• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

WorldChess2016

ringo

Tim Sherwood
I may well be the only person on the board watching the World Chess championship, but even if that is the case I have to say Game 8 today was unbelievable.

At the the risk of sounding completely crazy, watching several hours of world championship chess on a computer is as exciting as watching a lot of other better supported sports. Yes, I know. I'll go back to my padded cell now.

1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

Do they just decide that a game is drawn when they see it's not going anywhere, or is there a time limit they reach or something?

And do you really watch 5hrs of some dudes playing chess? ;)

Do they just decide that a game is drawn when they see it's not going anywhere, or is there a time limit they reach or something?

And do you really watch 5hrs of some dudes playing chess? ;)

In chess etiquette (at the higher levels) only the player who is demonstrably better in a position is allowed to offer a draw. Sometimes, even though the game is fairly obviously drawn, the better player will play on just for the hell of it, to annoy their opponent, tire them out etc. after 5/6 hours of chess they get tired and can easily blunder. You can draw in other ways - perpetual check, repetition, 50 moves without moving a pawn or capturing a piece.

There is a time limit for the first 40 moves (100 minutes) and then decreasing time limit, 50 minutes for next 20 moves, 15 minutes for the rest of the game ( plus an additional 30 seconds per move from the start). if you run out of time, you lose.

The chess starts at 7pm UK time, so I work and have a couple of websites on with the commentary. I only give it my full attention when I'm taking a break or it is at a critical moment.

There is a $1m prize money, with the winner taking home $636,000. Not a bad way to make money if you happen to be very very very good at chess.

I used to play in competitions when I was younger (I wasn't that good) - and it is weird combination of the intellectual and visceral, the feeling that you are about to beat your opponent, or they are about to beat you, and there is nothing they/you can do about it. It doesn't surprise me that ChessBoxing exists.

Last edited:
There was an old computer game called battlechess with "animated" fights (this was late 80s graphics), which was amusing for about 5 minutes.

I had to watch an hour yesterday due to family commitments. It is so boring. Absolutely nothing happens except for the nonstop chatter by nerdy experts in the studio. I can't believe the Russian managed to lose that game in the end. I was really hoping he would win the title so I won't have to see Carlsen's mug everywhere. Suddenly everyone in Norway are die hard chess fans (read: Band wagon jumping nationalists).

Go on....
http://londonchessboxing.com

"The first bout of the night was another eleven rounder this time between old enemies Matt “Crazy Arms” Read and Chris “The General” Levy. This crowd pleasing battle was total war from the first bell with neither man willing to take a backward step. Blows were traded to the point of exhaustion in every round and yet somehow these two experienced competitors produced a memorable chess game full of excitement and verve. The General opened up a material advantage and by the final round was two pieces up. However his Kingside pawns were gone and Read was a full minute ahead on the clock. The bout ended in controversy with Levy claiming victory and Crazy Arms protesting that an illegal move had been made in the dying seconds of the time scramble. Video evidence on the night proved inconclusive and the arbiter awarded the win to Levy – levelling the score between these two and setting up the mouth-watering prospect of a final decider later in the year."

Sadly it wasn't an option at school.

There was an old computer game called battlechess with "animated" fights (this was late 80s graphics), which was amusing for about 5 minutes.

I had to watch an hour yesterday due to family commitments. It is so boring. Absolutely nothing happens except for the nonstop chatter by nerdy experts in the studio. I can't believe the Russian managed to lose that game in the end. I was really hoping he would win the title so I won't have to see Carlsen's mug everywhere. Suddenly everyone in Norway are die hard chess fans (read: Band wagon jumping nationalists).

What kind of family commitment requires you to watch chess for an hour!!? Although I'm forgetting the game is on national TV in Norway -is that right? What is the attitude to the match in Norway? Does Magnus have superstar status there?

What kind of family commitment requires you to watch chess for an hour!!? Although I'm forgetting the game is on national TV in Norway -is that right? What is the attitude to the match in Norway? Does Magnus have superstar status there?

It's live in its entirety on what equates to BBC2 or something.

Of course he's a star, he's Norwegian and he's winning stuff, so naturally everyone are now suddenly massive fans of that sport.

Oooh, yes, had that on the amiga! I learned chess by playing that. :)

I've been following it a bit. Its big over here in Norway because of Carlsen. Local lad from where I'm from. I saw him wear spurs shirts when he was younger, but he seems to be just real Madrid now.

I was watching more of the coverage last year. Haven't had the time or been interested this year, too slow and too late at night.

I've been following it a bit. Its big over here in Norway because of Carlsen. Local lad from where I'm from. I saw him wear spurs shirts when he was younger, but he seems to be just real Madrid now.

You need to have a word.....

I was watching more of the coverage last year. Haven't had the time or been interested this year, too slow and too late at night.

They showed him singing the Payet version of the Alli song this summer after going to one the games at the Euros. Not sure if he's France, West Ham or just likes Payet. Or is just a very weird guy.

They showed him singing the Payet version of the Alli song this summer after going to one the games at the Euros. Not sure if he's France, West Ham or just likes Payet. Or is just a very weird guy.

Definitely a very weird guy, no question about that. Cough, ass, cough, burgers, cough.

@ringo been watching too mate! Its the tie-breaker short game tonight right!?

As for being a spectator sport - its not particularly. More interesting to watch the 20-30 minute 'highlights' recap of the game on YouTube showing the complexities of what was doing on. If you play chess it helps develop your own game - seeing lines, strategies etc.

We should have a gg tournament maybe without the boxing.

Back