• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group G - Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Germany and Portugal

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Germany and USA

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Germany and Ghana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal and USA

• Portugal and Ghana

• USA and Ghana

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like the US because of Jurgen, but must admit when the cameras focus on the fans in the stands their general American-ness - normally involving loudly being proud of being American - upsets my English reserve ;)

1-0 to the Germans and 1-1 in the other one, door open for Ghana maybe?

How many goals are in it now between USA and Portugal?

More relevantly how many for Ghana? Gyan just missed a great chance.

Edit: I think another goal for Ghana would put them ahead on goals scored.

Last edited:
Come on Portugal

USA I want you to lose but want you through so ****ing defend you ****s.

Watched a bit of both games, almost regret watching any of that.

Germany - USA was decent in the first 20 minutes or so, but faded so I switched channels. Portugal - Ghana was tremendously uninspiring. A couple of goals, but both teams really could and should have done so much more. Surprised to see Ghana so poor after their brilliant game against Germany. I know they missed Muntari and Prince-Boateng, but still. Portugal were there for the taking at 1-1, but even with just 10 minutes to go Ghana were seemingly looking to sit back and counter attack.

Portugal were slightly better than in their first two games, but still massively underwhelming. Could have made it interesting in the end, but Ronaldo let them down. Up until then most of the players let them down. Good riddance to Portugal, shame about Ghana being so inconsistent, best of luck to the US.

USA

I apologise to any Americans in advance, please don't take this personally.

But does anyone else have a bitter feeling about the US team. People are talking about this being the watershed moment for football in the US and tv audiences setting new records etc. But does anyone get a rather bad feeling that if it is the watershed moment it will be just a matter of time before the US is winning the world cup and dominating the international stage.

I can see it being a case of the USA throwing a ridiculous amount of money into it and becoming a major force and with it starting to influence the game. I already see they have a fan HQ in Brazil unlike any other national team with celebrities attending and now this really 'cheesy' chant - i believe that we will win, and it looks like there fans have outdone England's. I seriously can see it being a case of 'we will stop at nothing to win the world cup' if the popularity sky rockets and than there is the added possibilities of them creating a domestic league with the sort of money that blows the premier league away. Im sure they could if they wanted have enough influence to wrangle there way into playing into the champions league somehow.

I would just really hate it it evolved so that English football, national and domestic was well and truly in their shadow. Its like its our game, I'm happy for you to play but know your place.

Maybe I'm just a very bitter jealous England fan.

id actually quite like to see the US get into to football to a level where it rivals their more traditional sports. will take a few decades before it reaches that level though

Get real USA is more hated than us throughout the world, if they continue to improve they'll get all the dodgy decisions against them. As a nation they only follow winners a couple of years of failure and the fan base will disappear

Re: USA

I apologise to any Americans in advance, please don't take this personally.

But does anyone else have a bitter feeling about the US team. People are talking about this being the watershed moment for football in the US and tv audiences setting new records etc. But does anyone get a rather bad feeling that if it is the watershed moment it will be just a matter of time before the US is winning the world cup and dominating the international stage.

I can see it being a case of the USA throwing a ridiculous amount of money into it and becoming a major force and with it starting to influence the game. I already see they have a fan HQ in Brazil unlike any other national team with celebrities attending and now this really 'cheesy' chant - i believe that we will win, and it looks like there fans have outdone England's. I seriously can see it being a case of 'we will stop at nothing to win the world cup' if the popularity sky rockets and than there is the added possibilities of them creating a domestic league with the sort of money that blows the premier league away. Im sure they could if they wanted have enough influence to wrangle there way into playing into the champions league somehow.

I would just really hate it it evolved so that English football, national and domestic was well and truly in their shadow. Its like its our game, I'm happy for you to play but know your place.

Maybe I'm just a very bitter jealous England fan.

It is only a matter of time before we win the world cup. It's inevitable due to our large population and influx of immigrants who actually like the sport. We currently field a very competitive team with guys who aren't even close to the best athletes in our country. However, unless we win the world cup this year, which we won't, it won't be a watershead moment. Americans love America, not football. Most of us are excited that America is doing well in something. Once it's over most of us won't care about football, same as it's always been.

The only thing that will change is when our best athletes stop going to the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL instead of the MLS. That will only happen when there is money and prestige in the MLS, which will take quite some time. No kid from the Bronx in NYC wants to go play for Real Madrid or Man United. They don't even know where Manchester is. They want to play for the Yankees or the Knicks (make millions, be in rap videos, etc). Until that changes, we won't be consistently dominant in football. But if it does, and our top athletes actually choose football over other sports, we will be the best team in the world. Not sure it'll ever happen though.

It is only a matter of time before we win the world cup.

I don't believe that is true (or at least inevitable). There are plenty of great footballing nations who have never won it and there are two very good ones (France and Spain) who had to wait until relatively recently to win it. I think that you would require a lot of good fortune to be in with a chance of winning it now and you will have to take several steps up to be serious contenders. Even then you will only have something like a one in five or six chance of winning it.

I hear lots about football gaining in popularity in the US and from afar it does appear that it is beginning to gain a foothold. Whilst it is possible that football will continue to grow in the States, it is also possible that right now is a high water mark and that its popularity will decrease. Everything is cyclical and what is popular today, will fall out of fashion tomorrow.

I don't believe that is true (or at least inevitable). There are plenty of great footballing nations who have never won it and there are two very good ones (France and Spain) who had to wait until relatively recently to win it. I think that you would require a lot of good fortune to be in with a chance of winning it now and you will have to take several steps up to be serious contenders. Even then you will only have something like a one in five or six chance of winning it.

I hear lots about football gaining in popularity in the US and from afar it does appear that it is beginning to gain a foothold. Whilst it is possible that football will continue to grow in the States, it is also possible that right now is a high water mark and that its popularity will decrease. Everything is cyclical and what is popular today, will fall out of fashion tomorrow.

That's a very fair point. I probably should have said that it's likely that we would be a top ranked (or the top ranked) team in the world. That might be more likely than winning the WC (given our position in CONCACAF too).

That's a very fair point. I probably should have said that it's likely that we would be a top ranked (or the top ranked) team in the world. That might be more likely than winning the WC (given our position in CONCACAF too).

You might have a good chance of coming top of the FIFA rankings but no one takes those seriously ;)

You might have a good chance of coming top of the FIFA rankings but no one takes those seriously ;)

Didn't we end up 6th in those a few years back after an abysmal campaign?

I think the feeling from some English fans on here is understandable. I've a mate at work (an English guy) who is a massive NFL fan, watches a lot of matches and knows quite a bit. Anyways he was on holiday and got to sit in a bar one day that was showing a game and he was basically looked down on by the American's in the bar despite actually knowing his stuff. Much in the way that some fans can't take the USA team being good at a sport that isn't there's, these guys were of the same mind, that an English guy can't know what's going on in a sport that isn't his. I guess it's kind of a possessive/protective attitude that fans have, but I don't think it's limited to just us and this one sport.

Last edited:
I'm going to support the USA now that England is out. Firstly it'd be good for us if our Belgians are back in pre-season sooner rather than later; secondly for Jurgen; thirdly for the fact I love going to the states but mostly because it would be a great story that not only would a new country win the competition but a new region entirely to upset the applecart.

Back