• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group H - Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Belgium and Algeria

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Belgium and Russia

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Belgium and South Korea

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Algeria and Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Algeria and South Korea

• Russia and South Korea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Belgium

Qualified as UEFA Group A winners.

Have previously participated in 11 World Cups: 1930, 1934, 1938, 1954, 1970, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998 and 2002

Previous best: 4th place in 1986

FIFA World ranking: 11

Everyone’s favorite dark horse candidate this summer. Coach Marc Wilmots has done a terrific job of continuing Georges Leekens's work to turn around the country since taking over full time in 2012, and has shown promise with tactics and squad selection which should serve them well in the tournament. With depth in most positions on the team, the Belgians should have a strong chance to fulfill their promise and should be a hard draw for any team. Their 4th place in 1986 is the only time they've progressed past round 2.

Squad:

GK: Courtois (Chelsea, on loan to Atletico Madrid), Mignolet (Liverpool), Bossut (Zulte Waregem)

DF: Alderweireld (Atletico Madrid), Vermaelen (Arsenal), Kompany (Emirates Marketing Project), Vertonghen (Tottenham), Van Buyten (Bayern Munich), Lombaerts (Zenit), Vanden Borre (Anderlecht), Ciman (Standard Liege)

MF: Witsel (Zenit), De Bruyne (Wolfsburg), Fellaini (Man United), Hazard (Chelsea), Mirallas (Everton), Defour (Porto), Dembele (Tottenham), Januzaj (Man United), Chadli (Belgium)

FW: Lukaku (Chelsea, on loan to Everton), Mertens (Napoli), Origi (Lille)

Algeria

Qualified by beating Burkina Faso on away goals in a CAF playoff.

Have previously participated in 3 World Cups: 1982, 1986 and 2010

Previous best: Have never progressed past round 1

FIFA World ranking: 22

The Algerians will be pressing hard to improve on their showing from four years ago in South Africa, where they didn’t manage to score a single goal in their three matches. Bosnian Coach Vahid Halilhodžić took Ivory Coast on a two-year unbeaten run to qualify for both the 2010 African Cup of Nations and the World Cup, but was fired after they were eliminated in extra time in the ACN quarter finals by... Algeria. He did make two World Cup appearances as a player for Yugoslavia in 1982.

Squad:

GK: Mohamed (CS Constantine), Zemmamouche (UCM Alger), M'Bolhi (CSKA Sofia)

DF: Bougherra (Lekhwiya), Ghoulam (Napoli), Belkalem (Watford), Halliche (Academica), Mesbah (Livorno), Medjani (Valenciennes), Cadamuro-Bentaïba (Mallorca), Mandi (Reims)

MF: Yebda (Udinese), Feghouli (Valencia), Brahimi (Granada), Lacen (Getafe), Bentaleb (Tottenham), Djabou (Club Africain), Taider (Inter), Mahrez (Leicester), Mostefa (Ajaccio)

FW: Ghilas (Porto), Slimani (Sporting), Soudani (Dinamo Zagreb)

Russia

Qualified as UEFA Group F winners.

Have previously participated in 9 World Cups: 1958, 1962, 1966, 1970, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1994 and 2002

Previous best: 4th place in 1966

FIFA World ranking: 18

Since the arrival of former England manager Fabio Capello and a change in tactics, Russia have started looking like a serious European contender. Breezing through qualification in a group that included World Cup regulars Portugal, Russia proved more than once to be a capable opponent. With a squad completely based in Russia, the team will also have the advantage of familiarity, which other squads often lack due to players spread worldwide in various leagues.

Squad:

GK: Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow), Lodygin (Zenit), Ryzhikov (Rubin Kazan)

DF: Kozlov (Dynamo Moscow), Schennikov (CSKA Moscow), Ignashevich (CSKA Moscow), Semyonov (Terek Grozny), Granat (Dynamo Moscow), Berezutski (CSKA Moscow), Yeshchenko (Dynamo Moscow), Kombarov (Spartak Moscow)

MF: Denisov (Dynamo Moscow), Glushakov (Spartak Moscow), Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow), Mogilevets (Rubin Kazan), Shatov (Zenit), Fayzulin (Zenit)

FW: Kanunnikov (Rubin Kazan), Kokorin (Dynamo Moscow), Kerzhakov (Zenit), Zhirkov (Dynamo Moscow), Samedov (Lokomotiv Moscow), Ionov (Dynamo Moscow)

South Korea

Qualified as AFC Group A runners-up.

Have previously participated in 8 World Cups: 1954, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010

Previous best: 4th place in 2002

FIFA World ranking: 55

South Koreans have had a tough 2013 and have severely fallen off in the minds of supporters and critics. A tough qualification campaign and a lack of consistent attack have led to some questions, and new coach Hong Myung-Bo will be under pressure to provide the tactics and squad that will create the most goals for his team. Like Belgium, apart for the one 4th place finish they have never progressed past round 2.

Squad:

GK: Jung (Suwon Bluewings), Kim (Ulsan Hyundai), Lee (Busan I'Park)

DF: Kim (Kashiwa Reysol), Yun (QPR), Kwak (Al-Hilal), Kim (Guangzhou Evergrande), Hwang (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Lee (Ulsan Hyundai), Hong (Augsburg), Park (Mainz)

MF: Kim (Cardiff), Ha (Beijing Guoan), Koo (Mainz), Han (Kashiwa Reysol), Park (Guangzhou R&F), Ki (Sunderland), Lee (Bolton)

FW: Son (Bayer Leverkusen), Park (Watford), Lee (Sangju Sangmu), Kim (Ulsan Hyundai), Ji (Augsburg)

GROUP H SCHEDULE:

June 17: Belgium vs. Algeria in Belo Horizonte; Russia vs. South Korea in Cuiaba

June 22: Belgium vs. Russia in Rio de Janeiro; South Korea vs. Algeria in Porto Alegre

June 26: South Korea vs. Belgium in São Paulo; Algeria vs. Russia in Curitiba

Potentially a very close group I think. I suppose Belgium will be the big favourites, but I could see both South Korea and Russia give them problems. Algeria will obviously be awesome too as they have Bentaleb. ;)

Could be some great games here. South Korea are often entertaining and Belgium have a lot of exciting players.

Belgium def. Algeria.
Russia/Korea draw.
Belgium def. Russia.
South Korea def. Algeria
South Korea/Belgium draw.
Russia def. Algeria

Finally we get to the business end of the first round of matches, Comrade Fabio winning me loads of money for the sweepstake.

Pretty confident about today's game. I think our young players, especially Kokorin, Shatov and Fayzulin may impress many people.
However, next two games will be much more difficult.

Pretty confident about today's game. I think our young players, especially Kokorin, Shatov and Fayzulin may impress many people.
I'm interested in seeing Russia. With all of their players playing domestically, they are a bit of an unknown element.

What about Dzagoev ? He is 24 today. Are you not expecting him to do well in this WC ?
I have been following Russia since the Soviet Union days. So want them to do well. With them hosting the next WC in 2018, it is important for them to make an impact in this WC. Will be very disappointed and annoyed if they don't finish above Algeria and South Korea and progress to the next stage.

Any reason why Dzyuba never got the call up?

The whole world will be keenly watching how Belgium play against Algeria. With a team full of big-name starts, Belgium are rated as the 5th favourite team to win the WC, behind, Brazil, Spain, Argentina and Germany. So all the pressure is on Belgium. Let's see if they can perform to their best ability. They cannot afford to slip up as they need to top the group to avoid meeting Germany in the next round.

Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic: "With the Belgian defense, they are not all Ferraris, you know. Belgium does have a certain weakness here"

What about Dzagoev ? He is 24 today. Are you not expecting him to do well in this WC ?
Dzagoev has some problems with finding himself in Capello's playing model. He wasn't always in the starting line-up under Capello, but due to Shirokov's injury he's pretty certain to play today. He also sometimes goes mental which affects his perfomances and even ends in red cards.
However, he's still a bright player who can produce moments of magic. He was also Russia's best player during last Euro as you've seen.

I expect us to play (and would like it) with next line-up:
-------------------Akinfeev-------------------
-Eshenko--Ignashevich--Berezutskii--Kombarov-
------Glushakov/Denisov-----Shatov-----------
--Samedov--------Dzagoev-----------Zhirkov--
-------------------Kokorin---------------------

Fayzulin can become a good option from the bench

That's pretty young and entertaining squad. I reckon most people haven't heard much of these players except Zhirkov, Denisov, Dzagoev, Akinfeev and may be our central defenders as they play for national team and CSKA Moscow for ages.

I have been following Russia since the Soviet Union days. So want them to do well. With them hosting the next WC in 2018, it is important for them to make an impact in this WC. Will be very disappointed and annoyed if they don't finish above Algeria and South Korea and progress to the next stage.
Thanks for positive words and position. Not much of this is heard during recent times ;)
Where are you from?

Last edited:
Any reason why Dzyuba never got the call up?
I met and talked to him when he got to the widened list of players. He said it was still under debate if he travels, but due to his manner of speaking (mainly about Capello) I gained an impression Fabio isn't big admirer of Dzyuba. As it's rumoured because of Dzyuba's weak technical arsenal and Capello's model to play as fastly as possible with the ball. He thinks Dzyuba isn't suited to it. It has sence but I and a bigger half of russians would have taken Dzyuba to WC as a bench option (instead of Kannunikov) but Capello has a very good reputation and his decision was understood so there are no problems around.

Last edited:
Courtois
Alderweireld - Van Buyten - Kompany - Vertonghen
Witsel - Dembele
de Bruyne - Hazard - Chadli
Lukaku​

THAT TEAM!!

Back