• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group H - Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Belgium and Algeria

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Belgium and Russia

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Belgium and South Korea

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Algeria and Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Algeria and South Korea

• Russia and South Korea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tim said:
If Mauricio Pochettino is looking for that sort of player, then Nabil is perfect. He has to play regularly, though, if his development is to continue.

That's a good piece and I hope Bentaleb does become that player Sherwood's thinks he will become. I've been very impressed with the young man and could easily see him developing into a regular first team player. Actually I thought he should have got a few more run outs towards the end of last season but Sherwood was reluctant to use him for reasons only known to himself. Reasons that don't quite tally with his comments at the end of the piece either, but that's nit picking.

Jan Vertonghen believes his Belgium team-mate Divock Origi has what it takes to be a success at the top end of the Premier League amid interest from Liverpool.

The Tottenham full-back followed up a shot from Origi to net the winner in Thursday’s 1-0 victory over South Korea secured the Red Devils a fixture with USA in the World Cup Round of 16.

And following reports that the Anfield side have shown interest in the Lille striker, Vertonghen says the 19-year-old can be a big hit if a move materialises.

"He has the qualities to play for a good team in the Premier League and I think he shows it every game," Vertonghen told reporters.

"He has come on in every game, and he's changed games for us.

"He has the qualities to go to a bigger league, but obviously with Lille playing in the Champions League we'll see."

Origi and Adnan Januzaj are the two youngest players in the Belgian World Cup squad, and Vertonghen has also backed the Manchester United star to fulfill his immense promise.

"Januzaj is someone a bit like Origi, there's no pressure and he plays like he's on the street. He did well against South Korea, he kept possession and he worked very hard. I saw him a couple of times playing balls from our end so I'm very happy with him and how he played in that game," added Vertonghen.

"It's lovely to see, and it reminds me how old I am! He's a great guy and such a good player so I hope he can get to play more games here and at United to show just how good he is.

"He feels no pressure. He's a guy with so many qualities and he's shown that next season he could be one of the best players in the Premier League."

The 27-year-old will return to Spurs after the tournament to find a new face in the manager’s office after Mauricio Pochettino replaced Tim Sherwood as boss. And Vertonghen is sure the club can progress under the ex-Southampton and Espanyol coach.

"I've heard some good stories about our new manager so I'm looking forward to meeting him and talking to him and we'll see what's going to happen this summer but I'm very confident about Tottenham next season."

Well done to Vertonghen for scoring against South Korea. Atleast we have a Spurs player scoring a goal at this WC.

I stayed on Cyprus for a vacation and I've seen games against Belgium and Algeria there.
I would like to mention my main thoughts about these games and judje our overall perfomance:

1. vs Belgium:
Much progress from Russia in comparison with 1st game against Korea. Capello's choice to keep playing with Akinfeev was obvious and right. But no Dzagoev, Denisov, Kerzhakov in the starting line-up was strange and incorrect. His subs were too late. I don't get FB's logics. As well as nearly all national team supporters.
Both teams played defensively minded. Russia could and should have scored a couple of times (mainly after Kokorin's free header). There was a penalty claim after foul on Kanunnikov, but this incident has been forgotten as soon as the final whistle was blown and even wasn't mentioned in the media. Lukaku has been absolutely anonymous for two games already. If he is covered, it's like playing 10vs11. Belgium was poor and overall we didn't deserve to loose, but we still managed to do it.

2. vs Algeria:
Again strange team selection. Glushakov SHOULD have been benched for 2nd match in a row, still he started. Shatov again in start, Dzagoev on bench...
Team started well. Kombarov with his ~20th effort has finally produced a great cross (in fact his 2nd great cross on the tournament). Kokorin apologized for his miss against Belgium with a great header. Algeria didn't produce a lot of danger during the game, but nearly all danger came from wings where Kombarov and Kozlov lost everything they only could. Time after time Algerian players won easy headers, but Akinfeev played really well and saved us couple of times... until the situation with lazer, another goalkeeper's mistake and conceded goal. I told my GF one minute before the equaliser that by the way things stand we're going to concede from a header and then will struggle desperately to get a win. I should also mention that coming from the line has always been a weak thing for Akinfeev as he isn't very tall and has teared up his ligaments two times already, which can also be a limiting fear factor in his displays.

Conclusions:
1. That was the weakest group on WC. As was fully expected...
2. Algeria overperfomed which was also proven with yesterday's solid display against Germany. Rather expected, rather not. Algeria and its fans must be proud of their team. Gave everything they could, ran their legs out. Successfully ended nearly record goal draught, scored 4 goals in 1 match which neither African nation did before. Progressed to 1/8 first time in their history and fought bravely against one of the WC favourites.
3. Belgium and Russia underperfomed. Belgium showed rather low perfomance quality (5th WC favourites before the tournament started? They hardly belong to top-8 judjing what we saw). Russia, in addition - poor result.
4. Not many words are said in Russian media about lazers, any kind of injustice or referee mistakes. Capello spoke more about lazer than anybody else. Even Akinfeev said, it didn't become the main factor he made a mistake.
Russia should have done better - both in attack and defence (mainly on wings). That's unacceptable for the highest paid national manager not to progress to 1/8 from such an easy group. When I say "easy" I don't mean countries' names or statuses, but their quality of perfomance.
Main critics are gone to FC, his sh*t team selection and late subs, Dzyuba's not inclusion in final squad. Some critics - to his style of play, but as for me it was obvious just after his appointment that he won't repeat Hiddink's entertaining team model and will bring known "italian" style to the team. Akinfailov and Kombarov also deservedly took much blame. Two aged central defenders named as best players is also shameful news.

Russia could have progressed to 1/8 only to be smashed by Germany there if we were a bit more clinical in the final third or with the help of some referee decisions, which haven't been called. But I can't say we deserved it because such things as luck and referee shouldn't affect your overall result and perfomance during 3 games. Anyway, Algerian players showed how to fight for their country which we again lacked during some moments especially in the final game.

Another final stage, another upset, another poor perfomance. As for me I got used to it. Just like many England supporters I think.
I don't know if Capello will stay. It's 50/50 for me now, but we'll know soon.
At least we "qualified" to WC 2018...

Last edited:
Back