• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Round of 16 - Fixtures in 1st Post

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/greece-georgios-samaras-invites-young-world-cup-1541175-Jun2014/

Greece star Georgios Samaras invites young Irish fan to the World Cup

11-year-old Celtic fan Jay Beatty, who has Down’s syndrome, is set to watch his hero in action against Costa Rica.
A YOUNG IRISH fan is set to travel to the World Cup to watch his hero Georgios Samaras in action, after being invited to the tournament by the star himself.
11-year-old Celtic supporter Jay Beatty, who has Down’s syndrome, also encountered the Greek star when he was taken from the stands by him to join in the Scottish side’s league title celebrations earlier this year.

Wonderful gesture by Samaras =D>

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/greece-georgios-samaras-invites-young-world-cup-1541175-Jun2014/

11-year-old Celtic fan Jay Beatty, who has Down’s syndrome, is set to watch his hero in action against Costa Rica.
A YOUNG IRISH fan is set to travel to the World Cup to watch his hero Georgios Samaras in action, after being invited to the tournament by the star himself.
11-year-old Celtic supporter Jay Beatty, who has Down’s syndrome, also encountered the Greek star when he was taken from the stands by him to join in the Scottish side’s league title celebrations earlier this year.

Was just about to post this myself. Nice gesture.

[video=youtube;MfjjPfdAHE4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfjjPfdAHE4[/video]

Good player too always enjoyed watching him.

28 June

1. Brazil v. Chile
3. Colombia v. Uruguay

29 June

2. Netherlands v. Mexico
4. Costa Rica v. Greece

30 June

5. France v. Nigeria
7. Germany v. Algeria

1 July

6. Argentina v. Switzerland
8. Belgium v. USA

It is a bit disappointing there are not too many "close" or high profile matches in the Second Round. Almost all the matches looked like being one sided except for the Netherlands-Mexico match. Brazil have a great record against Chile while Colombia will easily beat Suarez-less Uruguay. Nigeria and Algeria don't have the quality to trouble France and Germany respectively. On paper, Argentina and Belgium should progress as well. Only Costa Rica-Greece match is hard to predict as Greece are unpredictable with their defensive tactics.

Compared this to the 2010 WC where there was Argentina-Mexico, Germany-England and Spain-Portugal matches in Second Round. In 2006, there was Argentina-Mexico, Portugal-Netherlands and Spain-France matches. The lack of the high-profile matches this time is mostly due to big European teams failing to progress out of their group like Spain, England, Italy and Portugal.

The fact only 6 of 13 European teams have progressed to the second round shows how badly the European teams have done this time. In contrast, out of 10 South and Central American teams, 8 have reached the second round which is a great achievement.

Last edited:
No football tonight, take the opportunity to head over to the Vice Den and post a couple of pictures in the world cup babes thread?

Hopefully Scolari finally sees sense and starts Fernandino ahead of Paulinho......they looked so much more fluid and exciting going forward when he made the switch against Cameroon.

It is a bit disappointing there are not too many "close" or high profile matches in the Second Round. Almost all the matches looked like being one sided except for the Netherlands-Mexico match. Brazil have a great record against Chile while Colombia will easily beat Suarez-less Uruguay. Nigeria and Algeria don't have the quality to trouble France and Germany respectively. On paper, Argentina and Belgium should progress as well. Only Costa Rica-Greece match is hard to predict as Greece are unpredictable with their defensive tactics.

Compared this to the 2010 WC where there was Argentina-Mexico, Germany-England and Spain-Portugal matches in Second Round. In 2006, there was Argentina-Mexico, Portugal-Netherlands and Spain-France matches. The lack of the high-profile matches this time is mostly due to big European teams failing to progress out of their group like Spain, England, Italy and Portugal.

The fact only 6 of 13 European teams have progressed to the second round shows how badly the European teams have done this time. In contrast, out of 10 South and Central American teams, 8 have reached the second round which is a great achievement.

It has been a world cup where the under dog has done well, I hope that continues into the knock out stage.

I agree Milo, although i'm not sure if thats because the underdogs are having their day or if there is just less range in comparable quality between the teams than in previous tournaments.

I agree Milo, although i'm not sure if thats because the underdogs are having their day or if there is just less range in comparable quality between the teams than in previous tournaments.

I don't think that there are any exceptional teams in this tournament, everyone has at least one weakness.

Teams can grow during a tournament. If Brasil or Argentina get their act together before the end they could still be looked at in hindsight as great champions, even after a sluggish start. At the moment we just have the poor part, but if they improve the scores will be remembered more than the performances. I'm not trying to say they will, just that they could.

Teams can grow during a tournament. If Brasil or Argentina get their act together before the end they could still be looked at in hindsight as great champions, even after a sluggish start. At the moment we just have the poor part, but if they improve the scores will be remembered more than the performances. I'm not trying to say they will, just that they could.
Absolutely. Teams also take a different approach to the group phase to the knock out one. Some of the better teams might be holding a little back knowing that it takes more in the knock out rounds and that they have a lot of football to play if they are going to go all of the way.

I still find it hard to see beyond Argentina and Brazil as possible champions despite neither playing particularly well so far.

Brazil v. Chile
Colombia v. Uruguay
Netherlands v. Mexico
Costa Rica v. Greece
France v. Nigeria
Germany v. Algeria
Argentina v. Switzerland
Belgium v. USA

Finally - Paulinho dropped !

LINE-UPS

Brazil: Julio Cesar, Alves, Silva, Luiz, Fernandinho, Marcelo, Hulk, Fred, Neymar, Oscar, Gustavo.

Chile: Bravo, Mena, Isla, Silva, Sanchez, Vidal, Vargas, Medel, Jara, Aranguiz, Dias.

Neymar might be injured. Brazil seem more effective in defence than they've been up until now. Alexis Sanchez with some good early touches.

Early start but the game has potential.

Back