• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Why are people so intellectually challenged?

I think that maybe blandness is their rebellion. The best way to rebel against our excesses of the 90s is to turn down smoking, drinking, drugs and any kind of risk.

I suspect the scene that comes along to blow it all away will be like when punk killed off disco (the worst music scene there's ever been).

The relates to my above comment, but music and new music styles and even fashion are driven first by technological innovation. A good example is how synthesisers and drum machines drove music into the styles of the 80s. New instruments like that are hard to come by these days.

There hasn't been a serious cultural movement like new wave, britpop or punk etc. since the mid 1990s. I wonder if this is related to the rise of the internet, napster, social networks etc. as this all started at the same time.

the film Idiocracy whilst being a comedy and a parody is a frightening glimpse into what mankind could look like down the road

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/josie-cunningham-selling-tickets-see-3928938

Didnt want to give her the privilege of a new thread and felt that this woman is as intellectually challenged as they come.

I am a bit upset that this woman is free to roam the streets and the media give her the attention. She is a really grotesque individual and really needs to be put down more than anything else.

[video=youtube;yg2u_De8j5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2u_De8j5o[/video]

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/josie-cunningham-selling-tickets-see-3928938

Didnt want to give her the privilege of a new thread and felt that this woman is as intellectually challenged as they come.

I am a bit upset that this woman is free to roam the streets and the media give her the attention. She is a really grotesque individual and really needs to be put down more than anything else.
According to her she just made 30 grand in 14 minutes, so perhaps not as intellectually challenged as the 4 perverts who've coughed up for it.

Agree she's a grotesque though (good word), but the media love people like this so they can pretend to be appalled while continuing to print stories about them.

According to her she just made 30 grand in 14 minutes, so perhaps not as intellectually challenged as the 4 perverts who've coughed up for it.

Agree she's a grotesque though (good word), but the media love people like this so they can pretend to be appalled while continuing to print stories about them.

True and she knows how to make money albeit in a grotesque manner. Since she came in the media spotlight (dont even remember how) she has just been a ****.

I htink Clownie above summed it up perfectly haha.

The relates to my above comment, but music and new music styles and even fashion are driven first by technological innovation. A good example is how synthesisers and drum machines drove music into the styles of the 80s. New instruments like that are hard to come by these days.

There hasn't been a serious cultural movement like new wave, britpop or punk etc. since the mid 1990s. I wonder if this is related to the rise of the internet, napster, social networks etc. as this all started at the same time.

Maybe that is the cultural movement......problem is, there is some fantastic use of the internet as a window/tool/creative channel but sadly is often drowned out by a sea of nothingness, meaningless, inane drivel that unfortunately people have become ok with consuming and all from the comfort of their sofa, train seat, office desk and double bed. It's easy to consume and takes zero effort......

you would think the internet would be the perfect catalyst and things would rise up out of the internet, but unfortunately it has made people lazy or maybe people think everything can be achieved from behind a screen.?

*(no way is this a reflection on glory glory, a model use of how the internet was intended);)

Maybe that is the cultural movement......problem is, there is some fantastic use of the internet as a window/tool/creative channel but sadly is often drowned out by a sea of nothingness, meaningless, inane drivel that unfortunately people have become ok with consuming and all from the comfort of their sofa, train seat, office desk and double bed. It's easy to consume and takes zero effort......

you would think the internet would be the perfect catalyst and things would rise up out of the internet, but unfortunately it has made people lazy or maybe people think everything can be achieved from behind a screen.?

*(no way is this a reflection on glory glory, a model use of how the internet was intended);)

I think you're taking the internet a little for granted, Wikipedia is a perfect example of a revolutionary resource to rise from the internet.

While it's not exactly a single invention, I think the internet will go down with the things like the steam engine as one of the most important inventions of all time. Personal Computers had been around for a long time but didn't become ubiquitous in our lives until the internet.

I think you're taking the internet a little for granted, Wikipedia is a perfect example of a revolutionary resource to rise from the internet.

While it's not exactly a single invention, I think the internet will go down with the things like the steam engine as one of the most important inventions of all time. Personal Computers had been around for a long time but didn't become ubiquitous in our lives until the internet.

Just to clarify...

What i was saying was specifically in relation to the comments about cultural movements (lack of) of the younger generation and Andyandy idea that it could be connected with the rise of the internet. Maybe too many of the younger generation are busy doing something close to nothing (in a creative, movement, ground breaking kind of way) and the internet has a lot to do with this.

I do agree with your general assessment of the internet and it has certainly changed my (a most peoples) lives. I mean lets face it, it's just so bloody useful! BUT although it looks nailed on to be up there with the best invention ever....i have a little niggle that there is a chance that PC's and the internet could be the biggest cul-de-sac in human history. Whether it be information overload, human beings inbuilt gene to select the sh*t,lazy,easy option (internet is nirvana for this) and the sedentary lifestyle it encourages, taking us from doing things (outdoors etc) that i am convinced are for the greater good of our wellbeing.

Anyway gotta drag myself away from this office chair and collect my daughter:)............................the beach awaits though

Its not just the rise of the internet and social media creating a new culture in the young but also the media and government have had a lot of input into this. The rise of the culture of suing for every little thing has seen the government and other authorities ban things like conkers, bulldog etc and the media have hyped up scare stories creating a generation of nannied children wrapped in cotton wool. Children haven't been allowed to develop a sense of risk and discover actions & consequences.

I definitely agree that the internet has removed the possibility of many sub-cultures growing naturally. It can be beneficial to spread the word and get more like minded people involved, but like Jazz and Blues enthusiasts, anybody who was there at the start will never like the new crowd that is attracted. The movement will be engineered to become more accessible to the whole world instead of an early audience that is much smaller, but more in line with the original ethos of a movement.

The internet has removed mystery from the world, especially in terms of music and art. Twitter, which has it's plus points although I dislike it, is definitely an example of this. Imagine in the 1960's that Twitter existed, do you think Captain Beefheart would be telling everybody what he had for lunch? As fun as that would be, it wouldn't happen. There are still people who believe in sub-cultures. Psychedelic music for instance, has a large following around Europe, the world even, but it is restricted to never have mass appeal.

Not to mention that pop stars in today's world are, by and large, just two bob idiots with no opinions. Or at least if they have opinions those opinions are suppressed by PR men. If someone has controversial opinions, speaking out against injustice or the government, then they aren't appealing to a label. They aren't marketable unless they are malleable and moulded. This is why we get cnuts like Gary Barlow.

Interesting thread, to the original poster, Darwin's theory in large part does not apply to humanity. We have removed ourselves from the food chain (the only life form to do so), and we adapt our environment to us (housing, electricity, heating, running water) that limits any possible environmental evolutionary pushes.

We are ahead of our ancestors as a collective, we have done a great job of collective knowledge and as a species we are more capable athletically (bigger, faster, more agile).

The challenge becomes we are doing absolutely nothing to raise the minimum bar, a certain % of the human species is greater than it has ever been, but that % is small and we are not collectively trying to either improve the lowest common denominator or minimize the growth of the bottom end of scale.

The cultural change required to alter that, to embrace intellectual and physical improvement, step away from ignorance, tribalism and herd mentality looks centuries away at this point.

Talking of intellectually challenged, there's a typo and the incorrect use of a word in that Mirror article.

****ing so-called journalists.

Paul Mills-Ash, 29, said: "I've followed Josie's career since she first came into the public eye. I'm using my savings to buy a £5k ticket. It's a lot of money but it's worth it. It'll be great to say I was at the birth in years to come."

facepalm.gif

Back