• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

WHY the summer window has been a success

A good solid squad of 22 players who can all fight for a place in the team. My only question is if Sissokho is a Dembele backup/competition or will he play further forward? I think Alli often plays that role during latter parts of games and that may be it.

Levy has done good.

Biggest thing. We haven't sold any of our stars. Our first 11 are all settled and happy. Biggest success of our transfer window.

A good solid squad of 22 players who can all fight for a place in the team. My only question is if Sissokho is a Dembele backup/competition or will he play further forward? I think Alli often plays that role during latter parts of games and that may be it.

Levy has done good.

Biggest thing. We haven't sold any of our stars. Our first 11 are all settled and happy. Biggest success of our transfer window.

A very good and important point. We have not sold any of our best players this window. That in itself is an achievement considering the copious amounts of money washing around.

A very good and important point. We have not sold any of our best players this window. That in itself is an achievement considering the copious amounts of money washing around.

To be fair no top team has lost any of their players other then Kante

And of course wheelchair has found his level ... By the beach in his wheelchair

We were able to ring-fence the core of the squad the last time we qualified for the CL as well; I wasn't that concerned there'd be serious attempts to denude us of key players this time either. Next summer could be a different story again, though, depending on the obvious.

I think one of the problems last season was that Poch didn't trust the second stringers enough to rest and rotate players.This has now been rectified and there won't be a massive drop of in quality when we rotate in the cups or league games before CL games.We also have many more options generally.Top 4 will be a lot more competitve this time round and i think we have strengthend appropriately.

First off well done Steff, positive and enthusiastic as ever.

A lot of Spurs fans have been tinkled off with Danny Murphy's criticism of Spurs transfer window. To be honest, I understand what he's saying. We are undoubtedly stronger than last season. Very strong players coming in to push the first teamers, but like Murphy I agree, who really gets into our first XI?

This is going to perhaps sound over the top to some, but I think we haven't bought like a club interested in challenging for the title. Now I know people will say the stadium will restrict us and that absolutely makes sense. But let's look at our rivals. United get slated for spending so much on Pogba. But it was one hell of a statement to the football world, that United want to be the best again, and will back their manager to get them back there.
City have not only now got one of the best managers but have bought incredibly well in bringing in Sane, Gabriel Jesus, Nolito and Gundogan.

The opportunity was there to show some real ambition. Ideally I'd have liked us to have try to genuinely improve the first team. That's why I got excited by Isco. Don't get me wrong the squad is very strong and we are set to make a good challenge, but we could have improved that further.

Admittedly we are shopping in a different market than those big clubs. Our wage structure being the biggest obstacle. But I think we have the opportunity to identify the very best young talent around the world at an early enough stage and bid some serious money for a them. Sane, Tah, Meyer, Gabriel, Ousmane Dembele. The next best thing. Of course it will be difficult but we should be bang in there imo for these players.

I think my biggest frustration is that Levy likes to do his business in the last few days. It smacks of a club who are not prioritising football. It's more about profit and deals (which I get are important). But there comes a time where there needs to be some financial risk. It bugs me that Levy always finds £25-30m on the last day trying to squeeze every last penny. Identify early have a clear strategy and do what needs to be done to bring the best next thing here.

Maybe I'm wrong, Levy knows far more than I do and I'm just sounding off. I'm very happy generally with our squad. Arguably the best in my lifetime as a spurs fan. Excited about the season to come and what we can achieve. The hope is the likes of Kane, Alli, Lamela, Eriksen, Dier can take their performances up another level.

COYS

Good news is Wanyama and Sissoko are PL proven players that can go straight in and do a job. Wanyama has worked under Poch before and Sissoko is very much a known quantity. A couple of younger players in Nkoudou and Janssen with the potential to develop into better players perhaps and Janssen has looked a good fit already and seems to be settling in quickly. Along with Wanyama and Sissoko that gives us more options than last season and more depth in our squad for the CL.

Not so good news is no clear improvement to the first team. Partly that can be understood. We're looking to improve through development and our squad was very young last season so we should be able to expect some improvement simply from more experience and player development. Continuing on the negatives I remain worried about a lack of creativity deep in midfield.

Outgoings have been fine. I will continue to rate and like Bentaleb and Mason. But in the end it didn't really work out for either of them. Chadli offered something, but wasn't a great fit. We've gotten good money for squad players unlikely to play a big role. And we've possibly cleared the path for one or two of our younger players to push into first team contention.

It's been a success because we have filled the big holes in the squad (cover for Dier and Kane) and have upgraded on the players we have shipped out (imo). A stronger bench and better options for rotation, which means we can last the pace this season.

Now we just need to recover our form. Hopefully, the new boys will put a bit of life back into the team and we'll get back on track.

Great news is if Alli, Kane and Dier genuinely need some time off, we can start Sissoko, Janssen and Wanyama (even Son)

Vorm
Walker Alder Vert Rose
Wanyama Sissoko
Lamela Son Eriksen
Janssen

That's a strong experienced side still

First off well done Steff, positive and enthusiastic as ever.

A lot of Spurs fans have been tinkleed off with Danny Murphy's criticism of Spurs transfer window. To be honest, I understand what he's saying. We are undoubtedly stronger than last season. Very strong players coming in to push the first teamers, but like Murphy I agree, who really gets into our first XI?

This is going to perhaps sound over the top to some, but I think we haven't bought like a club interested in challenging for the title. Now I know people will say the stadium will restrict us and that absolutely makes sense. But let's look at our rivals. United get slated for spending so much on Pogba. But it was one hell of a statement to the football world, that United want to be the best again, and will back their manager to get them back there.
City have not only now got one of the best managers but have bought incredibly well in bringing in Sane, Gabriel Jesus, Nolito and Gundogan.

The opportunity was there to show some real ambition. Ideally I'd have liked us to have try to genuinely improve the first team. That's why I got excited by Isco. Don't get me wrong the squad is very strong and we are set to make a good challenge, but we could have improved that further.

Admittedly we are shopping in a different market than those big clubs. Our wage structure being the biggest obstacle. But I think we have the opportunity to identify the very best young talent around the world at an early enough stage and bid some serious money for a them. Sane, Tah, Meyer, Gabriel, Ousmane Dembele. The next best thing. Of course it will be difficult but we should be bang in there imo for these players.

I think my biggest frustration is that Levy likes to do his business in the last few days. It smacks of a club who are not prioritising football. It's more about profit and deals (which I get are important). But there comes a time where there needs to be some financial risk. It bugs me that Levy always finds £25-30m on the last day trying to squeeze every last penny. Identify early have a clear strategy and do what needs to be done to bring the best next thing here.

Maybe I'm wrong, Levy knows far more than I do and I'm just sounding off. I'm very happy generally with our squad. Arguably the best in my lifetime as a spurs fan. Excited about the season to come and what we can achieve. The hope is the likes of Kane, Alli, Lamela, Eriksen, Dier can take their performances up another level.

COYS
Diego, we may have done well last season but we are still not an established champs league club and can't compete with the top clubs on wages. Those youngsters you mentioned are some of Europe's top rated youngsters who would probably in this market cost upwards of £35 million and be tracked by clubs with greater financial might than ourselves. I respect Danny Murphy and have a lot of time for him as a pundit. However, it is always easy for a pundit to comment on what is desirable and far harder for the club to make it realistic.

I think my biggest frustration is that Levy likes to do his business in the last few days.

The most important business of the summer was providing adequate cover for Kane and Dier and the deals for Janssen and Wanyama were done early enough.

Unless you know the target and can afford to pay whatever (e.g. the Real or United type megadeals), late deals are inevitable. Buying clubs have multiple targets and put prices on them. If one is priced too high they move on to the next one or wait to see if you can get a lower price later. Is it better to buy the second or third choice early when the first choice might be possible later? Sometimes the money for a purchase needs to be got by selling other players, so the deal needs to be delayed, with the risk that it could fall through. And if money can be saved on the priorities, then additional needs can be addressed. A transfer is not an independent event. In the end, we got good deals on Wanyama and Janssen, sold a few players for good money, and has the money left over for Sissoko.

Then we must consider that the selling clubs also have to get replacements and have to go through the same considerations. A lot of transfers end up being linked. For instance, Palace are upset that they could get McCarthy from Everton because their attempt to sign Sissoko fell through.

Great news is if Alli, Kane and Dier genuinely need some time off, we can start Sissoko, Janssen and Wanyama (even Son)

Vorm
Walker Alder Vert Rose
Wanyama Sissoko
Lamela Son Eriksen
Janssen

That's a strong experienced side still

Surprised to see so many people rate Sissoko for one of the two deep roles in midfield in our system. Might be that it will work out for him there. But it's not where he's been good for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and his skill set doesn't immediately lend itself to that role imo.

I think it would have been a success if we'd only signed Wanyama and Janssen, the biggest holes from last year and filled early in the window.
Not too fussed about the players we've sold; would've liked to have given Prichard a chance, would've been happy for Mason to stay as a squad player.
The other players we've bought are a bonus that may or may not improve us.

For me these are all excuses. We can get some of these deals over the line. Wages are an issue, granted. Competing with City for Sane is difficult sure, but there are still players such as Meyer (who we were linked to on the last day). These are gettable players but we have to pay. Ultimately what I'm saying is do we really want to be a top club or simply a well run club. Right now there's more of an excuse with the stadium move.

Look I'm happy with the way we are. I really enjoy the way the club is run. I'm just thinking objectively that if we want to win the league we need to behave like a top club. Look at Arsenal and Liverpool for instance. Arsenal have no excuse, they have their stadium they should be out there competing for the likes of Pogba or the best players in the world. Liverpool have gone into a season without a competent left back. It's almost irresponsible of these sides to not address glaring issues if they invest so much in trying to be a top club. Clubs work so hard to secure Champions League football and then behave like a mid table club when they finally get it.

Surprised to see so many people rate Sissoko for one of the two deep roles in midfield in our system. Might be that it will work out for him there. But it's not where he's been good for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and his skill set doesn't immediately lend itself to that role imo.
I'll admit I need to see more of him. One thing watching highlights and the odd game, but different when watching him week in week out.
Yea you are right I see him primarily playing in the 3 behind the striker

However, it is always easy for a pundit to comment on what is desirable and far harder for the club to make it realistic.
I agree.

It is possible though. We can't compete with the financial power of United but I really appreciate that they are doing everything in their power to try and win the league again. Fair play to them

@diego_maradona and @Robspur12 you both raise some good points/counter-points

I feel if we were prepared to pay £30M for Sissoko on the last day of the window, who could we have got from out (apparent) list of various targets could we have got earlier if we'd paid that much?
I know Wijnaldum and Batshuayi may have been after wages we couldn't have matched, but there were other playmakers linked who you just wonder, would £30M have meant we'd have some pace AND more creativity through the middle already? Hmmm...

Overall, i take it as a big positie sign that Levy went that extra mile to get Sissoko for Poch in the end, as Poch did say he needed more pace. Fair play.
All eyes on if we can maintain our improvement and Pochettino HAS to know show how well he can rotate and integrate new tactics into the team as well.
It'll be fascinating to see how things go in the autumn for sure.

COYS

Good news is Wanyama and Sissoko are PL proven players that can go straight in and do a job. Wanyama has worked under Poch before and Sissoko is very much a known quantity. A couple of younger players in Nkoudou and Janssen with the potential to develop into better players perhaps and Janssen has looked a good fit already and seems to be settling in quickly. Along with Wanyama and Sissoko that gives us more options than last season and more depth in our squad for the CL.

Not so good news is no clear improvement to the first team. Partly that can be understood. We're looking to improve through development and our squad was very young last season so we should be able to expect some improvement simply from more experience and player development. Continuing on the negatives I remain worried about a lack of creativity deep in midfield.

Outgoings have been fine. I will continue to rate and like Bentaleb and Mason. But in the end it didn't really work out for either of them. Chadli offered something, but wasn't a great fit. We've gotten good money for squad players unlikely to play a big role. And we've possibly cleared the path for one or two of our younger players to push into first team contention.

With the extra brawn in the team now, could this be where Tom Carroll becomes more key?

Interesting overview opinion from the infamous Trix from SC:
===

Transfer window round up as promised.

From my point of view and others have different sources so I can't speak for them, but imo the info hasn't dried up. What is the case for me though is that in most cases I'm hearing about it later than perhaps I used to. What is the case for certain is that there is a lot less going on than in previous windows, and as such there is far less to hear about. I'd also say we have a far wider net now searching for players, and representatives of the club are at so many games. There have been so many media links this Summer, and most of them are down nothing more than us having people there and a journalist or agent puts two and two together and comes up with 5. It was difficult to rubbish anything(on my part) because we probably had been to see them, and as I say info was coming through at the later stages than in previous windows
Back in May I was told quite comprehensively that this transfer window was all about the evolution of the squad. The priority was to keep hold of all the core players and that we were only looking to bring three in, a CF, DM and as it was reputedly put to me a "forward". The only way we'd do anything else was if we could move enough people on. We had a shortlist of players that had been worked on for months and irrespective of whether or not we qualified for the CL, we wanted the same players. It was about hungry players that understood the managers philosophy and who fit that style of play. Although there was an awful lot of ground work done we apparently knew fairly early on that we had likely missed out on Batshuayi due to interest from other parties, but held on until we were sure. What did emerge during that time though was that the second choice was busting a gut to come here and was happy to brush everything else aside to do just that. This I'm told made him a no brainer as far as Poch was concerned and so Janssen soon became the top target. Wanyama was an easy one for so many reasons and already we can IMO see why. He is absolutely made to play in a Potchettino side and will clearly run through walls for the man.

Count Doukou dragged for so many reasons. The main one being Marseille are potless have had to sell all there best players and still couldn't get in replacements. Neither N'Jie or ourselves were sold on him leaving the club, but OM really pushed for this. They wanted a compulsory buy option(cheap) also, but As I say it was not something we were keen on, which is why it looks like the end the compromise was the loan and that's it.

Outs.
The players fell into three categories Those that would not be sold, Those that were not wanted, and those that were going to get limited game time. All the players knew right from the off where they stood. No one was kept in the dark and as far as I'm aware the clubs stance on all the players did not change throughout the Summer. Most of the limited minutes players didn't want to go but once the PL started and they realised they really weren't going to play mindsets changed. (good luck to them all)

Deadline day

Early doors I was told we were working on two. I got nothing else of note until teatime when I was told we were likely to get Sissoko and that Daniel knew how important it was to MP. Not sure how many times I posted...."Wait until you hear something official either way" but that is exactly how it is with deadline day deals. They are often on and off then back on again as the two clubs try and out Levy each other. Bottom line here though is the Chairman backed the manager, whether you like the players or not. Levy(this time) is not to blame Poch 100% had the final say on every in and out.

Who knows, perhaps, just perhaps, Lessons have finally been learnt?:eek:

====

Hold on...is @thfcsteff actually Trix??:eek:

Back