• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Yves Bissouma

I think that until the injuries clear up Ange kind of has to trust him. When he isn't making poor decisions he is one of the better options for that position.

He's been very poor lately but a lot of that is in reaction to the expectations he set with his performances to start the season. I don't see ill-discipline as a huge issue with him. It was a poor tackle but the ball was there and he didn't get the opportunity to slow it down like everyone else. The red card for diving was just idiotic, but the chances of him ever doing that again in his whole career are minimal.

Still think he's a very important player for us, just hope Ange can get him back to the levels he showed until October once he's back from AFCON.

Not too sure about that TBH. It was the same thing with his last red card, a momentary flash of silliness. There have also been some poor passes at key moments (which in fairness is not unique to him). He really needs to improve his focus and in-ganme intelligence, especially when he is the main man in midfield. This was a match where he needed to lead. His best games for us have come when Maddison and Sarr have been alongside him, which suggests to me he is not quite a leader in the most literal sense.

I do wonder if something is going on with him which we don't know about?

Silly tackle and certainly a red for me, but I don’t think it was malicious, he hasn’t gone to do him, just mis-timed it.

In a bit of a pickle again now though having to play players not suited to the role.

Not too sure about that TBH. It was the same thing with his last red card, a momentary flash of silliness. There have also been some poor passes at key moments (which in fairness is not unique to him). He really needs to improve his focus and in-ganme intelligence, especially when he is the main man in midfield. This was a match where he needed to lead. His best games for us have come when Maddison and Sarr have been alongside him, which suggests to me he is not quite a leader in the most literal sense.

I do wonder if something is going on with him which we don't know about?
Not sure if you meant to quote me?

Bullschit. Stop making excuses for his serial offences. He hasn't piled up yellow cards by being unlucky. He's a donkey. And now he's over the edge.
My response was to speculation he might've done it deliberately to get a few more weeks off before the ACN. I don't claim he's been unlucky. Like I wrote; stupid, clumsy tackle.

It was a poor tackle in a game of petty fouls and clumsy challenges, it's not an excuse but ref. set the tone, he let too much go early in the game and let crowd influence him. Bissouma misses Maddison who gives him a get out ball.

I'm sorry, but it just isn't "a poor tackle". It's not even a tackle. It's two players going for a bouncing ball, and one arriving 1/10 of a second late. But there is no power, it's a bent, dangling leg, not going studs first. He goes with the inside of the boot, and just hits the opponent slightly.
It's the typical 'slow mo' red. Looks a lot worse in slow mo and freeze frame without context, but in normal speed, there's not much in it.
It's an extremely harsh red card, and pretty much every pundit and panel I've seen, have been of the same opinion, among several, Laurent Blanc and Leboef who know a thing or two about football and defending.

Thought he was unfortunate. Looks bad in slo-mo, but from memory it looked to me like he was going for the ball and their player puts his ankle in the way? We need to support him, not abuse him.

Thought he was unfortunate. Looks bad in slo-mo, but from memory it looked to me like he was going for the ball and their player puts his ankle in the way? We need to support him, not abuse him.
It wasnt even a foul in real time, let alone a card. Just more VAR trying to invent a relevance for itself.

There's no way slo-mo replays of collisions should be allowed to be viewed, they are completely artificial

He's been very poor lately but a lot of that is in reaction to the expectations he set with his performances to start the season. I don't see ill-discipline as a huge issue with him. It was a poor tackle but the ball was there and he didn't get the opportunity to slow it down like everyone else. The red card for diving was just idiotic, but the chances of him ever doing that again in his whole career are minimal.

Still think he's a very important player for us, just hope Ange can get him back to the levels he showed until October once he's back from AFCON.
He's got 38 yellow and 3 red cards in 150 PL games, that's not great.

In his defence, if we had the squad, it wouldn't be as much of an issue as it is now.

We might not be selling but I have been saying for quite a while that Bentancur comes straight in and takes Bissoumas place. I think he's light years ahead.
Better tackler , reads the game better , can keep possession just as good as Bissouma, better in the air , shootings better , passings better , off the ball defensive work is better , scores and assists , Bissouma doesn't. And doesn't pick up unnecessary, stupid red cards. Oh and his workrate is better.
Bentancur , Maddison and probably Sarr when everybody is fit.

The "when everybody is fit" is an interesting thought experiment but it's rather rare to have all players available. I do agree that in a hypothetical world of no injuries/ suspensions that the trio of Sarr Maddison Maddison looks the strongest against most opposition. It is however a hypothetical day dream given the way we pick up cards and fitness issues.

The reality is with Bentancur is that has missed enough football to be labelled injury prone, maybe some would say that's harsh because he's had a couple of specific bad injuries but whether it's through bad luck or a horror challenge like Cash he'll soon have been not available more than he's been available. The polar opposite to someone like PEH who is just there to play week in week out whatever the situation.

I just think maybe talk of selling Bissouma seems a bit knee jerk, even if last night wasn't the first time he's roostered things up. Obviously the main thing is how Ange sees it, but the dude has let the team down multiple times and we're just around half way through the season....The silver lining is we'll get an early look to see if Skipp can step up in this system or if he is just filler and by having Kulu in there we need one less out and out midfielder so having Johnson back and fit would be a boost for the festive period.

The "when everybody is fit" is an interesting thought experiment but it's rather rare to have all players available. I do agree that in a hypothetical world of no injuries/ suspensions that the trio of Sarr Maddison Maddison looks the strongest against most opposition. It is however a hypothetical day dream given the way we pick up cards and fitness issues.

The reality is with Bentancur is that has missed enough football to be labelled injury prone, maybe some would say that's harsh because he's had a couple of specific bad injuries but whether it's through bad luck or a horror challenge like Cash he'll soon have been not available more than he's been available. The polar opposite to someone like PEH who is just there to play week in week out whatever the situation.

I just think maybe talk of selling Bissouma seems a bit knee jerk, even if last night wasn't the first time he's roostered things up. Obviously the main thing is how Ange sees it, but the dude has let the team down multiple times and we're just around half way through the season....The silver lining is we'll get an early look to see if Skipp can step up in this system or if he is just filler and by having Kulu in there we need one less out and out midfielder so having Johnson back and fit would be a boost for the festive period.
Injury prone though is players getting injured through physical weakness (lamela, lo celso) in training etc…
Both injuries to Bentacur were from contact on the pitch. That happens in normal play.
People used to say Kane had weak ankles. His ankles are normal but if it’s slide tackles taking you out you can be as strong as you like… it may still injure you (one was even his won tackling)
But I agree that you never have a fully fit squad regularly if at all
That’s what we need a squad

Last edited:
Back