• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group G - Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Germany and Portugal

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Germany and USA

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Germany and Ghana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal and USA

• Portugal and Ghana

• USA and Ghana

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that they are doing pretty well considering the players they lost to injuries before the tournament and the time of day (conditions) their games have been played at.

Its more about when it matters, when it comes to the crunch. For example in the last Euros when they lost to Italy. They bottled it, that's not very German is it.

Its more about when it matters, when it comes to the crunch. For example in the last Euros when they lost to Italy. They bottled it, that's not very German is it.

Germans have been notorious bottlers since 1990. Pretty much since they became just Germany.

1990: WEST GERMANY, world cup winners.
1992: GERMANY, lose euros final to denmark
1994: GERMANY, lose quarters to bulgaria in quarters
1996: GERMANY, just about defeated czech after extra time at euros
1998: GERMANY, lose to croatia in quarter finals of world cup
2000: GERMANY, knocked out in groups after gaining 1 point.
2002: GERMANY, lose in the final to Brazil
2004: GERMANY, again knocked out in groups at Euros, couldnt even beat Latvia or Czechs
2006: GERMANY, hosts of the world cup, one of the favourites, lose in semis to Italy.
2008: GERMANY, get to the final where defeated by Spain
2010: GERMANY, one of the favs as tournament progressed, once again lose to Spain, this time in semis.
2012: GERMANY, one of the favs once again, this time bottle in semi against Italy.

--

It's quite amazing that they keep getting so far in tournaments whether its semi finals or finals and then just losing or not living up to expectations. since they won at euro 96 they have progressed to the last 4 in 5 of the next 8 tournaments, failing to win anything.

i don't think losing in the semi's or in finals can be claimed as bottling it - unless you're losing to teams you are clear favorites against.

Yeah, if you consider what Germany have done over the past 20 years "bottling it", words fail at explaining what England have done.

Germans have been notorious bottlers since 1990. Pretty much since they became just Germany.

2004: GERMANY, again knocked out in groups at Euros, couldnt even beat Latvia or Czechs
2006: GERMANY, hosts of the world cup, one of the favourites, lose in semis to Italy.
2010: GERMANY, one of the favs as tournament progressed, once again lose to Spain, this time in semis.
2012: GERMANY, one of the favs once again, this time bottle in semi against Italy.

--

It's quite amazing that they keep getting so far in tournaments whether its semi finals or finals and then just losing or not living up to expectations. since they won at euro 96 they have progressed to the last 4 in 5 of the next 8 tournaments, failing to win anything.

And can we have the same comparison for Italy, Spain, Brazil and Argentina. You'll find that all of those have at some time "bottled" it in quarter and semi-finals.

I'll start with Argentina, they haven't got past the quarters since being runners-up in 1990 and failed to get out of the group stages in 2002.

Last edited:

--

Oh the memories, we were absolutely brilliant. That game againts Netherlands is still one of the best I have seen.

Oh the memories, we were absolutely brilliant. That game againts Netherlands is still one of the best I have seen.

Baros was outstanding, Euros has always been entertaining in my view. 2004 was the last time I enjoyed an international tournament until this world cup! despite Greece winning

--

Germany have simply lost the winning formula that the old West Germany had. Just imagine, West Germany won 3 WC and 2 Euro while Germany have only won 1 Euro so far. Germany were even lucky to win that Euro96 as they only won due to scoring 2 goals in injury time. And unlike W.Germany who produced unlimited talents, Germany now lack of real talents and had to include those "foreigners" as well. The fact they are still playing a 36-year old striker, Klose, just shows their lack of talents now.

It seems almost all the big teams, especially from Europe, are struggling at this WC. Only France and Netherlands have performed consistently so far. Even Germany struggled badly against Ghana. Ghana we unlucky not to beat Germany as they had many goal scoring chances which they wasted. They put Germany under a lot of pressure in the second half but failed to make them count. You have to ask why Ghana did not play like that against the US. They will only have themselves to blame if they don't progress to next round.

As for Germany, never thought Klose would still be playing for them at age 36. That has unfairly allowed him to equal Ronaldo's all-time record of scoring 15 goals in the World Cup. Unlike Ronaldo who scored 15 goals in the 1998/2002/2006 WCs and only played until age 30, Klose did that in 4 Wcs until age 36. I am sure Ronaldo could have scored more if he had played in 1 more WC until age 34. Also Ronaldo was outstanding in 2002, scoring 8 goals and helping Brazil win it while Klose has never been outstanding or helped Germany win the WC.

Unless one has a world cup like the Frenchman (Fontaine?), which I can't see even Messi managing in a modern world cup, then it is inevitable that longevity will be a big part. In some ways Ronaldo was a Klose-like figure in 2006. He scored to get the record but was a shadow of the great player he was before. My memory of Ronaldo has this world cup ingrained rather than some of the better moments. If he hadn't got the record, my memory of him would be better; the quest for the record focused attention on him in his lesser state. It's not an important record, just a stat for the trivia lists. On the other hand, eight goals on the way to a win is the stuff of legends.

Actually I don't know why Low doesn't come under more criticism. He has had a great set of players for 6 years or so but the Germans have underperformed at crucial moments.

tickle my balls with a feather. They are techincally better than they ever have been in my lifetime but they've lost that machine like winning mentality, even their club sides have blown it in the big stages, yes Bayern I'm looking at you. I expect them to get to the semis and not turn up as usual.

i don't think losing in the semi's or in finals can be claimed as bottling it - unless you're losing to teams you are clear favorites against.

It's the way they have lost those games. I had forgotten some of those defeats that Mumorn mentioned. Granted Italy are very good side but Germany completely stunk the place out in that Euro 2012 semi final. In fact, looking at those defeats above, I can't think of a single one where they could have been classed as unlucky.

And can we have the same comparison for Italy, Spain, Brazil and Argentina. You'll find that all of those have at some time "bottled" it in quarter and semi-finals.

I'll start with Argentina, they haven't got past the quarters since being runners-up in 1990 and failed to get out of the group stages in 2002.

Argentina and Brazil are both very hot and cold. They can be out of this world one day and totally inept like yesterday. I backed them to get to the final but part of me won't be surprised to see both of them out by the quarters.

Back