• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Which is Daniel Levy's worst decision as Spurs chairman ?

Which is the worst ever decision taken by Daniel Levy as the Spurs chairman ?

• Sacking George Graham before the FA Cup semi final in 2001

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Sacking Martin Jol despite finishing in 5th for 2 years

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Sacking Harry Redknapp despite qualifying for CL

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Not signing Moutinho in the pre-season

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Not signing a striker in this transfer window

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Selling Modric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Selling Berbatov

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Putting salary cap which prevents us buying many top players

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always waiting until last minute to sign players

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Others

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
I'm guessing you've never managed at a Premier League club before? Does that stop questioning a manager's football decisions or his understanding?

Your guess is right, but my point still stands. But maybe i should bow to the greater knowledge of those who play games instead of those who actually get of their arses and watch real football.

But he runs the club like a business. It's my view that his ditherings in the transfer window shows a lack of understanding of the game. I don't know him personally, but I don't know AVB personally either but that should not stop me offering an opinion on some of his decisions. I'm also not necessarily buying that Levy is a huge Spurs fan. We don't believe it when Teddy Sheringham, Robbie Keane or David Bentley says so why should we believe Levy?

I can't agree with that by the way.

I honestly believe that what you call dithering saves us quite a bit of money on average on each deal we make. We often make 5+ signings and 10+ deals in a season by my guess. Even a fairly small average saving/extra earning on each of those deals adds up to significant money for the club. Money that is then spent to sign other players, get our existing players to sign contracts etc. I would not be surprised if the money he saved on various deals last summer added up to enough money to fund the transfer fee for one out of Sig/Dempsey for example.

It also seems likely to me that waiting until the end allows us to sign players that we otherwise wouldn't be able to sign as the player might wait it out to see if bigger clubs came in for them earlier in the window or the clubs might be unwilling to sell for a price we can afford.

I'm convinced Levy realizes that there are downsides to his strategy, he's not a complete idiot.

I don't understand what basis you have to question his understanding of the game based on how he weighs the positives and negatives of that strategy.

That's pretty much it. Yes he manages to get get good deals on deadline day, but we could have done with Adebayor for the first game. Instead, we had Defoe and Harry Kane. It may save money but that in my view has to be balanced out against not having a settled squad and not having the services of players for the start of the season. A single point was the difference between 3rd and 4th last season, it may come down to that again. So perhaps my point is he is TOO business minded in certain situations when he should look at certain situations from more of a football related stance.

What if signing Adebayor had cost us £15m and £150k a week in wages and as a result we couldn't sign Lloris and Dembele, would it still have been a good idea to do the deal early?

Your guess is right, but my point still stands. But maybe i should bow to the greater knowledge of those who play games instead of those who actually get of their arses and watch real football.

Ok so you've always bowed to the knowledge of our current manager and previous managers then and you've never questioned their judgement despite them knowing more than you. Good thing you're being 100% truthful otherwise you would look like a bit of a hypocrite.

Last edited:
I can't agree with that by the way.

I honestly believe that what you call dithering saves us quite a bit of money on average on each deal we make. We often make 5+ signings and 10+ deals in a season by my guess. Even a fairly small average saving/extra earning on each of those deals adds up to significant money for the club. Money that is then spent to sign other players, get our existing players to sign contracts etc. I would not be surprised if the money he saved on various deals last summer added up to enough money to fund the transfer fee for one out of Sig/Dempsey for example.

It also seems likely to me that waiting until the end allows us to sign players that we otherwise wouldn't be able to sign as the player might wait it out to see if bigger clubs came in for them earlier in the window or the clubs might be unwilling to sell for a price we can afford.

I'm convinced Levy realizes that there are downsides to his strategy, he's not a complete idiot.

I don't understand what basis you have to question his understanding of the game based on how he weighs the positives and negatives of that strategy.

Because you stand more chance of picking up points if you have a settled squad and the manager has the majority of his transfer targets signed and in the squad from day one. More points means a higher chance of finishing in the top 4. I appreciate his strategy has it's advantages, but it's not perfect and it would be nice if he deviated from it every now and then, not every time.

What if signing Adebayor had cost us £15m and £150k a week in wages and as a result we couldn't sign Lloris and Dembele, would it still have been a good idea to do the deal early?

Then you negotiate and try and get the deal done as soon as possible. If the other club want to continue to try and mug you off, then you re-evaluate the situation and maybe move on to other targets. Like I said to Brain, I realise his methods have their upsides, but it wouldn't be the worst thing if he deviated from it on occasion, like he did with Lewis Holtby for example. I'm sure he could have let the deal go down to the wire, but to his credit, he got the deal done earlier than I expected him to.

Ok so you've always bowed to the knowledge of our current manager and previous managers then and you've never questioned their judgement despite them knowing more than you. Good thing you're being 100% truthful otherwise you would look like a bit of a hypocrite.

Never said i have not questioned decisions, however i do not question the abilty of managers or chairman to know more about the game then me. Mind you having said that i obviously do not have the knowledge that game players have so maybe they are more clued up then me.

Because you stand more chance of picking up points if you have a settled squad and the manager has the majority of his transfer targets signed and in the squad from day one. More points means a higher chance of finishing in the top 4. I appreciate his strategy has it's advantages, but it's not perfect and it would be nice if he deviated from it every now and then, not every time.

I get that point. I'm not a fudging idiot.

My point is that Levy obviously also understands that.

You get more points by having a settled squad, but you also get more points by having better players. If as you suggest we move on to other targets if we can't sign our preferred target early on then that also means getting a player that the manager considers to be inferior (why else would he be lower down the list of targets?). That might also cost points. Spending the extra money to get the player in early might mean having a thinner squad because more money is spent on each player, again this can cost points. And like you said, more points means a higher chance of finishing in the top 4...

Inferior players will also influence the team for years to come, while getting players in late primarily influences the team for that early part of the season.

He does deviate it every now and then (at least), like he did when we signed Vertonghen and Sig this summer and like he did with Holtby like you said. That's 3 out of the 7 first team players signed under AVB. Surely that must count as at least "now and then".

Never said i have not questioned decisions, however i do not question the abilty of managers or chairman to know more about the game then me. Mind you having said that i obviously do not have the knowledge that game players have so maybe they are more clued up then me.

I really don't know why you keep saying the same thing over and over. At least Milo and the other posters who disgaree are able to give some good analysis and reasonable explanations as to why they disagree with me, I respect that. It's far better to engage with people who do this rather than giving us throwaway one liners all the time. Doesn't really add a lot to the board.

I really don't know why you keep saying the same thing over and over. At least Milo and the other posters who disgaree are able to give some good analysis and reasonable explanations as to why they disagree with me, I respect that. It's far better to engage with people who do this rather than giving us throwaway one liners all the time. Doesn't really add a lot to the board.

Whoa their horse i have not entered into a disagreement with you, you quoted my post with a point and i have answered do not spit your dummy out.

I get that point. I'm not a fudging idiot.

My point is that Levy obviously also understands that.

You get more points by having a settled squad, but you also get more points by having better players. If as you suggest we move on to other targets if we can't sign our preferred target early on then that also means getting a player that the manager considers to be inferior (why else would he be lower down the list of targets?). That might also cost points. Spending the extra money to get the player in early might mean having a thinner squad because more money is spent on each player, again this can cost points. And like you said, more points means a higher chance of finishing in the top 4...

Inferior players will also influence the team for years to come, while getting players in late primarily influences the team for that early part of the season.

He does deviate it every now and then (at least), like he did when we signed Vertonghen and Sig this summer and like he did with Holtby like you said. That's 3 out of the 7 first team players signed under AVB. Surely that must count as at least "now and then".

Jesus christ chill out! This is the sort of thing that makes me believe that some people just won't have ANY criticism of Levy. Even if you acknowledge his good points, if you're not in total agreement with every decision he makes, you want him out.

Then you negotiate and try and get the deal done as soon as possible. If the other club want to continue to try and mug you off, then you re-evaluate the situation and maybe move on to other targets. Like I said to Brain, I realise his methods have their upsides, but it wouldn't be the worst thing if he deviated from it on occasion, like he did with Lewis Holtby for example. I'm sure he could have let the deal go down to the wire, but to his credit, he got the deal done earlier than I expected him to.

Would you be happy with a lower quality player but a settled squad at the start of the season?

This discussion reminds me of the project management triangle

time-cost-quality-triangle.jpg

you can only have two of the three points on the triangle in any project, which is basically what a transfer window is. What do we sacrifice?

This discussion reminds me of the project management triangle

time-cost-quality-triangle.jpg

you can only have two of the three points on the triangle in any project, which is basically what a transfer window is. What do we sacrifice?

Just to clarify, you can have it quick and cheap but quality will suffer, you can have good quality and cheap but it will take time and you can have good quality and quickly but it will cost more money.

Back