• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I agree, although there is a need to be wary of cause/causality there.

It might be that we are the most likely of the top teams to concede early and therefore have more opportunity.

Of course but i wouldnt expect a side with poor in game managment to be so high on such a list - points won from leading positions we are also high, which points to us being able to see games out - Liverpool have lost over 40 points from leading positions whilst Klopp has been there, for example, so maybe acting like a cheerleader on the side of the pitch aint all it's cracked up to be

Last edited:
I cant think of anyone Id swap Poch for.

Thats not to say I think he can do no wrong, but that is to say I think the good he does far far out weighs the things I think he could do better.

I go for Ancelotti
Juventus[38]
Milan[180]
Chelsea[180]
Paris Saint-Germain[180]
Real Madrid[180]
Bayern Munich
A winner.... won a title in each country he's managed,quality by a country mile...and for some reason available,be interesting where he goes next.

To a point i agree,but Poch record in cup competitions and performances is a tad worrying,our europa record is pants,losing to Ghent last year was poor,who were mid table in the Belguim premiership,(i'll excuse our champs league record due to Wembley) but losing to west ham after being 2 up this year,last year our struggle against Wycombe being 2 down,in the league our record against the top 4 is alarming poor especially away.

He be here next year.....if he wants to that is.

Im a big fan of Ancellotti, but I still wouldnt trade Poch for him.

Sadly I dont think we have the purchasing power for Ancellotti or the likes of Simeone.

If his nibs buggers off to Real then Levy will have a plan I'd bet on it.
Poch is nowhere near ready for Real in my mind but I would not think that will stop him for going (although I did text him;)). Perez should stick to someone who knows the club.

I maintain that Poch and Madrid just isnt a match, and that he would be mad to go for it.

That said, if he did, it wouldnt be a shock would it?

Ancellotti is an excellent manager, and, IMO, not a cheque book type per se. I think he is a coach primarily and works with what he has. Were Poch to leave I would exepct us to at least pique his interest.

Though I do wonder if he would be the sort of coach Levy would want, rather than "another Poch". As in, giving someone who will really commit to the opportunity a chance, who fits the ethos of the club.

Last edited:
Tuchel is a good shout. I liked what I saw of Silva at Hull/Watford. Though I dont claim to follow managers around the world, I would expect Levy to have an eye on similar candidates to Pochettino.

Carvahal is ok, something went sour at Wednesday so Im not entirely convinced on him. His performance at Wednesday ultimately disappointed despite having easily one of the best squads.

From what I've read Ancelotti is a very hands-off coach. The Bayern players were perplexed at the lack of tactical preparation. I believe this is the major reason he was sacked this season. He's good at managing personalities/egos but he doesn't get involved in intricate details/preparation. The exact opposite of what we need to continue to punch above our weight.

From what I've read Ancelotti is a very hands-off coach. The Bayern players were perplexed at the lack of tactical preparation. I believe this is the major reason he was sacked this season. He's good at managing personalities/egos but he doesn't get involved in intricate details/preparation. The exact opposite of what we need to continue to punch above our weight.

Not necessarily. Sounds a lot like SAF to me, and I dont think anybody feels he was lacking.

SAF was most often somewhat removed from the day to day, relying on top coaches to do it for him. It gave him a good perspective and allowed him to focus on things where he could add most value.

Not necessarily. Sounds a lot like SAF to me, and I dont think anybody feels he was lacking.

SAF was most often somewhat removed from the day to day, relying on top coaches to do it for him. It gave him a good perspective and allowed him to focus on things where he could add most value.

Well that's true about SAF but I would guess that was a gradual process over the years. I think he was more "hands-on" in the first 10 years at OT. The likes of Bayern/Man Utd are at the end game of building super clubs. The underlying foundations/ethos have been built and prepared (either by SAF for Utd or numerous from Bayern - probably the higher board level).

I still think we're in that building phase (to quote Poch). Therefore we need someone who is hands-on, focused and ensuring we keep to the ethos we're developing.

Its an odd one with Ancelotti/Bayern. He's had success wherever he went but it appears that the wheels came off early season this year at Bayern. Perhaps the underlying facets that were needed to build a successful team became unstuck and he has nothing to fall back on? Missing Paul Clement as his trusted no 2? They seemed to get into a negative results phase and he couldn't arrest the slide. When the board intervene you know something is seriously wrong - and I believe they intervened because the players felt the club was ambling along rudderless.
The same thing could be happening with Zidane/Real right now.

Brian Kidd was his main man in the early days (youth team coach from '88, when Knox moved on became assistant manager in '91), the McClaren, Queroz...

I think you might be surprised by how hands off he was.

Kidd pre-dates their success. 92 they won the cup, 93 the premier league.

I dont care who is hands on and who isnt, so long as the right people do the right jobs and follow the right plan.

The thought of Saturdays start against Man U is frightening

We need Mr Motivator
slide-page-08.jpg

A quick look on google says we won the second most points from losing positions in the 16/17 season - would suggest our in game managment is better than it looks from the armchair

And contributions from our substitutes would suggest otherwise.

I probably wasn't that clear in my point but I never mentioned changing tactic, subs, etc. Obviously you can change the game in many ways, but in my own experience half-time is the first time where you can get any sort of motivational message across. When the match is already on ranting and shouting does little to change things. One or two players might hear it but nothing more than that. My point was that if the team start slowly it this is a symptom of what happened in the lead up, the mindset instilled in the dressing room before hand.

Well I have played under both sorts of coaches. It is not really a comparison between those that say nothing and sit there glumly on the sidelines with those that are up encouraging, cajoling, instructing and helping their players.

As I said previously, look at all the current crop of winning managers. I simply dont agree with you that there is nothing a coach can do until half-time at the earliest.

Back