• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

WHY the summer window has been a success

For me these are all excuses. We can get some of these deals over the line. Wages are an issue, granted. Competing with City for Sane is difficult sure, but there are still players such as Meyer (who we were linked to on the last day). These are gettable players but we have to pay. Ultimately what I'm saying is do we really want to be a top club or simply a well run club. Right now there's more of an excuse with the stadium move.

Look I'm happy with the way we are. I really enjoy the way the club is run. I'm just thinking objectively that if we want to win the league we need to behave like a top club. Look at Arsenal and Liverpool for instance. Arsenal have no excuse, they have their stadium they should be out there competing for the likes of Pogba or the best players in the world. Liverpool have gone into a season without a competent left back. It's almost irresponsible of these sides to not address glaring issues if they invest so much in trying to be a top club. Clubs work so hard to secure Champions League football and then behave like a mid table club when they finally get it.

I don't understand Pool & Scum's strategy is .. it appears

- Scum have accepted 4th as their goal, with the odd domestic cup thrown in.
- Pool is still without a real strategy, other than overpay and churn lots of players.

We are playing the long game, spending an extra 50-60M would not have won us the league or CL, so why put the extra debt on club? That's what the Scum have done for last couple of years, splash out on a name to appease fans with no real ambition of changing their position.

I think Levy's vision is for us to move into our new stadium with a very good team, much improved income stream and very little debt overhead (yes, stadium is expensive, but we have spent a bit of money on it already, naming rights, NFL, improved corporate facilities, non football events, new tv money, etc. will significantly reduce the debt).

If a year into our new stadium, we have manageable debt with strong income, we will be able to step up our spending and target WC players ... in time ...

I don't understand Pool & Scum's strategy is .. it appears

- Scum have accepted 4th as their goal, with the odd domestic cup thrown in.
- Pool is still without a real strategy, other than overpay and churn lots of players.

We are playing the long game, spending an extra 50-60M would not have won us the league or CL, so why put the extra debt on club? That's what the Scum have done for last couple of years, splash out on a name to appease fans with no real ambition of changing their position.

I think Levy's vision is for us to move into our new stadium with a very good team, much improved income cat video on youtube and very little debt overhead (yes, stadium is expensive, but we have spent a bit of money on it already, naming rights, NFL, improved corporate facilities, non football events, new tv money, etc. will significantly reduce the debt).

If a year into our new stadium, we have manageable debt with strong income, we will be able to step up our spending and target WC players ... in time ...

There's a bit of a balancing act going on. We can't compete, wages wise at least, with the money-doped clubs (incl Man U although that description is a bit unfair in their case),until we get the new stadium and everything that will go with it in terms of naming rights, sponsorship deals etc but we need to keep hovering in or around that top 4 spot in order to be able to attract the sponsors that we will need with the new stadium that will allow us to step up to the next level. So we need to spend to at least maintain the status quo, but need to mind the books at the same time so as to not build up additional debt.
Not an easy challenge to get right.

I'm happy with the signings. I think we've added real quality. Yet I don't think we have improved the first 11!

Last edited:
Janssen - covers Kane
Sissoko - covers Dembele
Wanyama - covers Dier
NKoudou - replaces Njie/ Chadli who were cover.

All the signings will start as cover, but can try and force their way into the team. Short of signing a Isco, Progba, it would have been tough to instantly upgrade the starting 11. So we've bought players who provide competition and can rotate. Arguably if Poch had another Kane, Dier, Demeble last season, a fresh version, we'd have closed out the season.

I'm happy with the signings. I think we've added real quality. Yet I don't think we have improved the first 11!

I don't think there's too much wrong with our first XI. It is possible to improve without spending huge amounts of money. Most of our players are still young and will develop further. We should now be able to cope with injuries and manage fitness better.

I'm still trying to work out how I feel after our transfer dealings. I am less 'excited' or expectant than I might normally be about any individual signing (maybe excepting Janssen) - but at the same time feel more confident than usual about the sum of our signings as a whole and what it means for the team. We have been quite specific in filling/improving certain gaps in the squad, it feels that every purchase has a clear purpose, and that there is a clear strategy at play. So sort of "happily underwhelmed", if that makes any sense at all, which it probably doesn't!
Add to this the fact that our chairman is now dancing to the manager's tune (exaggeration, but a very new phenomenon), demonstrating a high level of faith in what Poch is doing, and evidence of a good chairman-manager relationship, it does feel we are in a very good place indeed.

I'm still trying to work out how I feel after our transfer dealings. I am less 'excited' or expectant than I might normally be about any individual signing (maybe excepting Janssen) - but at the same time feel more confident than usual about the sum of our signings as a whole and what it means for the team. We have been quite specific in filling/improving certain gaps in the squad, it feels that every purchase has a clear purpose, and that there is a clear strategy at play. So sort of "happily underwhelmed", if that makes any sense at all, which it probably doesn't!
Add to this the fact that our chairman is now dancing to the manager's tune (exaggeration, but a very new phenomenon), demonstrating a high level of faith in what Poch is doing, and evidence of a good chairman-manager relationship, it does feel we are in a very good place indeed.
As many have said on this magnificently optimistic thread, it appears that Poch is happy with his main men and has added depth to the squad. Which for the first time in a long time means there hasn't been a need at the club to sign definite starters.

Ignore what I was saying earlier I was just looking at it from another angle. We got a great squad and I think we're gonna win it all this season COYS!

Far too soon to be declaring the summer window a success, the season has barely got going. Painful memories of Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches, Soldado and Lamela (initially) should surely persuade us to suspend verdicts for at least one full season, no?

If we consider the aim to be consolidation of a top 4 place (which is already looking as though it will mean having to do what we haven't managed in 2 decades and finally finish above the Arse) then the question is are the players we've signed enough for a 5 point swing in our favour over them (the average number of points we've finished behind them over the past 5 years — although in three of those years, we were only a single point behind). I reckon we ought to be capable.

If we consider the aim to be consolidation of a top 4 place (which is already looking as though it will mean having to do what we haven't managed in 2 decades and finally finish above the Arse) then the question is are the players we've signed enough for a 5 point swing in our favour over them (the average number of points we've finished behind them over the past 5 years — although in three of those years, we were only a single point behind). I reckon we ought to be capable.

Why only them??

City are having a start on par with last season and look where they finished

United look better but haven't actually improved their results like for like on last season. Their squad also looks weak to me defensively
Chelsea look better, but couldn't be any worse so granted their is an improvement there. Again I don't think they have much of a squad but they don't have Europe to worry about which is a big help
Arse have looked worse but it's not unusal for them to have the crap start as we have seen before. They have improved their squad however
Luverpoo can't work out what team will turn up and will be the model of inconsistency I'm sure.
We look as solid as last season but not as creative... But we have addresses the squad issues IMO. We look IMO to be a better set up squad who all know their jobs for the system and as we saw with Leiceter last season that can have a massive impact

Why only them??

City are having a start on par with last season and look where they finished

United look better but haven't actually improved their results like for like on last season. Their squad also looks weak to me defensively
Chelsea look better, but couldn't be any worse so granted their is an improvement there. Again I don't think they have much of a squad but they don't have Europe to worry about which is a big help
Arse have looked worse but it's not unusal for them to have the crap start as we have seen before. They have improved their squad however
Luverpoo can't work out what team will turn up and will be the model of inconsistency I'm sure.
We look as solid as last season but not as creative... But we have addresses the squad issues IMO. We look IMO to be a better set up squad who all know their jobs for the system and as we saw with Leiceter last season that can have a massive impact

It's a simplification, of course (what would you expect at this stage?) but I'm assuming no repeat of last season in terms of the doped clubs, that our main battle will be for fourth, and that they are the likeliest team we are going to have to beat to it.

Far too soon to be declaring the summer window a success, the season has barely got going. Painful memories of Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches, Soldado and Lamela (initially) should surely persuade us to suspend verdicts for at least one full season, no?

Your right it is far too soon you 100% say it a success but on the other hand its far too early to say its not been a good one.

wow, is this really a tottenham board, so much optimism, time for me to put a dampener on it, I'd give the window 6/10 for us for the actual signings and compared to what the other top 4/5 did.

and we've been awful the first 3 games, been lucky to get 5 points so i'm hoping for big improvements from the new signings and the team in general

Back