• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Where is it going wrong in attack?

By all means contest away, as you say it makes for interesting debate but it's the tone of the contesting which sometimes makes it feel like an attack. Not meant at you in particular by the way.

putting yourself in the oppositions shoes for one moment can you not see how they would feel the same way?

putting yourself in the oppositions shoes for one moment can you not see how they would feel the same way?

Yep maybe, but they are not the ones being met with the undertone of "you are being disloyal to AVB or you are not a committed fan." Anyway we are going off topic mate. So Lets take it outside;)

BTW isn't it so typically spurs when the top teams seem to favour little, tricky midfielders we are going big, brutish units. In the 90s when the top teams were going for athletes we went for Jose Dominguez and Ruel Fox.

I did think most of our problems came from not having an attacking full back like Rose playing, however Vertonghen today provided that width. All I can think is that with our possession we need to be drawing the defenders out with the #9 and #10 switching position, much like how Kane and Defoe did the other night for Kane's goal. IMHO we should rest Paulinho and go with Sig and Eriksen/Holtby. I can't help but feel that with a player like Sig finding the ball on the edge of the opponents box we are more likely to see some of those long range efforts fly in. All this talk of AVBs double pivot makes me think that maybe the pivot should be higher up the field in the final third with two of our more creative players providing options and not two deep fairly defensive midfielders looking towards a single creative player. We looked good against Arsenal at times in the 433 and I remember many times, Paulinho or Dembele finding the ball on the turn in the final third. At the time I felt a more creative player would've made the right decision from their position. I think the change to 4231 has left us too rigid in the middle and we lack that movement that can draw the oppositions defence out. We obviously have the players so the system must be at fault.

On the subject of wingers, I can't understand what AVB has seen in Lennon to convince him to play him on the left. Lennon hasn't the confidence to take a shot on most the time. If we play him it can only be wide right with Chadli opposite providing more of a presence in the box. Likewise if we play Lamela on the right, we may be better with a more traditional winger on the left (Andros perhaps).

I disagreed? When was that? Was I saying we shouldn't try and keep Bale or Modric and if they wanted to go we should let them?

I don't expect that high a turn over of players for a long time now. When AVB took over we lost a lot of our top players. He was given Dempsey, Siggy, Dembele, Lloris and Vertonghen to plug some pretty big gaps. Then our only genuine world class talent leaves for a record transfer last season. Baldini is someone AVB said he wanted to work with for a long time and I do believe he was happy with the signings he's got.

In all honesty I always backed Harry. And now I'm backing AVB.

For sure if we receive world record fees for players who aren't worth anywhere near the amount bid for them, then it would be illogical to turn it down. But let's say Real Madrid bid £30m for Vertonghen, I personally would like to see Levy dig in like he did with Modric and Chelsea rather than taking the money.

I think you're talking about a very small minority who want AVB gone, if any really. But some of us haven't particularly enjoyed our style of play under AVB and it hasn't improved much in just over a season. I think we should be allowed to criticise certain aspects of performance and still be happy with the results. I'd just like to know why people aren't allowed to be unhappy with eeking out wins at home to Hull and not creating chances? I get that we aren't the finished article yet, but with the players we have at our disposal we shouldn't be so toothless going forward. Some of it has to be down to coaching surely?

We are too far down AVB's road to start changing our ethos now.....I can see what we are trying to do and I can see our limitations in pulling it off. Playing the way we are its a hard tactic to perfect.

Rome wasn't built in a day.....precisely the sentiment that will annoy people but its true......thinks like perfecting this system WILL take time.

Really surprised at some of the strong views here though regarding AVB.....some of them imo are over the top.

What is he trying to do? We look like we may never score again. All I've been reading is that things are going well, the team hasn't settled, they haven't found their rhythm etc.
They do not have a clue what to do in the final third, they do not create chances and we've only scored 9 times this season!!

Most worrying is that avb is persisting with whatever he is trying to do and seems to be oblivious to our lack of goals/ ambitions and ruthlessness!
imo the problem is coming from the manager-does he know what he is doing?

We leave Eriksen, Sigurdsson and Lamela, arguably our three most creative players, on the bench in the last two games. Lamela doesn't get on the pitch in either, Sigurdsson didn't against Hull, Eriksen didn't until the 86th minute today.

You want more goals, play your most creative players. Simple.

I'm sorry mate but you've been saying this for a while now and it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. You also said our home performances have suddenly improved because of one game vs norwich and look what's happened since then.

In terms of the football we're producing it's safe to say it's the worst brand of football since Santini was in charge. 1 and a quarter years playing an utterly hideous brand of football at home where we create about 1 clear cut chance every 5 games is more than disturbing and something needs to be done about it.

Yeah I do remember saying that we had improved because of Norwich..mainly because of the fact that I don't think we produced a performance like that at home to a team that would come and park the bus for the entirety of last season. We were able to control the game and make the chances we needed to make through good team play and not individual skill. I thought it may be smooth sailing for us at home to lesser teams from there on in but it turns out a team with 7 new signings takes a little bit more time to bed in and find their rhythm...who knew?

Do you seriously think though, that this is the end goal? That right now, we are playing the style of football AVB ultimately wants to get to? You are seriously ready to throw in your lot, and confidently say that this is it? We've had 7 games since the transfer window closed. Come on man.

What is he trying to do? We look like we may never score again. All I've been reading is that things are going well, the team hasn't settled, they haven't found their rhythm etc.
They do not have a clue what to do in the final third, they do not create chances and we've only scored 9 times this season!!

Most worrying is that avb is persisting with whatever he is trying to do and seems to be oblivious to our lack of goals/ ambitions and ruthlessness!
imo the problem is coming from the manager-does he know what he is doing?

Said this to you in another thread but the guy is 4th, teams like Emirates Marketing Project are below us because we have been getting results. Does Pelligrini know what he is doing? Of course he does.

So does AVB though. And this is so clearly not what he ultimately wants from us. We are so clearly a work in progress and we have so clearly focussed on the defensive side of our game first to become hard to beat, because it's confidence building and once we've learnt how to press well and control the ball, we can then look to create chances while being comfortable in possession as well as by having the space afforded to us by teams that attack.

the thing which annoys me the most is that it so clearly NOT the end result of what he's aiming for - we've barely seen a ball kicked from our biggest ever transfer - our creative midfield signing is yet to bed himself in to a regular starting position, the attacking players have not found any rhythm with each other - yet there are people who think that 10 games in to a season where there has been a massive overhaul is when we should be drawing conclusions on where we're going - it's a ****ing joke frankly. come the end of the season with Lamela and Eriksen fully bedded in (or not as the case may be) and if we're still struggling through games, then yes i could at least begin to understand some of the more hyperbolic negativity coming from some posters - but these same posters have pretty much been complaining about the issues from day one which makes a mockery of their "i know we need to give the time" crap

So true, so bang on man.

Said this to you in another thread but the guy is 4th, teams like Emirates Marketing Project are below us because we have been getting results. Does Pelligrini know what he is doing? Of course he does.

So does AVB though. And this is so clearly not what he ultimately wants from us. We are so clearly a work in progress and we have so clearly focussed on the defensive side of our game first to become hard to beat, because it's confidence building and once we've learnt how to press well and control the ball, we can then look to create chances while being comfortable in possession as well as by having the space afforded to us by teams that attack.

How do you know this to be the case? I'm presenting an opposite view based on what we have all seen. We are struggling to score BECAUSE we are not creating chances. It's out there for all to see. So is the pedestrian pace and the lack of movement.
It is also very lacklustre and in fairness very negative.

You on the other hand are assuming that things will improve and that avb has a master plan. How do you know? What has lead to this summation? What glimpses of this have I missed in the last 10 games?
imo it is hope and blind faith.
You hope that this is what will happen eventually and you have faith in what you perceive to be the mangers vision for the team.
I, sadly, cannot be so sure but then again I may be wrong! I hope I am wrong and you are right!

We leave Eriksen, Sigurdsson and Lamela, arguably our three most creative players, on the bench in the last two games. Lamela doesn't get on the pitch in either, Sigurdsson didn't against Hull, Eriksen didn't until the 86th minute today.

In the last two games? Lamela, siggy and Eriksen all started our midweek game.

Two of them played 120 minutes of football, I am not surprised in the least that lamela and siggy did not start yesterday. It's a squad game, we're using our squad and getting good results. I am hoping that this in turn will help us avoid the late season slump that we have had in previous seasons and improve our chances of securing a top four finish.

Last edited:
We are now in November and I will repeat what I have said before on this thread..........

In 2013 Defoe and Soldado have scored ONE league goal each from open play. The 'small, lone striker' is clearly not working.. Yes, we finished fifth last season and are currently fourth but that was down to some Bale wonder goals and some debatable penalty decisions this season.

When there is no aerial threat it allows teams to depend deep and get 9 or 10 players behind the ball and limit space for our quick players to exploit. We have seen this happen countless times and currently have no plan B...

I am sure people will disagree as they have before, and football is of course a game of opinions, but just 2 league goals cannot be ignored.

We need Benteke...

the thing which annoys me the most is that it so clearly NOT the end result of what he's aiming for - we've barely seen a ball kicked from our biggest ever transfer - our creative midfield signing is yet to bed himself in to a regular starting position, the attacking players have not found any rhythm with each other - yet there are people who think that 10 games in to a season where there has been a massive overhaul is when we should be drawing conclusions on where we're going - it's a ****ing joke frankly. come the end of the season with Lamela and Eriksen fully bedded in (or not as the case may be) and if we're still struggling through games, then yes i could at least begin to understand some of the more hyperbolic negativity coming from some posters - but these same posters have pretty much been complaining about the issues from day one which makes a mockery of their "i know we need to give the time" crap
=D>

I was driving home from the game yesterday and went on talksport, and my view I put across was that I feel we need to play with at least one natural wide man, I would like to see Lamela and townsend or Lennon and Siggy as our wide men, and it would give us one invert and one natural wide man.

The two inverts are clearly not working, Ive said for the last 6 weeks townsend is too predictable and isnt able to beat a premiership defender on the outside. WatchSoldado's goals in spain and see where the majority of his service comes from, winger down the line and cross, one touch finish.

Im not sure how long AVB will continue with this combination but with Saudi Sportswashing Machine, City and United up next, we will need more than we are currently getting.

I was driving home from the game yesterday and went on talksport, and my view I put across was that I feel we need to play with at least one natural wide man, I would like to see Lamela and townsend or Lennon and Siggy as our wide men, and it would give us one invert and one natural wide man.

The two inverts are clearly not working, Ive said for the last 6 weeks townsend is too predictable and isnt able to beat a premiership defender on the outside. WatchSoldado's goals in spain and see where the majority of his service comes from, winger down the line and cross, one touch finish.

Im not sure how long AVB will continue with this combination but with Saudi Sportswashing Machine, City and United up next, we will need more than we are currently getting.

Lennon and Townsend should have been swapped yesterday for the second half. Just have a go at the defenders and get it in the box.

Whatever is going wrong in attack, Lennon on the left just doesn't work. 3rd manager to try it, just please stop it.

Like we did against Hull in the league cup?

Back