a deal-breaker for Everton, and I'd say we actually benefit more from loaning Lennon with no replacement than sacking the whole deal off because they wouldn't give us Mirallas.

Well don't count me as one who wanted Lennon shipped out. He suffered from injuries, a lack of consistent game time and a succession managers who didn't know how best to utilise him in our system. He was always a better bet than Townsend, who offers the team NOTHING!

Could not agree more, Lennon is far better for us then Townsend and we are a better team with him in it.

Could not agree more, Lennon is far better for us then Townsend and we are a better team with him in it.

Not in a Pochettino team though. Clearly, we are pushing the team in a direction to which Lennon is not, and never will be, suited to.

Under a different manager I would certainly agree with you, but unless we are an even bigger circus than I imagine, we won't be changing manager any time soon.

Not in a Pochettino team though. Clearly, we are pushing the team in a direction to which Lennon is not, and never will be, suited to.

Under a different manager I would certainly agree with you, but unless we are an even bigger circus than I imagine, we won't be changing manager any time soon.

I hope that you are right about that, however over the last few weeks on here and at the games the cry has gone up " he does not know what he is doing". We never learn that replacing managers every couple of years does not work. As for Lennon if he does not fit into the team then sure as brick Townsend does not.

I hope that you are right about that, however over the last few weeks on here and at the games the cry has gone up " he does not know what he is doing". We never learn that replacing managers every couple of years does not work. As for Lennon if he does not fit into the team then sure as crud Townsend does not.

Thankfully despite his hiring and firing record, I don't think even Levy is as trigger-happy as our most vocal fans.

People really want Poch out after he has developed a very solid base squad centred around academy grads? Bloody hell...

A couple of years ago Townsend developed a great deal in the space of a few months, his decision making improved a lot and he looked like he might be the real deal.

Since then, he's stagnated. He still is only 23 and has a lot of talent; moreover, he is a Poch player, comfortable with cutting in and getting involved. An extended run of games next season in a stronger side and who knows what it could do for his game.

Not me. And it seems many other people. And look, lennon looks grest and we have to put up with the pitiful townsend. Great decision.

I really don't understand how people think Townsend/Lamela fit Poch's system yet Lennon absolutely doesn't? is it purely the inverted winger thing?

Lennon works harder, is better defensively than both, he has played on the left (used to switch with Bale), has played in preseason through middle, seems a lot less stuck to byline when playing for Everton.

I get if Poch has an issue with Lennon personally/application, but to say he's unsuited, not sure I buy that.

I really don't understand how people think Townsend/Lamela fit Poch's system yet Lennon absolutely doesn't? is it purely the inverted winger thing?

Lennon works harder, is better defensively than both, he has played on the left (used to switch with Bale), has played in preseason through middle, seems a lot less stuck to byline when playing for Everton.

I get if Poch has an issue with Lennon personally/application, but to say he's unsuited, not sure I buy that.
Hard work and defensive ability do not translate to chance and goal creation. I'm not saying Lamela or Townsend are necessarily the answer, but as much as I love Lennon, if he is going to be played on the left I think it is best for all parties involved that he moves on.

Personally I would like to see a return to 'the wonky' with Lennon stretching the play on the right/Townsend on the left and someone cutting in from the other wing. We look far too narrow most of the time, frequently run out of ideas and never look like going on the outside unless Rose or Walker are bombing on. Even then, quite regularly the fullbacks move up way too early in the move and we stagnate.

Under Pochettino I really can't see us deploying anyone in something resembling the 'classic winger' role with any regularity.

Im as big a fan of Lennon as anyone but i think some of you are in danger of rewriting history a little here - last couple of seasons he has been average at best for us, and i include his defensive contribution in that. Milo is right that the majority of posters were calling for him to be sold, i certainly remember being in the minority when talking him up

Im as big a fan of Lennon as anyone but i think some of you are in danger of rewriting history a little here - last couple of seasons he has been average at best for us, and i include his defensive contribution in that. Milo is right that the majority of posters were calling for him to be sold, i certainly remember being in the minority when talking him up

Don't think anyone is trying to rewrite history, yes he hasn't been at his best for a couple of seasons, but really neither has the team/club. And yes, many have been happy to see him go for some time.

That said, the best Spur's teams of the last 7-9 years have all included Lennon, and typically a contributing Lennon.

I've said it before, Lennon is a difficult player to judge because he needs the team to get the ball to him early, so he can isolate defenders, use his pace. When the midfield takes too long with the ball (almost all of AVB's era, and Poch's prior to getting the Mason/Betaleb teaming), he becomes far less effective.

Will be interesting in summer ...

I am not trying to rewrite history at all, Lennon is missed if only because the options in place of him are so poor ( Townsend especially). Lennon has always been one of our better players and we look better when he is playing, he has been in and out of the side for the last couple of seasons and he needs a run of games to be at his best. He is still only 27 and has a lot to offer ( imo).

He is the best wide attacking midfielder that we have at the club (or I guess I should say don't have at the club) Better in both an attacking and defensive sense than Townsend and also (especially) Lamela. It is a shame that his face doesn't seem to fit at Spurs.

won a penalty and was involved in the start of the play that lead to Everton's goal yesterday.

once again, saw a bit of time in the middle ..

Yep, still tackling back (to good effect). fouled for the penalty (that someone else failed with), good passes in from the line, available for passes and runs.

He may not be the man many here want, but he is doing for Everton what we would like someone to do for us. Unfortunately we make that impossible with inverted wingers

Back