• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Worst road in England

The M4 roundabout near Maidenhead junction 8/9 is a pain in the ass... every day waiting for the lights to change.

This week the lights were broken and BINGO, traffic is moving much faster, no queues at all. FFS

The M4 roundabout near Maidenhead junction 8/9 is a pain in the ass... every day waiting for the lights to change.

This week the lights were broken and BINGO, traffic is moving much faster, no queues at all. FFS
There's a four way light junction near me that used to be a large roundabout without lights.

During rush hour, despite all the traffic, it just moved, never had a problem there. During the day though, old duffers kept driving into each other or stopping just after joining so that others would drive into the back of them.

Rather than stop the incompetent from driving, they replaced the roundabout with lights and now there's a regular 15 minute queue in each direction.

There was clearly no proper cost/benefit analysis done because there's no way taking 15 minutes out of thousands of people's lives every day is better than prolonging the last few incontinent months of someone who has long outlived their usefulness.

There's a four way light junction near me that used to be a large roundabout without lights.

During rush hour, despite all the traffic, it just moved, never had a problem there. During the day though, old duffers kept driving into each other or stopping just after joining so that others would drive into the back of them.

Rather than stop the incompetent from driving, they replaced the roundabout with lights and now there's a regular 15 minute queue in each direction.

There was clearly no proper cost/benefit analysis done because there's no way taking 15 minutes out of thousands of people's lives every day is better than prolonging the last few incontinent months of someone who has long outlived their usefulness.
I don't understand why they don't put slip lanes to turn left at all roundabouts. Takes that traffic out of the equation, and if all roundabouts where like that, you could tailor your route to suit left turns.

The M1 between Leeds and London is now almost entirely a Micro Management Motorway (except a little relic of the quick old days from Leicester to Northampton). There's also an absolute ton of freight on, using the inside and most of the time middle lane too.

All 9 circles of hell in 170 miles

The M1 between Leeds and London is now almost entirely a Micro Management Motorway (except a little relic of the quick old days from Leicester to Northampton). There's also an absolute ton of freight on, using the inside and most of the time middle lane too.

All 9 circles of hell in 170 miles
It needs a parallel toll like the M6.

That or restrict the outside lane to those who pay a premium.

It needs a parallel toll like the M6.

That or restrict the outside lane to those who pay a premium.

I guess in some ways that's kind of the A1(M). You pay the petrol for the extra 30 or so miles, but it's actually much quicker now, as well as being a much more scenic drive with better services.

I guess in some ways that's kind of the A1(M). You pay the petrol for the extra 30 or so miles, but it's actually much quicker now, as well as being a much more scenic drive with better services.

Unless you're northbound, J6 to J7 where now lane one is left only through Welwyn.

Buggered that right up. Huge queues pretty much daily any time from 4pm-ish to 7pm-ish, often as far back as the tunnel (or just after) in prime rush hour.

They've just created rat run through Welwyn to come off the A1M then rejoin. Bonkers decision.

Highway engineers must make the most unfathomable decisions ever. They should name them, and get them to make YouTube videos explaining their madness. fudge voting for staying in Europe or not, vote for which traffic solution you want to see.

Now your asking for me to start a best motorway services thread.

For the record I think the M40 services near Oxford are the best, their toilets the 4 times I have been in them have always been clean and the atrium had a light airy feel that raised my spirits for my onwards journey.

For nostalgia I like Clackets Lane as I used to stop there a lot when I was on my way back from sites in London towards the south coast.

I like how motorway services have more parks and play areas for the children.

Winchester services used to do a bacon roll and a tea for £2 - no waiting. That was always nice on the way to work.

Fleet Northbound used to be good on a Friday night. Traffic was always so bad you could stop for fast food to go and a tinkle (probably not best in that order) and get back in the queue roughly where you left it.

For the record I think the M40 services near Oxford are the best, their toilets the 4 times I have been in them have always been clean and the atrium had a light airy feel that raised my spirits for my onwards journey.

For nostalgia I like Clackets Lane as I used to stop there a lot when I was on my way back from sites in London towards the south coast.

Tebay on the M6 in Westmorland - hands down.

Honourables to Gloucester on the M5 and Brockholes near Preston

Great services. Always stop there when we go to Wembley. Some good ones on the way down to home games on the M6 and M1, but our favoured is Corley as its more or less bang on half-way through the journey

Back