• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Final - Germany vs Argentina

At international level, he still needs to win a tournament 100% agree. But at club level I really don't think he has anything left to prove. In fact, it's hard to pick a player who has achieved more at club level.

Completely agree with that. All I've been saying in all my posts is that this was an opportunity missed for him.

2018 hell be 31.

By then hopefully Argentina realize how important he'll be centrally, would have developed a creative central midfielder and Lamela will aid him.

Because he never produced in the final doesn't necessarily mean he has not produced at a World Cup. He scored 3 important goals (4 goals in total) from an unfamiliar playmaker role and also produced a crucial asisst in the knock-outs. He produced in the games leading up to the final, the fact that Argentina struggled for goals in the knock-outs when the Messi goals dried up says it all really, an individual can only take you so far, it's a team game at the end of the day and if the team is not playing to the required standard you are not going to win any trophies. I still regard him as the best i've seen, and i also hold many other players that not won significant trophies in higher regard than plenty that have done so .For me, trophies go some way in determining a player's legacy, but ability at the end of the day is what should define a player.

That said, Messi just does not look right to me. His work-rate has dropped in the past couple of seasons but his lack of effort in games has become significantly more apparent after his injury problems. Doesn't look fully fit to me, that or the caution he displayed after coming back from injury has become an undesirable habit in his game.

Last edited:
Loved that final and I'm just looking through some of the posts made real time during the match. Mad.

I thought in the match both defenses were superb. Boateng and Demichelis were giants and I don't really rate either that highly to be honest. Schweinsteiger was top drawer and Kroos, bar a few mad moments, was superb. Lahm his usual excellent self and Mascherano did not deserve to be on the loosing side either. Fresh legs won it in the end really.

Really good final and who gives a **** if Messi is better than Maradona.

Really annoyed with Argentina and Messi ! This is a match they should have won easily but wasted all the chances they created. They had better chances than Germany but Higuain, Messi and Palacios wasted 3 one-on-one chance with the goalie which they should scored. Apart from the missed chance, found it very annoying that Messi wasted that freekick in the last minute of extra time. Instead of inspiring his team, Messi went missing just when his team needed him most.

I think Argentina were destined to win the WC until they put on that shyte all-blue shirt. It is a jinxed shirt for them as they also used it at the 1990 WC Final. For the record, Argentina won the WC in 1978 and 1986 wearing their traditional blue and white shirt. As soon I saw them wearing blue, I knew they will lose. Don't understand why they are so stupid to wear that unlucky shirt again in a WC final. They should have changed to a different colour. What a way to waste your best chance in 28 years to win the WC ! History books won't forgive Brazil and Argentina for letting an European team win the WC in South America !

Last edited:
At international level, he still needs to win a tournament 100% agree. But at club level I really don't think he has anything left to prove. In fact, it's hard to pick a player who has achieved more at club level.

Xavi. 1 more La Liga title than Messi and throw in 2 European Championships and a World Cup on top.

I don't watch much Spanish football and really only see Messi regularly in a handful of Champions League games each year but I though it was a bit strange how everytime time the camera panned to him he was standing on his own, or walking out for the 2nd half on his own, laying on his own before extra time. What type of character is? Is he a quiet bloke and is he the same for Barcelona as he looked last night. I have never really paid attention to it before but there was no hugs or fist pumps etc lol or even a quick chat with other players during breaks in play.
Is this just an Argentina thing?

Xavi. 1 more La Liga title than Messi and throw in 2 European Championships and a World Cup on top.

If we're only talking club level then I think Messi's hundreds of goals far outweigh 1 extra league title.

In the end I think exhaustion mattered a lot. The extra day's rest, not having to play even a full 90 minutes at full intensity compared to playing extra time. Argentina looked shattered in the last 15-20 minutes of normal time and going into extra time. From the bench Germany had more quality and that was decisive.

I was hoping for Argentina, always liked them. Felt sorry for them, but also happy for a wonderful German team. Thought Argentina had a fantastic tournament all in all, particularly considering Aguero was unfit/off form, they lost DiMaria to injury and Messi was probably not 100% either that team wasn't a team of superstars and they matched Germany in an entertaining final.

Glad to see Germany win it over someone like Brazil (and to some extent Holland). They have a wonderful team, so much talent, so many good players and a great attitude. Will be the team to beat going into the Euros in 2 years, would have been even if they had lost the final I suppose.

Still find it hard to believe and accept that an European team actually won the WC in South America ! How can you gave away a proud record of 84 long years just like that ? Blame it all on Brazil for being shyte despite hosting it. And blame it on Argentina for not making use of the chances they created in the Final.

I think this WC would have been more meaningfull if Brazil or Argentina had won it. They had more passion and romance for the World Cup, compared to any European team. They would have celebrated much more passionately compared to how Germany did it.

Still find it hard to believe and accept that an European team actually won the WC in South America ! How can you gave away a proud record of 84 long years just like that ? Blame it all on Brazil for being shyte despite hosting it. And blame it on Argentina for not making use of the chances they created in the Final.

I think this WC would have been more meaningfull if Brazil or Argentina had won it. They had more passion and romance for the World Cup, compared to any European team. They would have celebrated much more passionately compared to how Germany did it.

You're an old romantic really.

You're an old romantic really.

Frankly, I am a long time Argentina fan still feeling bitter about the defeat. Find it hard to believe Argentina lost this WC Final to Germany. Everything was pointing to an Argentina win. Everything seemed like going in Argentina's favour. And Germany had never won a WC since changing their name from West Germany. Thought they had been jinxed forever ! But Argentina's toothless attack ultimately cost them the WC. They simply wasted too many chances in the Final, at times trying to walk the ball into the next. And their failure to kill off Switzerland and Holland in normal time earlier also caused them to be tired coming into the Final.

But you have to agree that Latin American teams like Brazil, Argentina and Mexico view the WC much more highly than the Europeans. They would have celebrated more wildly than the Germans did. It is always enjoyable seeing wild celebrations compared to the limited celebrations by the Germans.

Frankly, I am a long time Argentina fan still feeling bitter about the defeat. Find it hard to believe Argentina lost this WC Final to Germany. Everything was pointing to an Argentina win. Everything seemed like going in Argentina's favour. And Germany had never won a WC since changing their name from West Germany. Thought they had been jinxed forever ! But Argentina's toothless attack ultimately cost them the WC. They simply wasted too many chances in the Final, at times trying to walk the ball into the next. And their failure to kill off Switzerland and Holland in normal time earlier also caused them to be tired coming into the Final.

But you have to agree that Latin American teams like Brazil, Argentina and Mexico view the WC much more highly than the Europeans. They would have celebrated more wildly than the Germans did. It is always enjoyable seeing wild celebrations compared to the limited celebrations by the Germans.

Lol I don't necessarily agree with that. It means a lot to the Germans. Look at their record in the world cup. It's phenomenal.

The Football Café @thefootballcafe · 12h
#GER in WC:

'54 Win
'58 SF
'62 QF
'66 Final
'70 SF
'74 Win
'78 QF
'82 Final
'86 Final
'90 Win
'94 QF
'98 QF
'02 Final
'06 SF
'10 SF
'14 Win

Argies did everything right. It was the dark blue kit. I knew it. If they had the classic kit like in 86 they would have won. Instead they had the dark blue like in 1990. It was written

Just a tip for young players. If you want to learn more about the worlds newest star, it's spelt gotze.

Although it may sound like goatse, do not google that. Please.

Lol I don't necessarily agree with that. It means a lot to the Germans. Look at their record in the world cup. It's phenomenal.

The Football Café @thefootballcafe · 12h
#GER in WC:

'54 Win
'58 SF
'62 QF
'66 Final
'70 SF
'74 Win
'78 QF
'82 Final
'86 Final
'90 Win
'94 QF
'98 QF
'02 Final
'06 SF
'10 SF
'14 Win

Argies did everything right. It was the dark blue kit. I knew it. If they had the classic kit like in 86 they would have won. Instead they had the dark blue like in 1990. It was written

Really stupid isn't it. Don't understand why Argentina never thought of retiring the shirt that lost them the WC in 1990. They could have used any other colour or pattern. But no, they chose to use the same shirt that they used in 1990. Also, don't understand why FIFA didn't let Argentina and Germany use their traditional colours. They are not really clashing as Argentina has blue-white shirt and dark shorts while Germany white-red shirts and white shorts.

Germany were quite clearly the favourites before the game. The Argentinians made it a close game that could have tipped either way.

Argentina also hasn't won a world cup since Germany changed their name from West Germany.

Germany were quite clearly the favourites before the game. The Argentinians made it a close game that could have tipped either way.

Argentina also hasn't won a world cup since Germany changed their name from West Germany.

Shhhh let him vent man. The man is clearly angry, I love a good irrational moan. I do it all the time

Shhhh let him vent man. The man is clearly angry, I love a good irrational moan. I do it all the time

Ah, alright. :)

Shame that the worst of the 3 big chances fell to Messi, I have a feeling he would have scored the chances Higuain and Palacios wasted. Also a real shame DiMaria was out, think he could have made the difference.

Ah, alright. :)

Shame that the worst of the 3 big chances fell to Messi, I have a feeling he would have scored the chances Higuain and Palacios wasted. Also a real shame DiMaria was out, think he could have made the difference.

True. (Although Germans could point to Gundogan and Reus being out too)

Back