• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group H - Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Belgium and Algeria

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Belgium and Russia

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Belgium and South Korea

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Algeria and Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Algeria and South Korea

• Russia and South Korea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think he has a valid reason to complain. There was a stonewall penalty not given to Russia against Belgium. And there was another foul not given to Russia near the goal area against Algeria. I think the worst of it all was the laser being pointed at the Russian goalie's face just before Algeria scored the goal. Not sure if the laser affected the Russia goalie directly, but surely it might have affected his concentration. Normally, in Asia, whenever a laser light is pointed at the goalie, the ref would stop play and make an announcement that laser shouldn't be used. This ref should have done that but he didn't.

In the 1st half, a clear penalty for Algeria was not given after a foul on Slimani (shirt and short pulling)

In the 1st half, a clear penalty for Algeria was not given after a foul on Slimani (shirt and short pulling)

Shirt and short pulling is hardly being punished in this WC, so not sure the penalty would have been given.
Also, thought the Algerian reserve player kicking the ball away during injury time was a more serious offence and deserved a red card instead of a yellow one. It could have resulted in a fight between players if it had been against hot tempered teams like Portugal and Croatia. It might not affected the result but the player should have been punished accordingly.

akinfeev1.gif

akinfeev2.gif

The Russia goalie is clearly affected by the laser light and he is clearly complaining to the ref. The laser is still being pointed at the goalie as he is about to react to the corner. The fact the goalie fails to reach the ball from the corner could have resulted from this as his mind is elsewhere and he couldn't concentrate. The ref should have stopped play.

Last edited:
While I agree that he shouldn't have to put up with some **** shining a laser in his eyes, it doesn't really seem to be affecting him, in that he keeps his focus on the ball throughout. Really I think he's just made another mistake there, not the clanger of South Korea, but a mistake in his judgement to come for the ball.

I'd also have loved to have seen that sub get a red, would've ****ed myself. I hate that sort of cheating and poor sportsmanship, completely unnecessary.

While I agree that he shouldn't have to put up with some **** shining a laser in his eyes, it doesn't really seem to be affecting him, in that he keeps his focus on the ball throughout. Really I think he's just made another mistake there, not the clanger of South Korea, but a mistake in his judgement to come for the ball.

I'd also have loved to have seen that sub get a red, would've ****ed myself. I hate that sort of cheating and poor sportsmanship, completely unnecessary.

Frankly, the Russian goalie have had a error-free game since the first match. And he was excellent in this match until that moment. And if you look at his reactions, he is staring right and left in anger when the laser is being pointed at his face. I am convinced that of lack concentration at that crucial moment have caused him to make that blunder.

Shirt and short pulling is hardly being punished in this WC, so not sure the penalty would have been given.
Also, thought the Algerian reserve player kicking the ball away during injury time was a more serious offence and deserved a red card instead of a yellow one. It could have resulted in a fight between players if it had been against hot tempered teams like Portugal and Croatia. It might not affected the result but the player should have been punished accordingly.

You're highlighting fouls outside the box and a sub kicking the ball away that wasted all of half a second due to the multiball system, at the same time you're minimizing one of the clearest shirt and short pulling penalties in the world cup so far. Actually Algeria was denied two penalties imo, the shirt and short pulling was clear cut, but also not long before the goal Slimani was taken out of a set piece situation by a Russian player that couldn't have been less interested in the ball if it was a wet turd. The russian player blatantly stood facing away from the corner taking side, only looking at and trying to manhandle Slimani who responded in kind and a free kick to Russia was given.

I think you're showing your bias a bit by your interpretation of Russia as the unlucky side here, have to say that I only watched the Russia - Algeria game and not the other Russia games, but for the Algeria game Russia deserved no more than they got for me at least.

Frankly, the Russian goalie have had a error-free game since the first match. And he was excellent in this match until that moment. And if you look at his reactions, he is staring right and left in anger when the laser is being pointed at his face. I am convinced that of lack concentration at that crucial moment have caused him to make that blunder.

As a keeper myself, **** like this would absolutely affect me, even for a split second. Corners are hard enough to deal with when you have opposition players impeding you, digging you in the ribs and stepping on your boots.

Agreed. A distraction could easily leave the goal-keeper slightly out of position or a bit flat footed. He was concerned with the laser, not following the movement of the players and thinking about what he should be doing.

I think it a bit surprising how little coverage this has had. If it had involved one of the big nations I suspect it would be headline news, although Suarez has captured a disproportionate share of the news pie.

Don't understand 2 things about the ref in this match :

1) on what basis did the ref only gave a yellow card to the Algerian reserve player for kicking the ball away ? He is an outsider who is not involved in the game and he has disrupted the flow of the game and brought the game into disrepute which means he should have been shown a red card and removed from the field immediately. But the ref didn't do it.

2) the ref gave 4 mins of injury time. but the ball kicking incident and the subsequent yellow card shown to him wasted all of 30 seconds. But the ref stopped the game at exactly 4 mins, not even 1 second extra. Why the extra 30 seconds not given ? As Portugal proved by scoring with the last second of the injury time against US, every seconds counts in injury time. But but the ref chose to ignore this.

It looks as if the ref from Turkey was either biased or didn't have the backbone to punish Algeria by giving out extra 30 seconds to 1 min of injury time.

It is really annoying and unacceptbale to see 2 unsportmanship acts by those not involved in the game went unpunished by the ref.

Agreed. A distraction could easily leave the goal-keeper slightly out of position or a bit flat footed. He was concerned with the laser, not following the movement of the players and thinking about what he should be doing.

I think it a bit surprising how little coverage this has had. If it had involved one of the big nations I suspect it would be headline news, although Suarez has captured a disproportionate share of the news pie.

Russia are really stupid not to make a big fuss about this incident. During the 2010 AFF Cup Final between Malaysia and Indonesia, there was a laser light pointed at the face of the Indonesian goalie. The Indonesians made a big fuss of it and walked off the pitch, refusing to play until action was taken. The ref then had to consult with the FA officials who then had to make an announcement to request the crowd not to use the laser lights. The match was only resumed after 8 mins. Later the Indonesians claimed they lost the match due to the laser incidents and their fans did the same thing to the Malaysian goalie in the return leg. I think any decent teams would have done the same. But this Russian team and their coach Capello are lame cats who chose not to react to anything during the match.

If FIFA is really fair and firm, they should fine the Algerian FA and make them play without their fans during their next match against Germany. Afterall, pointing laser at face is a more serious incident than racist chants which is punished heavily always.

Last edited:
Russia are really stupid not to make a big fuss about this incident. During the 2010 AFF Cup Final between Malaysia and Indonesia, there was a laser light pointed at the face of the Indonesian goalie. The Indonesians made a big fuss of it and walked off the pitch, refusing to play until action was taken. The ref then had to consult with the FA officials who then had to make an announcement to request the crowd not to use the laser lights. The match was only resumed after 8 mins. Later the Indonesians claimed they lost the match due to the laser incidents and their fans did the same thing to the Malaysian goalie in the return leg. I think any decent teams would have done the same. But this Russian team and their coach Capello are lame cats who chose not to react to anything during the match.

If FIFA is really fair and firm, they should fine the Algerian FA and make them play without their fans during their next match against Germany. Afterall, pointing laser at face is a more serious incident than racist chants which is punished heavily always.

Are you being serious with your last sentence?

Last edited:
Russia can rightly complain about a few decisions that didn't go their way, but, with the talent they have at their disposal they really only have themselves to blame, the players just didn't turn up, that team is far far less than the sum of it's parts.

Don't understand 2 things about the ref in this match :

1) on what basis did the ref only gave a yellow card to the Algerian reserve player for kicking the ball away ? He is an outsider who is not involved in the game and he has disrupted the flow of the game and brought the game into disrepute which means he should have been shown a red card and removed from the field immediately. But the ref didn't do it.

2) the ref gave 4 mins of injury time. but the ball kicking incident and the subsequent yellow card shown to him wasted all of 30 seconds. But the ref stopped the game at exactly 4 mins, not even 1 second extra. Why the extra 30 seconds not given ? As Portugal proved by scoring with the last second of the injury time against US, every seconds counts in injury time. But but the ref chose to ignore this.

It looks as if the ref from Turkey was either biased or didn't have the backbone to punish Algeria by giving out extra 30 seconds to 1 min of injury time.

It is really annoying and unacceptbale to see 2 unsportmanship acts by those not involved in the game went unpunished by the ref.

For Question 1: all what the Algerian sub can risk is a yellow card, please refer to Law 12 of Fifa rules: http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footb...eing/laws-of-the-game/law/newsid=1290868.html

for Question 2: The initial injury time was : 3 minutes, after the incident, the turkish ref added an extra minute, you can review the last minutes in youtube.

Capello was really mean-minded complaining about ref, who as explained did not commit any important mistake against Russia while he forgot a penalty for Algeria.

For the Laser, it is very exaggerated to say that it affected Russia Goaly. It is *100 less annoying than sunlight during diurnal games. Besides, if we speak strictly law, there is no article to the best of my knowledge, treating this issue. So ref cant be blamed.

Prior to think of any punishment, you have to prove first that it is an Algerian supporter who did this and not a Brazilian or else.

Prior to think of any punishment, you have to prove first that it is an Algerian supporter who did this and not a Brazilian or else.

this is why i dont like punishing the clubs for racism, but rather failure to control the crowd. after all, its not the club that is racist. i also think this is why fines for racism amongst the fans is relatively low.

The Bentaleb thread is closed and I haven't seen it elsewhere so I'll post here. These are the comments by Tim Sherwood on Nabil Bentaleb in his column in the Independent:

Bentaleb is just right for Algeria – and Tottenham

I had a long chat with Nabil Bentaleb when he was considering his options for international football. He could have played for France, his place of birth. I said to him that he should not just join Algeria because they were at a World Cup finals. He said to me that he felt Algerian. That it was in his heart. In the end it was an easy decision.

Nabil’s rise has been unbelievable. But playing at the World Cup, getting into the second round with Algeria, I see the same determination in him that first day he came in to Spurs for a trial.

He had been released by Dunkerque and first went on trial at Birmingham City. They took him for a couple of days and turned him down. I felt that we needed to see him over a longer period to get a proper idea of what he could do.

He had hunger and desire in training. His work ethic was fantastic. From the development sides right into the first team he showed everyone the way. He was a skinny kid when he came to us but he backs himself all the time in tackles with bigger players. He really cares. When we went out the Europa League to Benfica, he was in tears in the dressing room afterwards.

Nabil is not afraid of anyone. He is perfect for the way that Algeria play, with a pressing game. I tended to use him in a more defensive role, mainly because I knew I could trust him to do what I asked. But in his development at Spurs he has been a box-to-box midfielder and he has always scored goals in the junior age groups.

He still needs to develop and is not the finished article yet but in the future he could be that kind of goalscoring midfelder.

If Mauricio Pochettino is looking for that sort of player, then Nabil is perfect. He has to play regularly, though, if his development is to continue.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...al--but-some-managers-are-actors-9569445.html

Back