• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group G - Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Germany and Portugal

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Germany and USA

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Germany and Ghana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal and USA

• Portugal and Ghana

• USA and Ghana

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd rather see the best players in the latter stages yes. I'd rather see Iniesta, fabregas etc than Dempsey for example!!
So you don't care about the best teams advancing, you only care about names?

Hmm....

With that line of thinking we shli6just accept the fact that Tottenham will never be a CL team because Man U, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool all are bigger names with bigger name players.

No real reason to play next season for us then, is there?

Maybe it's the competitive person i am, maybe it's because I don't fall victim to Euro-centrism, maybe it's because i think to be considered the best (or one of) you need to beat the best. Hell, maybe it's because I'm a "ignorant American".

You can see the difference im style of play, energy, and overall look of interest on players faces during games with Spain, England, Portugal, etc... they feel liie they are entitled to be there and got their asses handed to them because of it.

What are you goimg to do when the day comes that thw US gets back to the final four, and maybe even wins the thing? Its going to happen, and sooner than you want to admit. The US viewership this world cup is up 126% over 2006...think about that. The US has been decent with 99% of the country ignoring the sport until the past 4 or 5 years. The sport is exploding here and is only going to continue. We have 300 milliom people to draw athletes from and at some point the athletes picking this sport over football or basketball will be extremely talented. Think abput the fact that our teams have traditionally been made out of our 4th or 5th tier of "elite" athletes. What's going to happen when that moves into pulling from the top couple tiers? It's starting to happen due to the concussion issue American football, young kids playing futbol more and more.

Better be careful or soon us "ignorant Yankee ****ers" wil not only pass but blow by the mighty Brits.
Sent from my S4 using Fapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

Last edited:

Hmm....

Spain probably are the best team. Of course they have massively under performed in this tournament but I'd much rather see their style of football to that of a lesser nation ie Ghana or Algeria or another smaller country yes.

I waS really impressed with USA last night. Moved the ball around inteliigently, created good chances, defended in a risky fashion but it was effective. Portugal stank the place out and I'd much rather the Americans progress from this group along with Germany.

Hmm....

With that line of thinking we shli6just accept the fact that Tottenham will never be a CL team because Man U, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool all are bigger names with bigger name players.

Maybe it's the competitive person i am, maybe it's because I don't fall victim to Euro-centrism, maybe it's because i think to be considered the best (or one of) you need to beat the best. Hell, maybe it's because I'm a "ignorant American".

You can see the difference im style of play, energy, and overall look of interest on players faces during games with Spain, England, Portugal, etc... they feel liie they are entitled to be there and got their asses handed to them because of it.

What are you goimg to do when the day comes that thw US gets back to the final four, and maybe even wins the thing? Its going to happen, and sooner than you want to admit. The US viewership this world cup is up 126% over 2006...think about that. The US has been decent with 99% of the country ignoring the sport until the past 4 or 5 years. The sport is exploding here and is only going to continue. We have 300 milliom people to draw athletes from and at some point the athletes picking this sport over football or basketball will be extremely talented. Think abput the fact that our teams have traditionally been made out of our 4th or 5th tier of "elite" athletes. What's going to happen when that moves into pulling from the top couple tiers? It's starting to happen due to the concussion issue American football, young kids playing futbol more and more.

Better be careful or soon us "ignorant Yankee ****ers" wil not only pass but blow by the mighty Brits.

Wow, is there some beef between you and Roy from previously in this thread or some other thread going on or was this just some random rant aimed at no one in particular?

------------------------

I was super impressed by the US yesterday by the way, deserved to win it and hope either yourselves or Ghana go through as the second placed team and hope Portugal go home and practice more.

Hmm....

Whilst Im not commenting on the original point you guys were discussing I do agree with your points regarding the game in the US. When Soccer gets to a serious level there I can see them producing very astute athletes. The only thing that would worry me, and maybe I am wrong. Is that the US sports systems put a lot of emphasis on tangibles. Like Speed, height, strength etc. This can all be very useful in creating a good team. But we have also to take note that this is one of the problems that has held england back. To much emphasis at the youth level on physical prowess and not the technical ability. Watching the US team reminds me a lot of watching England. And I dont think they are that far off each other at world level.

The Womens US soccer team is a good example. There are some very bad players at womens level for a lot of nations. But the US team is always at the Top due to the physical side of the game and that their players are at the top of that.

Whilst the US certainly has a lot of people to draw form in terms of athletes. Side Like Holland, Chille and even Portugal have shown its not the amount of population that makes the difference but the coaching and talent at the technical level. I really hope that England start to take on some of what Hoddle has been saying for a long time, but I also feel the US needs to do the same.

Wow, is there some beef between you and Roy from previously in this thread or some other thread going on or was this just some random rant aimed at no one in particular?

------------------------

I was super impressed by the US yesterday by the way, deserved to win it and hope either yourselves or Ghana go through as the second placed team and hope Portugal go home and practice more.
No beef but aimed mostly at roy, or anyone else that feels its better to have a **** England team rather than a team who actually deserve to be there even without the big name players or history.

What's going to be the reaction from those people when the US does advance and win the WC at some point. It's going to happen

No beef but aimed mostly at roy, or anyone else that feels its better to have a **** England team rather than a team who actually deserve to be there even without the big name players or history.

What's going to be the reaction from those people when the US does advance and win the WC at some point. It's going to happen

But all he said was that he would rather see the best players, he would rather see Iniesta and Fabregas than Dempsey. I rate Dempsey, but those two are different class to him, I think most would agree.

He didn't say that who the biggest teams are couldn't change. In fact not that long ago I'm guessing Spain wouldn't have been included in that as they just about never did well at big tournaments and their team was much weaker. He didn't say that the US couldn't get better, or that he didn't want you guys to improve. He just said that he wanted to watch the best players and teams.

If the US steps up and keeps improving to the point where they become contenders, develop world class players and they keep playing good or decent football I'm sure some people will be all euro-centric about it, but most people really won't. People have gotten really excited about non-European teams like South Korea, Ghana, Chile, Cameroon, Mexico etc in the past. Someone that says he wants to watch the best players will probably be super happy to see a US team with top class players do well.

Edit: And did he call you an ignorant American?

Portugal are very fortunate to be still in the WC. They hardly played like a team aiming to win the WC. Thought they will be fired up after scoring the early goal but they couldn't lift their game after that. The Americans did well to equalise and take the lead, especially Dempsey who scored his second goal of the WC. Ronaldo had a poor game but came up with the crucial assist for their goal deep in injury time. Based on this performance, just can't see Portugal progressing to the next round. Can see Ghana beating Portugal in the next match.

Even if Portugal win somehow, can see the US and Germany playing for a draw. Somehow can see Klinsmann and the Germany having a gentleman's agreement to draw. The Germans have done it before, when they unshamedly played out a "friendly" 1-0 win over Austria in 1982 WC to enable both teams to progress at the expense of Algeria. So, won't be surprised if Germany and US end up drawing to enable both to progress.

Looking at Portugal's poor form, it only proves the fact that almost all the European teams are struggling in this WC. Only exception has been France but they haven't been really tested so far. Netherlands did well to beat Spain but then it was against a poor Spain who had a man send off. Netherlands was then poor against Australia and fortunate to win. Maybe the hot climate have something to do with that, but you can see why no European team have done well in the WC when it is hosted in South America.

@Braineclipse no I didn't call him anything.

@Iowa lol I like your typical 'Americaness' I wish he had the same attitude as you guys but on the whole were defeatists.

Football is no doubt growing in USA but I very much doubt USA will ever make it to a quarter final let alone a semi final of a World Cup. Certainly not in my lifetime I should add. Lets see we'll find out in a week or two :)

Last edited:
But all he said was that he would rather see the best players, he would rather see Iniesta and Fabregas than Dempsey. I rate Dempsey, but those two are different class to him, I think most would agree.

He didn't say that who the biggest teams are couldn't change. In fact not that long ago I'm guessing Spain wouldn't have been included in that as they just about never did well at big tournaments and their team was much weaker. He didn't say that the US couldn't get better, or that he didn't want you guys to improve. He just said that he wanted to watch the best players and teams.

If the US steps up and keeps improving to the point where they become contenders, develop world class players and they keep playing good or decent football I'm sure some people will be all euro-centric about it, but most people really won't. People have gotten really excited about non-European teams like South Korea, Ghana, Chile, Cameroon, Mexico etc in the past. Someone that says he wants to watch the best players will probably be super happy to see a US team with top class players do well.

Edit: And did he call you an ignorant American?
Apologies for coming off as aggressively as I did. I'm not much of a morning person and I've been sitting in my office since 5 this morning and it came off worse than I had planned.

He didn't call anyone an ignorant America, though it's nearly impossible to discuss soccer/football as an American without that coming up at some point. It was preemptive, and wrong, on my part.

I agree watching the best players is fun, but I'd much rather watch good teams play than good players even if the good team doesn't have a world class superstar level player. Watching Portugal is/was painful for me. It's very much 10 guys standing and trying to force the ball to Ronaldo who is going to force a shot from anywhere on the pitch and then mope around if he doesn't get the shot. A team like the US (and I've even had a great time watching Japan, Algeria, etc.. who aren't big name teams but have played well together, IMO) doesn't have that 1 star player. While that is a hinderance it also forces the team to play smarter and more focused. To me, that is a much better style of football to watch.

The US, especially under Jurgen, is extremely fun to watch. All of the players have bought into what Jurgen wants and every move he makes seems to be gold right now. We also aren't a club, at this point, who are going to put our biggest names on the team if they don't show they are worthy of the spot - see Landon Donovan this year. From what I gather in most parts of the world he would be on the roster strictly because of who he is and not what he'd done during qualification and training.

Again, apologies for coming off like it it.

@Braineclipse no I didn't call him anything.

@Iowa lol I like your typical 'Americaness' I wish he had the same attitude as you guys but on the whole were defeatists.

Football is no doubt growing in USA but I very much doubt USA will ever make it to a quarter final let alone a semi final of a World Cup. Certainly not in my lifetime I should add. Lets see we'll find out in a week or two :)
Let's not forget that the US has more WC appearances than Portugal (10-6), a longer active streak of WC made than England (7-5) and a longer historical streak of WC made than England (7-6). The US has a third place finish (though it was many years ago). All this while failing to qualify between 1954 and 1990. Whil going 46 years between appearances for the US England has just 4 more total appearances (14-10).

The US won't be confused as a top flight, historically, country. Going forward, however, the US will continue to grow and improve. I don't know how old you are, but I fully expect that within my lifetime (assuming I don't meet an early end) the US will win a WC.

That "Americanness" is pride. It's passion. It's love. Americans may have it to a fault but it's one thing that will never be taken from us. The US doesn't get to where it is without it. The country is only 238 years old, most of the country wasn't settled until just before 1900 and didn't gain our 50th state until 1959. We have a lot of ground to make up when it comes to football. However, the drive that built American basketball, football, and baseball (for a while...it's now basically dead sadly) is hitting this sport. It won't happen in the next 2 or 3 world cups but it WILL happen.

There is no sense even trying if you don't think you can/will. As the great Ron Swanson once said

b0ce3cc593a401e771be304d2ceb237877e399dcef8be1a76b46135971dfe5de.jpg

Last edited:
I'm 30. How old are you? Hopefully I have another 10 world cups to see on my lifetime. There is no way on this earth I can see the USA winning one. I admire your passion I really do.

I'm 30. How old are you? Hopefully I have another 10 world cups to see on my lifetime. There is no way on this earth I can see the USA winning one. I admire your passion I really do.

As a whtle American male living in Iowa my average life expectancy is 77-78 years. That gives me 11, maybe 12 more world cups. The US will win one of them...at the very least get there.

Last edited:
Well at the very least every 4 years rest assured ill be thinking of you buddy and this discussion we've had!! I don't think you'll ever win one so its a lifetime battle!! :)

Well at the very least every 4 years rest assured ill be thinking of you buddy and this discussion we've had!! I don't think you'll ever win one so its a lifetime battle!! :)
I'd say the US is, at the very least, as close to winning one as England(that is to say that neither is likely to win in the next 12-16 years)...and at least one of us is trending the right direction.:-";)

Last edited:
I think one of England or the USA will win the 2034 WC played in Antarctica

Back