• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are they worth?

SpurMeUp

Jimmy Cantrell
It's been an amazing year for Spurs 'own brand' players. It is refreshing to have so many home grown players coming through. Thankfully the media haven't started to hype them up yet, maybe with the exception of Kane. Poch has built on Sherwood's start last season, and to be fair Levy's work investing in youth, coaches and facilities.

Out of curiosity what are Rose, Bentaleb, Mason, Kane, Townsend each worth? What amount would you buy them for, and why? The reason this isn't in the transfer thread is that no one is saying sell them (well most aren't), it is just interesting to measure their development in terms of what people might pay for them and why. Plus what do they need to do to become a say £20 million player?

Hopefully we can move to a model where promising youth players make up our squad and transfers become focused on top quality players to address specific first team needs. Easier said than done. But if you have 5 or more youth players in the squad that must free up many millions in wages, which could be channeled into attracting elite players to compliment the inexperienced developing talents.

I've valued based on what I think other clubs would bid for, its tough to say but Id personally say they are all between the £10-£15m mark at the moment because they are still young and not played at this level for 2 full seasons yet, except for Rose so can't really say for definite how good they will/could end up being:

Rose £10m - He's English, still only 24 and a good PL standard attacking full back with opportunity to further improve.

Bentaleb £12m - Out of everyone he's the one for me that flatters to deceive the most. He does some excellent things but at the same time can be very sloppy, but have to take into consideration his age. He could easily become a £20-£30m player but need to seem him in a couple of years to see how he's developed before can say for certain.

Mason £12m - Older than Bentaleb, keeps it simple but effective. Needs to dominate games and become more consistent before he's considered a £20m prospect, but this is his first season of coming to terms with consistent PL football so could still easily happen.

Kane £16m - This is his real breakthrough season and needs to still prove this current form isn't just a flash in the pan. But Redknapp always spoke about this guy's attitude, and I think he is too hungry, too much of a hardworker and also too talented not to become a £20m+ talent. In fact looking at what clubs pay for young English players these days I wouldn't be surprised if someone would pay that for him now.

Townsend £12m - should have progressed more than he has done. But traditional wingers are a special commodity these days, and his pace and direct approach should ensure someone would take a punt at minimum of £12m. I think in a season or so under Poch he will be worth more than that....

I've valued based on what I think other clubs would bid for, its tough to say but Id personally say they are all between the £10-£15m mark at the moment because they are still young and not played at this level for 2 full seasons yet, except for Rose so can't really say for definite how good they will/could end up being:

Rose £10m - He's English, still only 24 and a good PL standard attacking full back with opportunity to further improve.

Bentaleb £12m - Out of everyone he's the one for me that flatters to deceive the most. He does some excellent things but at the same time can be very sloppy, but have to take into consideration his age. He could easily become a £20-£30m player but need to seem him in a couple of years to see how he's developed before can say for certain.

Mason £12m - Older than Bentaleb, keeps it simple but effective. Needs to dominate games and become more consistent before he's considered a £20m prospect, but this is his first season of coming to terms with consistent PL football so could still easily happen.

Kane £16m - This is his real breakthrough season and needs to still prove this current form isn't just a flash in the pan. But Redknapp always spoke about this guy's attitude, and I think he is too hungry, too much of a hardworker and also too talented not to become a £20m+ talent. In fact looking at what clubs pay for young English players these days I wouldn't be surprised if someone would pay that for him now.

Townsend £12m - should have progressed more than he has done. But traditional wingers are a special commodity these days, and his pace and direct approach should ensure someone would take a punt at minimum of £12m. I think in a season or so under Poch he will be worth more than that....

Mason and Townsend less, Kane more I think. I wouldn't be swapping him for £28m Lukaku.

Mason and Townsend less, Kane more I think. I wouldn't be swapping him for £28m Lukaku.

Maybe you're right, its tough to say in today's market but for the 5 I'd say an average of around £12m would be about right?

Right now Id rather Kane over Lukaku but its Kanes' breakthrough season for regular action, Lukaku is more of a known quantity and its much harder maintaining performance when you're proven. I certainly wouldnt argue with putting Kane in the £20m range though....

What other teams would pay is significantly less than we'd sell for at the moment i think - with exception of Townsend who i think will be sold come the summer for around 15m or so

Rose - £8m

Bentaleb - £20m

Mason - £14m

Kane - £25m (or twice whatever Berahino is valued at)

Townsend - £14m

Rose/Bentaleb/Mason are probably at the same point of Livermore/Hudd right now, with better upside potentially.

So I would say 5-8M a piece, if any of them finished the 2nd half of season strongly, price would go up.
Townsend is a more attacking player with pace, likely 8-12M
Kane is a young English striker with 15 goals in half a season 12-15M, again if he finished the season with 20+ price would go up.

When you look at those player plus Livermore/Caulker/Carroll, you realize our Academy is doing extremely well, and paying for itself.

They're worth more to us than any other club for a start.
The likes of Mason and Kane will work their asses off for us more than they would for anyone else.

In a world where we got 8m for Caulker, 8m for Livermore , 10m for a crocked Sandro and 4m for Falqué:

Rose is worth 8m
Townsend 12m (huge reputation in the media)
Bentaleb 15m
Mason 9m
Kane 20m

The question was, what are they worth? Not what will they be sold for? That is what they are worth. I reckon I have slightly inflated Bentalab's value and been exceedingly generous for Townsend's.

I have read this a few times and can't figure out what you are saying. Surely academy players have no real book value (if that is what you meant) and the only measure is what they might be sold for.

Explain to me how you value Townsend at 2 million, for example?

Edit. OK I think I get your gist. This is all you (as DL) would pay for these players. Is that it?

Last edited:
I have read this a few times and can't figure out what you are saying. Surely academy players have no real book value (if that is what you meant) and the only measure is what they might be sold for.

Explain to me how you value Townsend at 2 million, for example?

For 2 million you can go shopping in the lower leagues or abroad and get just as good value as 12 million on Townsend.

Mason and Bentaleb wouldn't go for anything more than £10/12m. Anything else is pie in the sky thinking.

Kane could go for anything between £15-20m

Mason and Bentaleb wouldn't go for anything more than £10/12m. Anything else is pie in the sky thinking.

Kane could go for anything between £15-20m

The question was what are they worth - that can be interpreted as either from a buying clubs perspective or from the selling clubs perspective.

Would you sell Mason or Bentaleb for 10/12m? If not then that'd suggest that they are worth more than that to you...

The question was what are they worth - that can be interpreted as either from a buying clubs perspective or from the selling clubs perspective.

Would you sell Mason or Bentaleb for 10/12m? If not then that'd suggest that they are worth more than that to you...

Or as, how much would you want us to sign them for if they were not at the club ;)

I think Modric THFC ballparks the "what could we get for them" pretty well.

Right now I don't think there's any fee a club would reasonably pay for Kane or Bentaleb that would make me want us to sell them.

Or as, how much would you want us to sign them for if they were not at the club ;)

Right now I don't think there's any fee a club would reasonably pay for Kane or Bentaleb that would make me want us to sell them.

This is why most players in this country are over priced, EPL clubs as a general rule are financially secure and dont need to sell so to tempt clubs into selling you have to pay over the odds....

Which was the angle JtG took, i was offering the alternative... ;)

I made a similar point earlier on in the thread, what we'd sell for is higher than what teams would buy for - although i imagine with Townsend there are probably a couple of clubs who would meet our valuation of him atm thanks to his england goals and reputation in the media

Back