• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wisdom teeth removal

vkn17

Peter Taylor
It's GHod damn time.

I've been putting it off for long enough and discomfort is starting to get unbearable.

NHS will take too long as I want to get this done asap. Has anyone on here removed theirs privately? I'm looking for recommendations of private clinics in Central London. I live close to Stratford.

Thanks in advance.
V

had my top ones done by my local nhs dentist (with whom i'm a registered patient), didn't take to long and no real pain after

it was a preventative measure though, they were not causing me any problems but the dentist thought they might at some point, not sure if that makes a difference

I don't live in London, but I would guess most young or young-ish dentists using up to date methods should be fine.

I don't really see a need for a general anesthetic unless you have a severe phobia or the dentist recommends it for whatever reason.

Bring an mp3 player/phone/whatever and some ear buds. Stick them in to shield yourself form some of the noise and give yourself something else to think about while it's going on.

Thanks guys.

Not a fan of dentists but I don't think I need general anaesthetic. Both teeth have grown out so i don't think a surgical removal will be required as it should be pretty straightforward.

as my dentist explained to me, when they come out the gums relax

it's possible I'm just incredibly manly ;-) but if you have discomfort now it's likely the pressure of the wisdoms that is causing that, yeah you have a big hole in the gum line but it soon heals up

I'll repeat the caveat though, I had both my top ones out, maybe bottom ones are different

Dentistry is strange anyway. Last night, I had a filling done. I'd had an injection & anaesthetic cream on my gum which led to most of the tooth being numb but there was still a raw spot. The dentist couldn't explain why this was the case, he said that some pain is psychological, not overly surprising but not really the answer if everywhere else on the tooth was ok & it was just a certain spot that was agonising. I ended up having another injection & the anaesthetic then had the right effect. So 2 injections & some anaesthetic gel.

Anyway, my point is that we're all different. We all have different pain thresholds & just go with what you feel is comfortable. I apologised to my dentist for being a wimp but he was good to say that I wasn't lol, I felt like it being given the second injection. But, if you have a good dentist, they'll be understanding, will make sure that you are comfortable & then the whole procedure should be straightforward. Plus, there will be less pain afterwards due to removing what's causing the problem. Oh & my wisdom teeth never came through, which is a good thing..I think. But I have had a different tooth extracted before, as it had grown out at the wrong angle. The tooth was at the top & the back & other than breaking a bit in the process, the procedure itself was relatively simple.

Good luck for you with your work. I'd advise going private with your dentist. I have a private dentist and I'm happy to pay more. But, it's up to you as to whether you can afford more & if you would like to use the money by going to the dentist. As has been said above, the NHS dentists can be very good too.

AV-37-1228768613.jpg

really?

I was horizontal for 10 minutes tops, gum injections, pliers, pop, ibuprofen, on my way

3 days on AB's admittedly but that was just precautionary
As I understand it, numbing the area around wisdom teeth is far from an exact science.

Of course, general anaesthetic is even less of one but at least you won't feel any pain.

I haven't been to an NHS dentist for nearly 15years now so I can't comment on them but my dentist offers the option.

As I understand it, numbing the area around wisdom teeth is far from an exact science.

Of course, general anaesthetic is even less of one but at least you won't feel any pain.

I haven't been to an NHS dentist for nearly 15years now so I can't comment on them but my dentist offers the option.

I don't think the risk/benefit adds up unless you expect complications or have a proper phobia.

Dentistry is strange anyway. Last night, I had a filling done. I'd had an injection & anaesthetic cream on my gum which led to most of the tooth being numb but there was still a raw spot. The dentist couldn't explain why this was the case, he said that some pain is psychological, not overly surprising but not really the answer if everywhere else on the tooth was ok & it was just a certain spot that was agonising. I ended up having another injection & the anaesthetic then had the right effect. So 2 injections & some anaesthetic gel.

Anyway, my point is that we're all different. We all have different pain thresholds & just go with what you feel is comfortable. I apologised to my dentist for being a wimp but he was good to say that I wasn't lol, I felt like it being given the second injection. But, if you have a good dentist, they'll be understanding, will make sure that you are comfortable & then the whole procedure should be straightforward. Plus, there will be less pain afterwards due to removing what's causing the problem. Oh & my wisdom teeth never came through, which is a good thing..I think. But I have had a different tooth extracted before, as it had grown out at the wrong angle. The tooth was at the top & the back & other than breaking a bit in the process, the procedure itself was relatively simple.

Good luck for you with your work. I'd advise going private with your dentist. I have a private dentist and I'm happy to pay more. But, it's up to you as to whether you can afford more & if you would like to use the money by going to the dentist. As has been said above, the NHS dentists can be very good too.

Jesus! I would hate that to happen to me during wisdom teeth removal. Pretty certain I'll ask for an extra injection, just in case :) I plan on going to a private clinic and I'm quite happy to pay a bit extra for good and relatively pain free service.

I don't think the risk/benefit adds up unless you expect complications or have a proper phobia.
The risks of general are pretty small aren't they? I'm sure major complications are in the 1 in 10,000-100,000 region and that most minor ones are caused by extenuating circumstances.

I'd certainly call general 'safe' for an otherwise healthy person.

The risks of general are pretty small aren't they? I'm sure major complications are in the 1 in 10,000-100,000 region and that most minor ones are caused by extenuating circumstances.

I'd certainly call general 'safe' for an otherwise healthy person.

Sure. But the benefits are also rather small. With local anesthetic where it is at the moment we're pretty much talking discomfort and relatively little actual pain during the procedure. It's also fairly quick whereas a general will take up more of the day. The feeling after the procedure it's pretty much the same either way I would guess.

Just make sure to actually tell the dentist if there's real pain so they can give another shot and most people will be absolutely fine I think. I'm not a particularly "tough manly man", but the most uncomfortable thing about it when I took out a wisdom tooth was the sound and the strange feeling of a tooth missing and a hole up there in the following days/weeks. I've had hangover that's been orders of magnitude worse...

Very unlikely risk, but potentially huge downside if the lightening strikes. Very small benefit. Doesn't add up to me at least.

i've only had a general anaesthetic once (surgery after my appendix burst) and when I came around (and when the morphine wore off) I felt like I had been hit by a bus

Sure. But the benefits are also rather small. With local anesthetic where it is at the moment we're pretty much talking discomfort and relatively little actual pain during the procedure. It's also fairly quick whereas a general will take up more of the day. The feeling after the procedure it's pretty much the same either way I would guess.

Just make sure to actually tell the dentist if there's real pain so they can give another shot and most people will be absolutely fine I think. I'm not a particularly "tough manly man", but the most uncomfortable thing about it when I took out a wisdom tooth was the sound and the strange feeling of a tooth missing and a hole up there in the following days/weeks. I've had hangover that's been orders of magnitude worse...

Very unlikely risk, but potentially huge downside if the lightening strikes. Very small benefit. Doesn't add up to me at least.

I thought they close the hole with stitches?

It's calmed down a bit now since yesterday, it's not as annoying.

I have a dentist appointment booked in for July when I'm on holiday in Croatia (home) so i was planning to take them out then but yesterday the irritation made me want to do it straight away.

How long does it take before you can eat properly? I want to be able to enjoy the food back home :)

I didn't have stitches, they heal up real quick though

I was told not to eat until the pain killer had worn off (so as not to chew my mouth to pieces mainly), you can eat the same day, worst bit is 3 days of AB's so no booze

I thought they close the hole with stitches?

It's calmed down a bit now since yesterday, it's not as annoying.

I have a dentist appointment booked in for July when I'm on holiday in Croatia (home) so i was planning to take them out then but yesterday the irritation made me want to do it straight away.

How long does it take before you can eat properly? I want to be able to enjoy the food back home :)

Was a slight cavity there anyway and of course just the missing tooth. Felt strange was all...

Yeah, like gale says could eat the same day. I chewed on the other side for a bit, but otherwise was fine.

ah okay cool. i dont think i'll be able to chew on either side because im taking out both.

Soup on a straw should do!

Back