• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Round of 16 - Fixtures in 1st Post

Yup. That's a sentiment that I share. Ok, we might not have World Class players but there's no excuse for displaying a lack of passion or teamwork.

Instead, there's repeated stories in the press about how much players hurt when they lose..then why the **** don't they show that passion more often on the pitch?!!

Yup. That's a sentiment that I share. Ok, we might not have World Class players but there's no excuse for displaying a lack of passion or teamwork.

Instead, there's repeated stories in the press about how much players hurt when they lose..then why the **** don't they show that passion more often on the pitch?!!

How do you know they are not showing passion, why must passion only mean going around with a growl on your face. England's footballers have so much criticism but in this world cup we saw a more disciplined performance from them which is what they have been asked of for quite a few world cups. They kept their shape they kept the ball better then they have done for years.

Sometimes passion can be the same as determination to do something better to do something well. They gave it their all you can see this by the way they refused to resort to long ball despite actually conceding goals this way. They showed passion and commitment to their duties, they just were not good enough.

**** passion, I want professionalism, know when to dive, know when to take it in the corner, know when to fake an injury

How do you know they are not showing passion, why must passion only mean going around with a growl on your face. England's footballers have so much criticism but in this world cup we saw a more disciplined performance from them which is what they have been asked of for quite a few world cups. They kept their shape they kept the ball better then they have done for years.

Sometimes passion can be the same as determination to do something better to do something well. They gave it their all you can see this by the way they refused to resort to long ball despite actually conceding goals this way. They showed passion and commitment to their duties, they just were not good enough.
Quite.

In fact, the sooner our young cousins from across the Atlantic learn that, the sooner they have a chance of winning stuff.

Unfortunately they still haven't learned to properly appreciate the finer side of the game when it comes to their international team. Do you guys still have a limit of 3 designated players? That's probably something to do with it.

Wow these bigger nations are really struggling. All have made it through though which is great to see. Looking forward to Friday.

And yet, Costa Rica ARE good enough?!

Let's be honest, there's a gulf in abilities between the standard of player playing for England, and the standard of player playing for Costa Rica. And yet, Costa Rica qualified as group winners.

I don't buy that players who are professional and play to the system are doing so because their passionate. How many admin assistants do you think place a letter correctly in an envelope? Etc. They do so because it's their job, they are following instruction. I doubt many have passion for their job.

I didn't see any evidence of the passion in our team. There was often less urgency than required and defensively the players often failed their team mates. Rooney leaving Baines to deal with everything himself is a much publicised weakness defensively. Perhaps that was tactical but, as it never seemed to be addressed when it became an apparent problem, I'm thinking not.

If I am wrong, and the players are passionate, then Hodgson needs the boot. To have a squad of passionate players, with greater ability than the top side in the group, finish bottom of the group should be a sackable offence.

We have eyes. England did'nt have a shred of the heart, desire, and "balls" of the USA team. Thats what annoys most England fans. Its not about world class players or outstanding talent. People just want to see the team give 100% and England's powder puffs NEVER do.

I was sick of hearing about the USA team showing passion last night, it was like a propaganda commentary from Top Gun throughout. Algeria showed passion, Chile showed passion, countless other nations showed passion, but the BBC commentary team seem to think patriotism is purely the endeavour of Americans. Listening to Danny Murphy fawning over a country that has rejected the sport for decades was nauseating. Now all of a sudden a record amount of tweets are sent during a game and the world is supposed to believe football finally is a global sport.

(...) Now all of a sudden a record amount of tweets are sent during a game and the world is supposed to believe football finally is a global sport.

It certainly is a global sport.

And the 'passion' of Chile, Algeria, Mexico et. al. was more than recognized when they played. Nauseating that there is coverage when the clear underdog USA gives title-outsiders Belgium a real fight, in an extremely entertaining match? OK.

I was sick of hearing about the USA team showing passion last night, it was like a propaganda commentary from Top Gun throughout. Algeria showed passion, Chile showed passion, countless other nations showed passion, but the BBC commentary team seem to think patriotism is purely the endeavour of Americans. Listening to Danny Murphy fawning over a country that has rejected the sport for decades was nauseating. Now all of a sudden a record amount of tweets are sent during a game and the world is supposed to believe football finally is a global sport.

I feel what you're saying and know exactly what you mean.

I actually think this fawning is more a love-fest for Jurgen Klinnsmann, their mate. If he wasn't in the job i doubt there'd be anywhere near as much USA butt-licking.

We have eyes. England did'nt have a shred of the heart, desire, and "balls" of the USA team. Thats what annoys most England fans. Its not about world class players or outstanding talent. People just want to see the team give 100% and England's powder puffs NEVER do.

Passion has nothing to do with sprinting about like a talentless clown.

I've always thought if we could just mesh England's talent with USA's heart and drive we would have a winner...

I feel what you're saying and know exactly what you mean.

I actually think this fawning is more a love-fest for Jurgen Klinnsmann, their mate. If he wasn't in the job i doubt there'd be anywhere near as much USA butt-licking.

I'd agree with the Klinsmann comments with regards to the group stage matches, but last night it was borderline sycophancy towards the nation. The focus on Klinsmann last night was more about how him and the Belgium manager were getting along, and how he was gracious in defeat at the end.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Great match though, good comeback from USA, but Belgium were too strong. Thought they dominated nearly all of the 130 minutes and were deserved winners.

Also was pleased to see Vertonghen on the whole play very well!! Thought he was excellent.

Re: Hugo Lloris

Back to the actual topic here -> Hugo ..

Anyone else notice for France (in this world cup at least) he sits back on the line (doesn't come out that often as vs. us)?

Seems he can play either way well ...

I thought England easily matched the heart, desire and "balls" that Italy had in the England-Italy game for example, a game where running machine Marchisio said afterwards that he started hallucinating because of the effort put in and the heat.

And yet, Costa Rica ARE good enough?!

Let's be honest, there's a gulf in abilities between the standard of player playing for England, and the standard of player playing for Costa Rica. And yet, Costa Rica qualified as group winners.

I don't buy that players who are professional and play to the system are doing so because their passionate. How many admin assistants do you think place a letter correctly in an envelope? Etc. They do so because it's their job, they are following instruction. I doubt many have passion for their job.

I didn't see any evidence of the passion in our team. There was often less urgency than required and defensively the players often failed their team mates. Rooney leaving Baines to deal with everything himself is a much publicised weakness defensively. Perhaps that was tactical but, as it never seemed to be addressed when it became an apparent problem, I'm thinking not.

If I am wrong, and the players are passionate, then Hodgson needs the boot. To have a squad of passionate players, with greater ability than the top side in the group, finish bottom of the group should be a sackable offence.

There's only one England team, and probably 10-12 or possibly even as many as 16-18 teams that would be categorized with Costa Rica before the tournament. In a tournament where half the teams go through the group stages it's expected that some of those teams that aren't highly rated will do well just by chance. No doubt Costa Rica have been better than expected by most (myself at least), but it's not like if you could turn back time and play the group again Costa Rica would go through every time.

With most teams working hard the "guts and passion shown by team X" is a super easy story to sell when, rather predictably, one of the smaller teams does well. Arguably what happened with England in '90 and '96 imo.

Back to the actual topic here -> Hugo ..

Anyone else notice for France (in this world cup at least) he sits back on the line (doesn't come out that often as vs. us)?

Seems he can play either way well ...

I didn't notice, but I haven't watched all the games.

You talking about through balls or coming out for crosses?

If through balls could it be just a coincidence as France have been playing really well and they have been playing with fairly quick centre backs?

France haven't really been tested defensively at all, it is a good point though. Hugo seems pretty conservative compared to Manuel Neuer, that guy was crazy the other night.

Back