• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup SF - Argentina vs Netherlands

That was no worse than Fred's dive in Brazil's opener. In Robben's defence he was kicked several times before he went down.

He got kicked and Fred's dive was terrible but it's no excuse to dive the way Robben did. The worst part about it is he that he continually gets away with it, I've hardly ever seen him booked for it.

He got kicked and Fred's dive was terrible but it's no excuse to dive the way Robben did. The worst part about it is he that he continually gets away with it, I've hardly ever seen him booked for it.

I'm not excusing it, I dislike players diving and cheating. Given the choice between a team that cheats but plays entertaining football and a team that cheats and plays dull football, I will want the entertaining cheats to win.

I'm not as in love with the Dutch as a lot of people are, they've produced some great players over the years but they've never actually won the World Cup so I don't know why so many Dutch players have such a high opinion of themselves. Their fans are brilliant though I must say. And Louis Van Gaal does have a massive head, literally and figuratively.

Higuain played really well yesterday, if he is coming into form it will help Lionel too

more than just form it was a good shift of tactics. but it leaves LVG with a big headache now. if holland throw everything forwards i can see argentina sneaking in a few goals. if holland play tight and defend, I don't see how they can score.

di maria's absence will cost argentina dearly though, they will miss his energy in the midfield.

I'm having trouble coming to terms with the fact that of the four teams left, Germany are the least offensive. Krul's antics during the penalty shoot out were just another example of the type of behaviour that is making me fall out of love with the game. Had I been reffing the game, I would have called him over told him to shut his mouth and get over to the goal line and get ready for the spot kick.

I'm having trouble coming to terms with the fact that of the four teams left, Germany are the least offensive. Krul's antics during the penalty shoot out were just another example of the type of behaviour that is making me fall out of love with the game. Had I been reffing the game, I would have called him over told him to shut his mouth and get over to the goal line and get ready for the spot kick.

Have to agree - not used to supporting the Germans.

If I'd been reffing I'd have booked Krul the first time he did it and told him there'd be no leniency for that kind of **** in my house.

Germany's fans are the international equivalent of Liverpool fans, every year it's their year and have the best team.

I really hope Argentina win it.

Germany and Argentina the most likeable teams for me of the four that remain, but I've always had a soft spot for Argentina.

Whilst I dont like what Krul did, I dont see a problem with it. If a player cant handle mind games then you would have to play on that. Its the world cup after all. Its not cheating, its gamesmanship but its borderline gamesmanship. You see players getting into the ear of other players in each game, whats the diff?

It was time wasting if nothing else, I'd have booked him too. Gamesmanship, or being a **** as it should be called, isn't doing the game any favours whatever current and ex pros seem to think.

Whilst I dont like what Krul did, I dont see a problem with it. If a player cant handle mind games then you would have to play on that. Its the world cup after all. Its not cheating, its gamesmanship but its borderline gamesmanship. You see players getting into the ear of other players in each game, whats the diff?
There's a reason why the teams are made to stand on the halfway line during a penalty shoot out.

If they're not allowed to distract the players then the keepers shouldn't be either.

There's a reason why the teams are made to stand on the halfway line during a penalty shoot out.

If they're not allowed to distract the players then the keepers shouldn't be either.

Distracting a player before taking their kick is not 'illegal' or against the rules. Its against the spirit yes but not against rules per se.

Do they stand on the half way line so as not to distract them - is that why they stand there? I dont know.

I would stand with my back to the keeper just before the run up. Also means he has less time to figure out which direction I'm looking to bury the ball in.

Really? I have never got that impression when I have discussed football with Germans.

They're not as deluded and don't have the same persecution complex, but they think they have the best team every competition regardless of the strength of the other nations. I've been to games in Germany and their club fans are all a decent bunch, I watched the 2013 CL final in a German pub in London which was tremendous! But they still think of themselves as the powerhouse of world football when in fact they've actually won less World Cups than Brazil and Italy.

They're not as deluded and don't have the same persecution complex, but they think they have the best team every competition regardless of the strength of the other nations. I've been to games in Germany and their club fans are all a decent bunch, I watched the 2013 CL final in a German pub in London which was tremendous! But they still think of themselves as the powerhouse of world football when in fact they've actually won less World Cups than Brazil and Italy.

Like I said, that is not my experience of German fans but I'm not arguing that it is your's

Wait, they have the third most titles of any nation in the World Cup, and they're the team that's reached the highest number of semi-finals. Unlike Italy none of their titles are in the pre-World War 2 era. They're also tied with Spain for the highest number of Euro wins and have the highest number of Euro final appearances.

Could be a difference in definition, but for me a description of Germany as a powerhouse in international football seems spot on. Look at their World Cup history in the last decades, starting in 1982: Runners-up, runners-up, champions, quarter finalists, runners-up, third place, third place, finalists. That's one of the last 8 World Cups (counting this one) where they've failed to progress past the quarter finals. (two out of their last 12 by the way). They go into most tournaments with massive expectations, because they keep performing.

With the Brazil result, sorry humiliation, the stage is set for Argentina to take the opportunity to win the world cup in their biggest rivals own backyard.

That alone, now, I feel will propel them past the Netherlands.

If they fail however, the third place play-off might be worth a look...:-"

Back