• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wiltshire and who should play for England comments

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
Might suprise some of you if you have ever read any comments i have made in political threads on the random side of this thread but i could not disagree more with wiltshire.

So what if someone was not born here i know plenty of people that have been here years and would consider themselves english, it seems to me the best player in the under 21 team was not born here either.

Not sure what defines a person as english but feel the F.A. have been a bit behind the time in looking at this, other countries notably france and germany are doing it with good results. I can remember when black players started making their way into the england team and it resulted in more black fans coming to watch the game. Always thought it would be quite good if we could asian players playing more in the premership as it would break down a few barriers.

As for getting people who have moved to the country recently to play for the national team, well it seems to me one of the few advantages to mass immigration that new labour forced on us, might as well have a decent national team. Worked for the cricket team, not that i watch that stupid ****ing sport.

What do you think, do you agree or disagree with wiltshire?

Glad you started a new thread on this Ben as it is an interesting debate.

The debate started after that young United lad was linked to the English NT - that was a stupid example as he's refused to play for the country of his birth (Belgium) so he's never going to wait 3 years to play for England. He'll play for Albania.

Defining a person as English is far more difficult than defining someone as British. And to be honest - with footie - some players will look for where the success is rather than what nationality they feel.

If I had to define myself as a footballer (not being 'English') then I'd say I'd play for North London FC - that is how I define myself. Perhaps why I put Tottenham ahead of anything else.

Jack Wheelchair "Only English players should play for England"..

That's a tad hypocritical coming from someone who's got so much Colombian in him.

I'm not Englihs, but the debate is fairly relevant for other countries too. The football weekly podcast summed it up nicely I thought.

Very few people disagree that players that either have close family ties to a country (parents from there) or have grown up in a country despite not being born there should be eligible.

Naturalized players is a different question. I'm not a fan personally.

Football weekly also said that the cricketers being discussed had parents from Britain, not sure if that's accurate as I don't follow cricket at all.

I'm not Englihs, but the debate is fairly relevant for other countries too. The football weekly podcast summed it up nicely I thought.

Very few people disagree that players that either have close family ties to a country (parents from there) or have grown up in a country despite not being born there should be eligible.

Football weekly also said that the cricketers being discussed had parents from Britain, not sure if that's accurate as I don't follow cricket at all.

Why any sane person would is beyond me.

My wife is Irish and i have told our son he can represent Britain or Ireland at tennis as long as i get some of the prize money. He shrugs and walks off, becoming a right stropey little **** he is.

Yes...

I'm not English, but the debate is fairly relevant for other countries too. The football weekly podcast summed it up nicely I thought.

It is kinda sad that I no longer follow any other sport but football. I used to love cricket, snooker, tennis. I remember watching pool games on TV. I used to know every boxing champ at every weight and contenders.
But now, mainly because of gambling, I think every other sport is bent. And football at the cheap end ain't so straight , either.

Dear Wheelchair,

**** off. That is all.

Kind regards, spursalot.

Such a stupid comment 'only English players should play for England'.. Well yes jack, the issue is how do you define who is English and who is not?

In my opinion he's made a nothing comment. He's actually managed to get everyone talking about it! but in effect he's said the vaguest comment that anyone can take in their own way. Five years isn't enough to make you English? Than how long is?

However he has managed to distract everyone from the fact that he smokes, which was probably the whole point of it.

Dear Wheelchair,

**** off. That is all.

Kind regards, spursalot.

Such a stupid comment 'only English players should play for England'.. Well yes jack, the issue is how do you define who is English and who is not?

In my opinion he's made a nothing comment. He's actually managed to get everyone talking about it! but in effect he's said the vaguest comment that anyone can take in their own way. Five years isn't enough to make you English? Than how long is?

However he has managed to distract everyone from the fact that he smokes, which was probably the whole point of it.

I thought being caught smoking was to distract everyone from the fact that he does a sh1tload of **censored**

Can understand Wheelchair's argument but not sure if that is realistic in football today. I think almost all the countries have used or willing to use atleast one player who were born elsewhere. Even Spain have used Marcus Senna who were key to them winning Euro2008. Germany have used many players as well. I think only Brazil and maybe Argentina have never used players born elsewhere.

All he's done is put more pressure on Hodgson and the rest of the players. Can you imagine the stick he will get if England fail to qualify? People will say well perhaps we need more foreigners.

Can understand Wheelchair's argument but not sure if that is realistic in football today. I think almost all the countries have used or willing to use atleast one player who were born elsewhere. Even Spain have used Marcus Senna who were key to them winning Euro2008. Germany have used many players as well. I think only Brazil and maybe Argentina have never used players born elsewhere.

Massive difference between players born elsewhere and examples like Senna.

That's a very good point and I guess the crux of why it was such a stupid thing for Wheelchair to say. Who is Wheelchair to determine who is "English"? Before Roy calls up a player, does he have to run it past Wheelchair to ensure said player is English enough?

This is why you get people like KP asking for a please explain.

Being English is not black & white. I'm sure Wheelchair has in his mind a bar set where one is English v non-English, but everyone sets the bar differently.

Australia have been screwed over several times as a minnow footballing nation. From the top of my head: Craig Johnstone, Tony Dorigo, Christian Vieri, Joey Didulica, some other Croat (who we knocked out of Germany 2006 - you like them apples?)

when i read the quotes, i picture Wheelchair sounding exactly like this ****ing mong.

[video=youtube;kjuNuqIev8M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuNuqIev8M[/video]

Massive difference between players born elsewhere and examples like Senna.

Can't see any difference in that. Senna was born in Brazil. He came to Spain in 2002, given Spanish citizenship in 2006 just before the 2006 WC and 2 years later helped them win Euro2008.

Can't see any difference in that. Senna was born in Brazil. He came to Spain in 2002, given Spanish citizenship in 2006 just before the 2006 WC and 2 years later helped them win Euro2008.

You don't see the difference between that and a kid born in a country then moving along with his parents to a new country as a young child where he grows up, learns the language of his new country and largely feels like he belongs in that country?

Back