• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Yevhen Konoplyanka

It could well be that Baldini and Levy prefer Kono and Poch prefers Lavezzi and Mitchell sees Ayew as ideal. Who wins

or could be the other round or they could all have different targets to the ones mentioned in the paper. Who knows

or could be the other round or they could all have different targets to the ones mentioned in the paper. Who knows

We have been linked with Kono since before Poch arrived, so if Poch was keen as well then I don't see any reason why this deal wouldn't go thru. However it really doesn't look close

Imo the compromise deal will be Ayew, one that all parties find acceptable

We have been linked with Kono since before Poch arrived, so if Poch was keen as well then I don't see any reason why this deal wouldn't go thru. However it really doesn't look close

Imo the compromise deal will be Ayew, one that all parties find acceptable

If you look hard enough there are probably media articles linking us to most players in the game stretching back the past couple of years - doesn't mean anything though really does it

If you look hard enough there are probably media articles linking us to most players in the game stretching back the past couple of years - doesn't mean anything though really does it

Yeah but but the Dnipro president himself said back in march 2014 that Levy was negotiating to sign Kono, this was when we had Sherwood in charge.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...re-in-talks-to-sign-winger-yevhen-konoplyanka

The links started even earlier IIRC, when AVB was ini charge. There is definite long standing interest in Kono from Spurs /Levy/Baldini

Lavezzi is a big player though. I think it would be like rescuing Rafa from Madrid - it would give him a new lease of life

Ayew is the perfect Bielsa/Poch wing forward. Energetic, hardworking, direct but not unintelligent. A bit like Rodriguez

I just think Kono is a bit flaky. The type of player we'd've signed between 1994-2004. A Rebrov or an Arshavin, rather than a Modric or Krancjar.

So Konoplyanka is "flaky"? When he has been consistently good not only in his league but throughout the Europa League campaign and possibly single handedly took Dnipro to the final - where the Seville coach clearly does not share your opinion because he put three players on him at times. Not to mention his displays for the national team - just ask England!

But Lavezzi is a "big player"? He has been a complete failure in France, a league with basically two clubs and the rest being cannon fodder!

:rolleyes:

So Konoplyanka is "flaky"? When he has been consistently good not only in his league but throughout the Europa League campaign and possibly single handedly took Dnipro to the final - where the Seville coach clearly does not share your opinion because he put three players on him at times. Not to mention his displays for the national team - just ask England!

But Lavezzi is a "big player"? He has been a complete failure in France, a league with basically two clubs and the rest being cannon fodder!

:rolleyes:

What your source is for Konoplyanka being consistently good both in the domestic league and EL?

You been watching a lot of games yourself, or something else?

I don't know much about him, but he was truly shocking against Sevilla. Looked like a left sided version of Lamela, but worse.

Interesting post... disagree with the first paragraph but then agree, somewhat, with the second.

Konoplyanka is the closest we can get to an Eden Hazard - looking at him during yesterday's game I thought: poor man's Hazard. But then - as you say - we are a poor man compared to the money other clubs can throw at players. His main attribute seems to be his ability to unlock crowded defences with mesmerising dribbling. Unlike Lamela he does not beat one player and then lose it when facing the next. Sevilla had three players on him at times and yet he still managed an end product.

On a free transfer? To me it's a no-brainer because he will provide us with an option no other player in our team possesses. And to me that is the key to a great squad; having players who can give you a plan B, C, D...

As for those saying:

by all means tell us who those players are....

This to me is a strange attitude.

Sure, on paper signing a player on a free seems like a no risk prospect, but I really don't think that's the case.

We all know how you can get stuck with a player and paying his wages without him contributing much at all.

There's a significant opportunity cost, after all what's the point in signing a player without also giving him the opportunity to play and adjust over a bit of time. That's an opportunity that could be given to another player.

Finally Pochettino seems to be building towards something that's a bit more than the sum of its parts. We do not need more players that do not quite fit in with his pressing and high work rate style. Quite the opposite we need more players that fit in with his philosophy, as we've seen this season. People say he's "no worse than Chadli" in terms of work rate, but we really should look for better fits than (arguably) the worst fit out of any player in our current starting 11 in terms of work rate and pressing.

I'm not saying he's not good enough, I'm not even saying he's not a hard enough worker. I haven't seen enough of him to know either way on any of those. And I have to say that watching a player primarily in huge games (for him and his club) to evaluate work rate is a bit like evaluating women based on a blurry face-only tinder profile pic. I just don't think a "no-brainer" because it's on a free transfer. A £7-10m player could easily turn out to be a better value for money signing. And because of that concerns about his work rate and mentality are certainly important issues, if true.

Yeah but but the Dnipro president himself said back in march 2014 that Levy was negotiating to sign Kono, this was when we had Sherwood in charge.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...re-in-talks-to-sign-winger-yevhen-konoplyanka

The links started even earlier IIRC, when AVB was ini charge. There is definite long standing interest in Kono from Spurs /Levy/Baldini

does him being an existing target mean he couldn't now also be a target of Pochettino?

i don't think we need to be pigeon holing our targets this way - it's a team effort.

I think it's more than feasible that Mitchell/Pochettino have run the rule over existing club targets since their arrival and advised accordingly.

Interesting post... disagree with the first paragraph but then agree, somewhat, with the second.

Konoplyanka is the closest we can get to an Eden Hazard - looking at him during yesterday's game I thought: poor man's Hazard. But then - as you say - we are a poor man compared to the money other clubs can throw at players. His main attribute seems to be his ability to unlock crowded defences with mesmerising dribbling. Unlike Lamela he does not beat one player and then lose it when facing the next. Sevilla had three players on him at times and yet he still managed an end product.

On a free transfer? To me it's a no-brainer because he will provide us with an option no other player in our team possesses. And to me that is the key to a great squad; having players who can give you a plan B, C, D...

As for those saying:

by all means tell us who those players are....

Likewise an interesting post. Interesting to hear your views on him from the game. My points are a little contradictory and unclear. Probably as I haven't seen enough of him play. I was suggesting that he might be an upgrade on Townsend and Lennon, but not necessarily an upgrade on Lamela. Maybe Lamela's equal? From your post, maybe this is not the case and he is worth investing in. Ultimately, no one has a crystal ball. No one can say for sure how he would perform. We can only look at his attributes and raw abilities to make an informed guess.

Likewise an interesting post. Interesting to hear your views on him from the game. My points are a little contradictory and unclear. Probably as I haven't seen enough of him play. I was suggesting that he might be an upgrade on Townsend and Lennon, but not necessarily an upgrade on Lamela. Maybe Lamela's equal? From your post, maybe this is not the case and he is worth investing in. Ultimately, no one has a crystal ball. No one can say for sure how he would perform. We can only look at his attributes and raw abilities to make an informed guess.

He is not Lamela's equal because he has attributes that Lamela can never acquire. The closest I can get to him is Hazard; both have the same close control that makes a joke of tight markers. Now I am not saying that he is as good as Hazard; at the moment only Messi can probably get that accolade and obviously surpass it. But he is the best that we can optimistically aspire for... Can he flop? Of course! Just look at Di Maria. It's a major risk; if it wasn't Utd would not have spent 30 mill on Depay. However there are only a handful of players with the key to open locked defences; if we lose this opportunity, I fear we will regret it big time.
Lamela will definitely not be that solution - even if he improves as I hope he does, his strengths will be different... workrate, finding space between the lines, threading a pass that few others can; that is my hope that Lamela can become. I am confident that Konoplyanka can offer us something different, something we lack and which we need if we are to emulate the likes of Arsenal in constantly being able to unlock packed defences.

I don't particularly rate Kono and I think he will drop off after a season. Would rather we got someone who will take a season to bed in but then repay that with many more at a higher level.

I don't particularly rate Kono and I think he will drop off after a season. Would rather we got someone who will take a season to bed in but then repay that with many more at a higher level.

On what basis if I may ask? Because Arshavin did that? And Kono is also stereotypically a Russian?

Or do have a crystal ball?

No, I just think he will have a great breakthrough season and then sides will double up on him and he will struggle to make a similar impact thereafter.

No, I just think he will have a great breakthrough season and then sides will double up on him and he will struggle to make a similar impact thereafter.
I'd take that!.... After all we have a £26 million player who hasn't managed the first half of your sentence in 2 seasons...

Back