• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Will Scott Parker be a spurs player on 2/9/13

Will Scott Parker be a spurs player on 2/9/13

• Yes

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 33 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How long are we going to keep flogging this horse?
Or is his bad form because he is "Just back from injury?"

We should look at present performances not past.

Basically, he hasn't become a terrible player overnight. It's just bad form now in my opinion. We know his limitations. Not saying he should start ahead of Dembele or Sandro, but he can still add value to the SQUAD.

And no, I don't think we should use injuries as an excuse, it does annoy me when fans do that, even when the player has been back for months.

Doubt M'Vila would leave Rubin so soon after joining them. I'm sure we can get a similarly-skilled player without all the headaches that might potentially come with him (heard he can be a bit tempestuous at times).[/QUOTE]

He got banned by the French FA for missing a curfew while on international duty( he is not the only 22 year old kid who has done that) apart from that he has no history of being a troublemaker.

No for me, i was at the game yesterday and the consensus among the fans is that he slows the game down too much, his better days are gone and i believe he is not suited to AVB's plans for the future.

The consensus all agree with you, very convenient.

I am not a Parker fan by any stretch of the imagination but against a team like Lyon he was trying to not play the obvious pass and for once the pirouettes were the right option. He also played a couple of really good through balls and made a couple of good tackles. Only one foul conceded all game, I believe unlike our inexperienced players who were handing the initiative away. He made a very positive contribution to the game IMO
He gave the ball away like others but Dembele infuriated me by not risking a forward pass, passing accuracy worse than Parker (? would love to see any stats) or backwards. And I am a big Dembele fan.

Edit: In answer to the thread question-no. Wages too high to be a sub-I expect Jake to be promoted.

Last edited:
He gave the ball away like others but Dembele infuriated me by not risking a forward pass, passing accuracy worse than Parker (? would love to see any stats) or backwards.

I don't have a chalkboard to show backwards/sideways passes.

The problem with the stats is the sheer number of passes both made makes them have decent passing accuracy, sideways and backwards passes make passing accuracy look good.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/68...e-UEFA-Europa-League-2012-2013-Lyon-Tottenham

They're 6th and 7th for passing accuracy on 88% and 89%, Parker edges it. But Parker always has a ton of passes and today was no exception, Parker had 107 passes to Dembele's 83. They both had 1 key pass each.

Defensively Parker had only 1 tackle and 1 interception, compared to Dembele's 4 tackles and 3 interceptions and Holtby's 3 tackles and 5 interceptions.

Stats obviously don't show everything. Dembele not passing to Bale won't be in the stats, Parker running around to close people down despite not making a tackle in the end won't be in the stats...

-----------------

As for the thread's main question. If we get CL football, yes Parker will still be here. We won't buy another DM as cover for Sandro and sell Parker. We still need squad players that can play DM to cover for them both. CL football usually means there is huge importance in the squad for that season.

We're not going to be able to go out and buy 3 players for each position that are all of top quality to allow for rotation every match. Plus, Parker's speeches are meant to be quite good. We may as well keep him around for leadership, fight, will to win and effort... I don't think we'd be able to replace him with a DM of his quality that has those other qualities that will be prepared to sit on the bench... If you factor in how much we'd get for Parker and the money we'd have to pay for a young player that can replace him in all aspects we'd have our priorities mixed up.

There are key areas of the first XI and bench that can be improved without trying to upgrade a 2nd choice DM that effectively doesn't need replacing.

If our squad significantly improves or our first team significantly improves, we may not need to use Parker against many PL teams even if Sandro is injured anyway. I'm sure AVB would be tempted to play Holtby deeper sometimes and suchlike as it is, but we could end up with a lot more games against teams trying to park the bus, so we might have system tweaks or even a change in dynamic when it comes to midfield.

Parker might just end up being considered only when we're playing teams that actually attack us. I'm sure he can be given a run out for some games too, he'd be a good sub to have if you just wanted more energy but a solid option to close games up. (Plus, him slowing us down wouldn't be a problem if we were winning... As long as he did actually pass to Spurs players.)

He hasn't done badly defensively against a top team this season, at least I can't remember if he has. So he seems a solid choice for the bench. Plus, from the bench he is unlikely to come on as a sub when we are desperate to score... (Although Harry vs Villa last season might suggest otherwise.) That said, he and Dawson are players that don't mind yelling at people to wake them up, so depending on the situation, he might be a good person to send on when we're playing badly. (Remember last season how many times Parker was the only person with a good rating after we'd played badly. He's reliable and consistent.)

I secretly hope we get a VDV type player in the summer, so maybe that's why I'm totally ok with Parker being kept around. If we get a defence unlocking passer that scores more goals than our strikers and gets a ton of assists too, we'll probably end up playing Holtby in CM rather than just off the striker, possibly the same with Siggy. We have so many AMs, and Bale wants to play there too, so I'm not sure we will get a VDV type player, but between left wing being open for Dempsey/Siggy/Holtby and CL games meaning we can really rotate, it isn't as crazy as it sounds. (I know we have Townsend, Carroll, Falque, etc to come back too.)

Overall, I just guess I'd rather money was spent elsewhere when it comes to bringing people in... And there's no reason to lose our 2nd choice DM if we aren't going to replace him.

With Sandro out until October at the earliest, we'd be mad to sell Parker in the Summer.

He's got no sell on value, so there's no point selling him (other than to clear his wages).

I don't think we'll find a much better back-up for Sandro who'll be happy to warm the bench next season. It's certainly not priority summer transfer business.

IMO this summer with our oldies we will keep Parker and Friedel and sell/release Defoe and Gallas.

Yes, I think Parker is still a valued member of our squad and he'll still be part of it for the 2013-14 season.

You simply don't get rid of players of his quality on a whim.

Totally agree with this, some of the gonad*s put up on this forum is embarrassing.

he's on his way out. livermore can stand him for him while we look for and groom the next sandro. how much do you think he'll fetch?

he's on his way out. livermore can stand him for him while we look for and groom the next sandro. how much do you think he'll fetch?

A near 33 year old with 1 year left on his contract?

QPR might give us £500,000; or cancel our subsidy of Jenas' wages.

A near 33 year old with 1 year left on his contract?

QPR might give us £500,000; or cancel our subsidy of Jenas' wages.

Two years.

I think plenty of teams would be happy to spend a few mil on him. I've never been a big fan of his but I'd probably keep him, as a backup he's ok.

He's got no sell on value, so there's no point selling him (other than to clear his wages).

I don't think we'll find a much better back-up for Sandro who'll be happy to warm the bench next season. It's certainly not priority summer transfer business.

IMO this summer with our oldies we will keep Parker and Friedel and sell/release Defoe and Gallas.

Just out of interest, are you saying you would rather keep Adebayor? And who do you think we will replace Defoe with? I would keep Defoe, sell Ade and get at least 1 striker to replace him, possibly 2.

Just out of interest, are you saying you would rather keep Adebayor? And who do you think we will replace Defoe with? I would keep Defoe, sell Ade and get at least 1 striker to replace him, possibly 2.

Definitely. Ade is far more capable, a couple of years younger and much more versatile. There's also no way we'll be able to sell him (as City won't continue to pay half his wages for anyone else).

I'd replace Defoe with Leandro (or equivalent). That would give us two big #9s - one who plays with his back to goal and one who plays on the shoulder. With three #10s (Holtby, Dempsey and Siggy), we'd be pretty sorted then.

I got really confused for about 15 seconds by this thread before realizing you do day/month, not month/day. Seemed a bit silly to have a poll about something that happened 14 days ago! 8-[

Whether it is the right decision or not, I do not know, but I think that it is far more likely that it will be Ade that we are looking to move on in the summer.

I got really confused for about 15 seconds by this thread before realizing you do day/month, not month/day. Seemed a bit silly to have a poll about something that happened 14 days ago! 8-[

Yeah - it's why we tend to mark 9/11 in November (or think you are talking about Porsches)

Back