• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
France are definitely in with a shout.

They should quite rightly stick with Giroud as a main focus up front. He does that job well. It then let's Griezman and Mbappe cause devistation as auxiliary strikers with their running and movement.

Varanne and Kante are top class and the right back and other CH very good. And Pogba is a wild card who may just show up and do something extraordinary.

They could just be growing into it nicely.

I would say though that the Argies were akin to the Gemans..ie...just waiting to get knocked out.

I like Messi better than Ronaldo, but the big question mark is how he'd fare in a different team/league. He's been great for Barca, but would he cut it in England? Germany? Ronaldo has delivered both in England and Spain, and has arguably performed better for his country than Messi too. With inferior players.

While it is a silly exercise to compare the two, if I had to choose, I'd pick Ronaldo for the above mentioned reasons. But most of all I try to appreciate them both - they will be remembered as two of the game's very best for years to come, and I was there to see them. (only on TV, but still)

Find it amazing that the cretin Argie manager kept chopping and changing his tactics in this World Cup.

He has, in my view, the greatest player to have ever played the game, and could have easily mimicked the 4-3-3 formation which Messi has played in so successfully in his career at Barca.

Aguero is similar in style to Suarez in that he’s an aggressive no 9 who runs behind the defence, and Dybala is similar in style to Neymar as a pacey wide forward which is a great dribbler. Play those two and Messi as a front 3.

In midfield Mascherano could have played the Busquets role and Banega is similar to Rakitic.

Not sure who they have for the Iniesta role but to me the line-up is relatively obvious yet he buggered around chopping and changing...which means they’re out!

I assume he’ll be fired very soon, just hope that Messi doesn’t quit international football

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Great goal! fudge Portugal. :D
So many good goals in this wc. Turning into something of a classic already. Long may it last!

Super goal, great run and a perfectly timed cross from Suarez. Should make an interesting game now!

How long has it been since Suarez last bit an opponent? He must be getting quite hungry. If this game gets a bit dirty, maybe he'll chew on Pepe. Could be legendary.

If Uruguay go full gas they should blitz Portugal, if they keep inviting them on Ronaldo will do something

Crosses eh? Nobody scores from them anymore. Or set-pieces. :p
I've never looked at the stats for international tournaments, but if there's anything more than confirmation bias in it then I suspect a lack of defensive familiarity and coaching time has an effect.

Edit: Also just realised that all the published stats are for the top European leagues. Might be that the prevalence of non European teams has something to do with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back