• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

25 player premier league squad

As well as BAE and Carroll, we'd also still need to loose Archer, Veljkovic, Ceballos, Khumalo and Obika; plus make room for probably 2-3 more incomings.

I actually like what I've seen of Veljkovic. Sure, that's hardly a lot of game time and almost all of it has been in friendlies, but I just get a feeling there's a potentially very good player there. Call it a hunch, no more. So I'd be happy for him to get a season on loan at a team in the bottom half of the premier league / top half of the championship; but I think we'd be mad to sell him at this stage. He might not become the player I think I see in him, but he's worth keeping around for a while just in case he does. Personally I'd even be happy with him getting some game time for us this season (against lesser opposition obviously) as a back-up CB... though I accept that's a minority view.

I actually like what I've seen of Veljkovic. Sure, that's hardly a lot of game time and almost all of it has been in friendlies, but I just get a feeling there's a potentially very good player there. Call it a hunch, no more. So I'd be happy for him to get a season on loan at a team in the bottom half of the premier league / top half of the championship; but I think we'd be mad to sell him at this stage. He might not become the player I think I see in him, but he's worth keeping around for a while just in case he does. Personally I'd even be happy with him getting some game time for us this season (against lesser opposition obviously) as a back-up CB... though I accept that's a minority view.

Veljkovic has seemingly been consistently ahead of his age groups in the youth and reserve teams. Seems highly rated, a loan deal at this point could be a very good idea. Not sure he's quite ready physically to the Championship though, will be interesting to see what happens.

Assou-Ekotto and Khumalo will go (has Khumalo been released already?).

I think Dawson and Kaboul will both go.

I would have thought Mason would go and Carroll might have been given a chance in the first team, but this pre-season, Carroll doesn't look ready, whereas Mason took to Pochettino's system like a duck to water.

Similarly Capoue seemed to be the first of the midfielders to go prior to this summer, but he's looked a beast in the last few friendlies and again, looks very good in Pochettino's system.

I think one of Sandro or Dembele might go and with Sandro's contract running down and his injury record i think it might be him that goes.

I think Cebellos will also go on loan again and will in all likelihood be sold off next summer.

The OP lists 29 players aged 21+. Deducting Falque but including Obika and Khumalo makes 30. Who are the other 3 over-age players?

I'm sure I counted right last night, but now I get 36 (31 when minus the 4 underage and Archer now loaned)

Lloris
Vorm
Friedel
Archer - loan

Walker
Naughton
Fredericks

(Davies)
Fryers
Rose
BAE

Verts
Chriches
Dawson
Kaboul
(Dier)
Veljkovic
Khumalo

Sandro
Capoue
Paulinho
Dembele
(Bentaleb)
Eriksen
Holtby
Mason
Carroll

Lamela
Chadli
Lennon
Townsend
Ceballos

Soldado
Ade
(Kane)
Obika

I'm sure I counted right last night, but now I get 36 (31 when minus the 4 underage and Archer now loaned)

Lloris
Vorm
Friedel
Archer - loan

Walker
Naughton
Fredericks

(Davies)
Fryers
Rose
BAE

Verts
Chriches
Dawson
Kaboul
(Dier)
Veljkovic
Khumalo

Sandro
Capoue
Paulinho
Dembele
(Bentaleb)
Eriksen
Holtby
Mason
Carroll

Lamela
Chadli
Lennon
Townsend
Ceballos

Soldado
Ade
(Kane)
Obika

Well Obika and Khumalo certainly wont be here come the end of August so that two off the list plus we dont need 4 LBs (esp as Verts can cover there) so assume we sell BAE.

Veljkovic wont get much game time now that Dier has come in so better loaned out than four off the list. Start the season with Verts, MM, YK, Vlad (or replacement) plus Dier at CB

Similarly, Fredericks wont play much unless Naughton goes so loan him out; we'd have a emergency right back cover via MM or YK.

Lastly there's no way we need all those CMs and would expect Mason or Carroll to be loaned out so thats 6 off the list

Schneiderlin would replace one of Sandro or Capoue and if we do get someone like Memphis Depay then someone like Chadli or Lennon will be sold

Well Obika and Khumalo certainly wont be here come the end of August so that two off the list plus we dont need 4 LBs (esp as Verts can cover there) so assume we sell BAE.

Veljkovic wont get much game time now that Dier has come in so better loaned out than four off the list. Start the season with Verts, MM, YK, Vlad (or replacement) plus Dier at CB

Similarly, Fredericks wont play much unless Naughton goes so loan him out; we'd have a emergency right back cover via MM or YK.

Lastly there's no way we need all those CMs and would expect Mason or Carroll to be loaned out so thats 6 off the list

Schneiderlin would replace one of Sandro or Capoue and if we do get someone like Memphis Depay then someone like Chadli or Lennon will be sold

Yeah - it's not that I can't see what needs to/will happen.

My concern is that we need to sell or loan 9 (or 11 if there are still two more incomings) players in the next 3.5 weeks. I appreciate Poch wanted to evaluate everyone, but that's an awful lot of work left to do.

Veljkovic is only 18, so we've currently got 5 more than the 25. Doesn't the Football League have a loan window that opens in September? If that's the case some of the fringe players will go out on loan then.

Veljkovic is only 18, so we've currently got 5 more than the 25. Doesn't the Football League have a loan window that opens in September? If that's the case some of the fringe players will go out on loan then.

Wow - didn't know that at all. That's very impressive. He can play with Ehiogu's team for 3 more years then before we need to worry about getting him in the 25.

Looking at GB's list (thanks GB for doing that), and Poch's comments about only wanting a maximum of 25 to pick from… what's the consensus on who stays and who goes?

imo the guys in red (plus one of Chadli/Soldado/Sandro) will be gone either by loan or sold on by the end of the window. Should leave us with 24 and (hopefully [-o< ) the addition of Mustachio.

Lloris
Vorm
Friedel
Archer - loan

Walker
Naughton
Fredericks

(Davies)
Fryers
Rose
BAE

Verts
Chriches
Dawson
Kaboul
(Dier)
Veljkovic
Khumalo

Sandro
Capoue
Paulinho
Dembele
(Bentaleb)
Eriksen
Holtby
Mason
Carroll

Lamela
Chadli
Lennon
Townsend
Ceballos

Soldado
Ade
(Kane)
Obika

based on poch's words i think there's going to be a lot of transfer activity to trim the squad in the next 5 weeks.

Looking at GB's list (thanks GB for doing that), and Poch's comments about only wanting a maximum of 25 to pick from… what's the consensus on who stays and who goes?

imo the guys in red (plus one of Chadli/Soldado/Sandro) will be gone either by loan or sold on by the end of the window. Should leave us with 24 and (hopefully [-o< ) the addition of Mustachio.

Naughton is in red, so how does that work? Poch has said that Walker is not fit enough to start the season and with Yedlin not here till January so who starts the season as our right back in your opinion?

Also if you get rid of Sandro and Capoue is out with a knock, as he was on Saturday, who is your defensive midfielder? Especially against the top teams?

Last edited:
Yeah - it's not that I can't see what needs to/will happen.

My concern is that we need to sell or loan 9 (or 11 if there are still two more incomings) players in the next 3.5 weeks. I appreciate Poch wanted to evaluate everyone, but that's an awful lot of work left to do.

hopefully Arry buys or loans 3 or 4 as he has in the past

We have 29 players who need to be registered if I have counted correctly. Out of those BAE is already not even training with us. And players like Fredericks, Obika, Mason, Ceballos have never played in the league for us. Carroll is also unlikely to be involved much. Ship those out on loan, and we don't actually need to get rid of established first team players to bring a couple of new faces in.

Naughton is in red, so how does that work? Poch has said that Walker is not fit enough to start the season and with Yedlin not here till January so who starts the season as our right back in your opinion?

Also if you get rid of Sandro and Capoue is out with a knock, as he was on Saturday, who is your defensive midfielder? Especially against the top teams?

I'm considering Naughton to start our first, but honestly I could see him out the door either on loan or sold by the end of the window. I'm expecting/hoping Yedlin gets brought in this window, but would be fine if it wasn't until January. Part of me would honestly rather go with Fredricks than Naughton as a backup RB behind Walker. Naughton has proved he is a huge liability against the top sides. Atleast with Fredricks, we'd be giving a solid youngster good minutes while raising his sell on value in the process (surely this plays in Levy's mind when making decisions). Correct me if I'm wrong as well, but I think Chiriches can fill in at RB also? We might not be as deprived of options as it seems..

As for Sandro and Capoue leaving, I was implying that only one of them will be sold by the end of the window, not both. I think you're right it would make no sense to sell them both on. They're both great options to have and I don't really want either of them to go. Someone like Pauls though… I wouldn't be tooo upset if he was sold for anywhere close to what we got him for.

jeez we have too many players, and all much of a muchness

Back